Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #1

D-LI90 Battery care?

Hello,

I've got the standard D-LI90 battery which comes with the K-5, and I just want to know how best to take care of it, with regards to charging. Should I always, always let the battery completely die before charging it? Or is it okay to charge it again when it's only half depleted?

Thanks!

09-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I haven't had any issues with any of my batteries, Pentax-branded or not. I usually charge when the battery gets low, not usually completely empty, and put a spare in the camera. When the other battery is through charging, it stays in stand-by until needed. Been doing it this way for years with no problems. For ultimate battery-life, however, you'd want one fresh off the charger. These batteries are not temperamental divas, though. I haven't noticed them requiring any specialized care. Never had one "go bad" on me, either. I have occasionally charged a half-full battery with no ill-effects, but I don't make a habit of it.
09-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I haven't had any issues with any of my batteries, Pentax-branded or not. I usually charge when the battery gets low, not usually completely empty, and put a spare in the camera. When the other battery is through charging, it stays in stand-by until needed. Been doing it this way for years with no problems. For ultimate battery-life, however, you'd want one fresh off the charger. These batteries are not temperamental divas, though. I haven't noticed them requiring any specialized care. Never had one "go bad" on me, either. I have occasionally charged a half-full battery with no ill-effects, but I don't make a habit of it.
+1 I do the same.
09-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

In my own experience, DogLover is right. Lithium Ion batteries are resilient and durable - no matter when or how they're charged.

But, according to this site Ask Ars: What is the best way to use a Li-ion battery?:
"One of the worst things you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it out completely all the time. Full discharges put a lot of strain on the battery, and it's much better practice to do shallow discharges to no lower than 20 percent..."

And if you're curious, there are more technical details here: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

09-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
In my own experience, DogLover is right. Lithium Ion batteries are resilient and durable - no matter when or how they're charged.

But, according to this site Ask Ars: What is the best way to use a Li-ion battery?:
"One of the worst things you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it out completely all the time. Full discharges put a lot of strain on the battery, and it's much better practice to do shallow discharges to no lower than 20 percent..."

And if you're curious, there are more technical details here: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
This was confirmed by our tool reps a few weeks ago. We had a seminar with reps from DeWalt, Milwaukee, and Ridgid a while back and they indicated the same thing. Don't fully discharge lithium ion batteries.
It's probably not such a big deal with a camera battery because the strain isn't quite as high as what a power tool puts on the battery, but at the same time, the battery in a camera is a lot smaller.