Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #16

I would bet it is the MS HD photo set. Pentax did release the PEF codec for vista and it was signed. Also makes sense since MS might not be able to muscle in on the standards of N&C, but pentax being a smaller player could go with it since then MS will nativley support the format and further differentiate it from the other players.

Found this blog off of MSDN.

Bill Crow's HD Photo Blog

12-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Why are new DSLRs now having "live view" just seems to defeat the purpose of having an SLR. Get a P&S for a live view, not a DSLR. Plus the price tag probably will reflect it as well.

Tom
12-07-2007, 09:55 PM   #18

It is a useful tool for still life and macro shots.
12-07-2007, 10:12 PM   #19
Forum Member

I don't really see how, I wouldn't think that focusing would be possible with it, so I guess I don't see the benifits of it. Please enlighten me with them. As I don't do a lot of macro shots.

Thanks
Tom

12-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Redmanll34 Quote
I don't really see how, I wouldn't think that focusing would be possible with it, so I guess I don't see the benifits of it. Please enlighten me with them. As I don't do a lot of macro shots.

Thanks
Tom
Live view would be nice for macro so that I could see what the camera is looking at. Some macro work is really close to the ground/table/chair/ and it takes some contortions to see what is being aimed at.

That said, I think I will finally spring for a right angle finder when I can find one for a reasonable price.
12-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Why are new DSLRs now having "live view" just seems to defeat the purpose of having an SLR. Get a P&S for a live view, not a DSLR. Plus the price tag probably will reflect it as well.

I agree: Live view is mostly a gimmick.

It's useful very occasionally if the camera is on a tripod and you can't very easily get your eyeball up to the viewfinder.

I would prefer not to pay for it, or have it. Sounds like we'll get it willy-nilly in the k20D, but I suppose you don't have to use it.

Will
12-07-2007, 11:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Why are new DSLRs now having "live view" just seems to defeat the purpose of having an SLR.
It gives you 100% view (instead of the 95% viewfinder).
It allows real time histogram and exposure preview (plus blow out/underexposed area real time indicator); adjusting exposure compensation would be so much easier.
It allows real time preview and adjustment of white balance (no more "Oops, forgot to change back the WB" when shooting jpg).
It allows awkward angle shot.
It allows remote shooting some distance from the camera without tether.
It can give you magnified view for manual focusing.

Both auto focus and metering is possible (though not implemented by Oly). AF can be done by Contrast Detection - just like your P&S; it will be slower but possible. If they manage to use the CCD for metering (just like your P&S), Auto WB problem will be a thing of the past, and metering could also be more accurate.

Current generation of LiveView is still a bit limited, but all the features I mentioned above will be implemented sooner or later.

Potentially, it can offer a much faster burst mode (something like 20-30fps possible without mirror flips and mechanical shutter slamming, though maybe without AF), or even Video mode!

Lastly, when you hand over the camera for someone to take a picture of you and your family, you won't get that starring-screen-Hey-it's-not-working look!

12-08-2007, 12:27 AM   #23
PDL
Pentaxian

Live View requires lots of power --==>> big batteries, heavy cameras, large cameras (the N*kon d3 body weights in at 3 lbs - sans lens). On one of the C*non forums, the users were complaining that if you used Live View for too long, the sensor will get hot (thermal issues) and the image on the LCD slowly goes to white as it overheats. (What now, liquid cooled sensors - how many more batteries/pounds will that take).

Also, for old guys like me - the use of Live View means that I have to be 18-20 inches away to focus with my glasses or 4 inches away to focus without them. I still want to see the look on someones face as they try to hold a 300mm+DSLR at arms length and get a clear/steady picture. Ain't gonna happen using SR in the lens or the body.

As for macro, geesh, get down on your belly - you have to go where the pictures are - become one with the bug.

