Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Are you shooting raw? Or straight to JPEG?
straight to JPEG

09-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can you try a raw shot, and convert to JPEG with the Pentax Utility? If the result is the same, then something is wrong with your RAW data. If it isn't, then something's wrong with your JPEG engine.

Are you at the latest firmware?
09-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Can you try a raw shot, and convert to JPEG with the Pentax Utility? If the result is the same, then something is wrong with your RAW data. If it isn't, then something's wrong with your JPEG engine.

Or the shot is just severely underexposed.
09-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Well, I've never had that issue at 400 even when under-exposed - it would pop up if it was beyond underexposed and I tried to recover it, but he says he didn't. Unless maybe he has shadow correction or something.

09-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster

I'll try tomm in similar conditions if I can find the time.

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Or the shot is just severely underexposed.
For future reference, colored noise like that is mainly caused by underexposure in addition to ISO ?
09-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

There is just not enough light to capture.
09-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Shutter speed is way too high for an evening shot like that. Any severely underexposed shot with just about any camera is going to have a lot of noise, independent of the ISO used. I suspect the camera is just applying some extra processing to the jpeg, which brings out the noise rather than showing you an almost black screen.

Btw, I still can't see EXIF on any of your images. What mode, metering mode, and lens were you using?

09-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Shutter speed is way too high for an evening shot like that. Any severely underexposed shot with just about any camera is going to have a lot of noise, independent of the ISO used. I suspect the camera is just applying some extra processing to the jpeg, which brings out the noise rather than showing you an almost black screen.

Btw, I still can't see EXIF on any of your images. What mode, metering mode, and lens were you using?
Center Weighted Average, Aperture Priority, 18-55 Kit lens
09-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

It seems bizarre to me that the camera would select such a shutter speed under those conditions. Could be something wrong with your hardware after all. I suppose other settings could be working against you too, but I can't think what could cause it offhand.

There wasn't a really bright light source behind the subject but out of sight on your crop? If the subject were backlit by a setting sun or something, I could see it fooling the metering. I'm totally reaching here though.
09-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There wasn't a really bright light source behind the subject but out of sight on your crop? If the subject were backlit by a setting sun or something, I could see it fooling the metering. I'm totally reaching here though.
Sun was behind the clouds in the background, but with the position it was way to the right and way out of the viewfinder and not directly behind the subject
09-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
I posted from album above, but I'll attach it here too
Still no EXIF anywhere - you need to source the EXIF from the image before you do your crop, I think.

What application are you using to do your image cropping BTW? If you are using MS Paint or something that may also be part of the problem.
09-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Still no EXIF anywhere - you need to source the EXIF from the image before you do your crop, I think.

What application are you using to do your image cropping BTW? If you are using MS Paint or something that may also be part of the problem.
photoshop, the image has EXIF intact on my PC before I upload. Any other upload sites where I can keep EXIF intact ?
09-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
the image has EXIF intact on my PC before I upload.
I doubt it. Attaching images to this forum or to the albums doesn't strip EXIF.

Upload your locally saved cropped JPEG to Jeffrey's EXIF viewer to confirm the absence of EXIF if you want confirmation that you are retaining (or losing) EXIF somewhere in your processing of your JPEGs:

Jeffrey's Exif viewer

You may need to check your Photoshop JPG save settings, I think.
09-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I doubt it. Attaching images to this forum or to the albums doesn't strip EXIF.

Upload your locally saved cropped JPEG to Jeffrey's EXIF viewer to confirm the absence of EXIF if you want confirmation that you are retaining (or losing) EXIF somewhere in your processing of your JPEGs:

Jeffrey's Exif viewer

You may need to check your Photoshop JPG save settings, I think.
Windows photo viewer is showing up because it was used to rotate image and save the rotation

It shows the EXIF

Here's a CP from that page
Code:
Result
File size : 1108330 Bytes
MIME type : image/jpeg
Image size : 2848 x 871
Camera make : PENTAX
Camera model : PENTAX K-x
Image timestamp : 2011:09:26 18:19:20
Image number :
Exposure time : 1/1600 s
Aperture : F5.6
Exposure bias : 0
Flash : No, compulsory
Flash bias :
Focal length : 50.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 75.0 mm)
Subject distance:
ISO speed : 400
Exposure mode : Aperture priority
Metering mode : Center weighted average
Macro mode :
Image quality :
Exif Resolution : 2848 x 871
White balance : Auto
Thumbnail : None
Copyright : PHOTOLEET
Exif comment :

Last edited by photoleet; 09-26-2011 at 10:02 PM.
09-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #30
Banned

It seems bizarre to me that the camera would select such a shutter speed under those conditions.
Not if exposure compensation was involved