Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K20D

Last Thursday from Stock Photo.

Rg.

Pentax K20D on show at PMA 2008 - Stock Photo market and Creative Digital Photography guide

Thursday, November 29, 2007
Pentax K20D on show at PMA 2008
Pentax K20D is coming and according to sources will be on display at the PMA 2008 show. The announcement of the 14 megapixel dslr together with the K200 is expected at january 24 2008.

The Pentax k20D has a 14 megapixel Pentax proprietary cmos sensor, 3 inch screen of the same type seen on Nikon models, live view, revamped anti shake, and it also seems a new file format in addition to the PEF, DNG and jpeg presently in the K10D. We can only assume it may be a uncompressed raw format.

The sensor itself is stirring a lot of comments at photo forums. This would be Pentax first sensor, but building a sensor demands huge resources and a foundry. Such an undertaking in secret is very doubtful and most seem to agree that the "Pentax sensor" must be a licensed 3:rd party product.

Sony does not have a 14 megapixel sensor so it may come as a surprise to some about who is working with Pentax in this regard, you will just have to wait and see Wink

Pentax management outlined in March 2007 the direction of Pentax DSLR products and declared that consecutive models would offer true upgrades and not just reworked models (like the *ist that had numerous versions on the market)

The K20d may use the same body as the present K10d but the difference in specifications will be so big that this truly is a new model - it is not a K10d mkII. If for nothing else, just the new sensor merits a new model name.

Expect a starting price at around 1400 us$. Pentax is starting to look like a serious playter. the only backwash is the lens market that is still weaker on choice that the other brands. This has in part to do with the cooperation between Tokina and Pentax. As a direct result, some 3-party models are unfortunately not available in Pentax mount. However - it seems that the new Tamron 70 - 200 2.8 will also have pentax mount. Very good news indeed as this lens is a stellar performer - and lightweight. More on that later.

Stay tuned for more news on Pentax K20D and the K200 (that will have the 10 megapixel sensor).

12-06-2007, 06:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hoooray!!!!!
12-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
truly, I pray that this happens soon
12-06-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yippie Yahooee ... no longer thinly veiled hints followed by a "but I can't tell you more"...

12-07-2007, 03:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Speculation On A Blog.

Don't get too excited. Click on the "BACK HOME TO MAIN BLOG" link at the bottom of that page. The text quoted is from a blog written by a individual identified only as "Mike," no different than the other speculation written within this forum. In fact, since he specifically mentions "forums" in that text, it appears the content is directly from various forums such as this one.

stewart
12-07-2007, 03:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Im almost embarrassed to admit that the only part of the blog entry that i liked was the bit at the end that spoke about the tammy 70-200
12-07-2007, 06:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

A very interesting and illuminating blog. Wondering what his sources were?

Ben

12-07-2007, 06:35 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

Ben
Ben,
Continuing the thread of speculation, innuendo, and inference, I find it interesting that you do not dismiss the content of the blog entry.
12-07-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

Ben
Ben
Being that you are a pro with an in at pentax, is there any truth to the rumor?
I googled it and there is quite a bit written on the K20D and K200D.
12-07-2007, 08:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

file formats

QuoteQuote:
[...]and it also seems a new file format in addition to the PEF, DNG and jpeg presently in the K10D. We can only assume it may be a uncompressed raw format.
Why can we only assume that?

Since that's what DNG is already, that seems like it'd be one of the last things I'd assume. And if there's something to be gained from a brand-new RAW format, I'd expect PEF to be expanded rather than a replacement added.

Maybe TIFF, although that doesn't seem terribly likely either given that we're living in the 21st century now.

Could be JPEG 2000, although that certainly hasn't gotten much real-world backing in the past decade and I don't see why it'd start now.

So possibly it's Microsoft's new JPEG XR (aka "HD Photo" or "Windows Media Photo") format. That would be really kind of cool, assuming Microsoft follows through on their open source licensing promises for the format. With 16 (or even 32) bits per channel, it's got a lot more room for the future, and a chance of becoming standard in web browsers so it could be a real jpeg replacement. (Combined with the xvYCC wide-gamut colorspace which will be widely available in devices due to the push from the TV/video side of things, yum!)
12-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Couldn't it simply be compressed DNG, although I don't know why they would offer uncompressed and compressed DNG. With a price point of $1,400, I would think they would need a magnesium alloy body to stay competitive with the A700. But maybe not. Personally, being something of a hobbyist, I would like to see an HDMI port. ch
12-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Crescent City Quote
Couldn't it simply be compressed DNG, although I don't know why they would offer uncompressed and compressed DNG.
Because compressing the files takes time. On the K10D, it's faster to shoot DNG than PEF, and I believe that this is because DNG is uncompressed and PEF is compressed. Of course, it's not a LOT faster and it almost never matters to me, so I generally shoot PEF, because compressed PEFs are so much smaller. I then convert those files to compressed DNG on my computer. But since I don't give a flip about PEF at all, I'd rather have a choice between compressed and uncompressed DNG. K would probably not use uncompressed DNG very often -- but I would not mind having it.

Will
12-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #13
dbh
Inactive Account

My guess: something like PEF but 14-bit.
PEF* maybe
--
dbh
12-07-2007, 12:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

What about small raw like Canon is offering. I'd love to have smaller files, but with all that raw offers. I don't often need, nor want, full resolution files.
12-07-2007, 01:20 PM   #15
Inactive Account

well it looks like the first of the year will tell the tail. For me it will mean maybe buying a used k10 and stepping up into 10 mps. I would really like to see something on the side of true 35mm, some where around 16 to 18mps. before I would get excited, but for now I will wait to see what the new year brings. I won't speculate on any of the rumors at this time and I'll wait to see what is really being offered. then I might get excited but for now I'll just wait and see.