When the K10D came out - remember the howls of pain about size, weight, no more AA? Add Live view - the camera gets bigger (more circuits), heavier (more "stuff" especially batteries to power the d*mn LCD - yes that is what it is an LCD an EVF is a LCD with a peep hole) and more bigger heavier batteries (built in grip === more weight). If I wanted a EOS 1D or D3 then I would go get one of those big, heavy, power hungry and overly expensive things. Just to take a so called - better - picture of a bug? I think not.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-08-2007, 05:35 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Both auto focus and metering is possible (though not implemented by Oly). AF can be done by Contrast Detection - just like your P&S; it will be slower but possible.
Also, you have thousands of AF points instead of eleven. With a fast enough internal processor (which they will be eventually if they aren't already) it won't even be slower.
12-08-2007, 08:14 AM   #25

I think $1400 is a bit expensive. Pentax should, at most, charge the same price as the Canon 40D to stay competitive. It would have to be really a lot better than the 40D in every possible way to command a higher price.
12-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #26
wll
Veteran Member

Tom
Live view is a VERY useful tool. In the studio I could get shots that now I must be dangerously balanced on a ladder for just to compose. For macros and landscapes that I do I would not have to dig a hole or get my face in the mud for the angles I want.

Live view is a start but I want a rotating LCD that is what would make this a must have for me.

Now I'm using my K10D's and they are great, but a rotating LCD on the K20D would make my life much easier.

wll
12-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #27
Forum Member

I guess like every new feature there is going to be pros and cons for it. What one person needs is going to be completly dif then the next. I wish it was possible to have a camera built like a computer, all of what you need and nothing you don't (talk about uping the cost). Well regardless, the k20d looks good and I very much would like to play with it as soon as it hits stores. As for buying one ugh not at the current set price of $1400.

Tom
12-08-2007, 05:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
14 MP for 1400.00 is a great deal as far as I can tell..
i really hope it does indeed come out and it is not just a bad rumor
12-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #29
Inactive Account

If this is really true, then I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax drops support for the K100D and keeps their lineup as follows:

K20D
K10D
K200

By the way, I find live view to be very useless. I've used film SLRs for quite a while, an A-1 and a Rebel S. In digital, I used Canon Rebel X, Rebel XT, Fujifilm fixed-lens slr, and Nikon Coolpix 8700 fixed-lens SLR. I found that I never used the live view on all of the previous cameras that had it. Live view, in my opinion, is not something to make a decision over.
12-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't beleive the naysayers on live view. It is very useful. Wait till you use a dslr with it. You can't compare it too live view on a compact camera. With the dslr you aren't giving up the slr viewfinder- live view is just another choice. Like PSAM exposure modes.
Live view causes big cameras. Really? Don't tell Olympus that. Their live view E410 is the smallest dslr around. Much smaller than the Pentax K100D. The E510 is about same size as K100D because it added inbody IS.
Doubt live view adds much cost to camera at all. You can buy a P&S for way under $100 new. Our camera already has the sensor, shutter, and lcd screen for this. Sensor may be slightly different, but not much. Only adding things like pivoting screen makes LV expensive.
Live view has some other features not mentioned. Would allow you to view a scene in B&W which can really help with the visualization of the picture. Also can make a totally quiet camera ( with SDM lenses)- any wedding shooters here?
Don't underestimate the fine focusing ability on a good lcd with 5-10X magnification. It is incredible for macro, big lenses, and astronomy. It is nothing like using a P&S camera.
If Pentax does what I think they will, it will be incredible. Imagine a lcd screen in the viewfinder on top of the real focusing screen. When turned off camera has normal slr viewfinder. When turned on you would have live view in finder! No squinting at screen on back of camera in bright light. You could even review shots this way. No holding camera at arms length to see back lcd. In low light camera could gain up viewfinder to allow you to see the subject. There is so many things that can be done. Not to replace the slr viewfinder but to enhance it.
Can't wait for the k20D. Also like the hdr idea.