Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #1

Pentax *istD save raws to PC

Is there a way to save raw files directly from the camera to a laptop via USB rather than on the onboard memory card?

Any software available that would enable me to do this with my old *istD? I use a TC-80N3 remote to do timelapses and would like to save the subs to PC rather than clogging the memory card.

Thanks for any pointers.

09-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could try the eyefi card:
Eye-Fi 8GB Pro X2 SDHC Memory Card EYE-FI-8PC B&H Photo Video

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The *istD can be tethered to a PC. You should be able to download the software from Pentax ("Pentax Remote Assistant"). You'll need the earliest version of the software. The later version 3 doesn't support the *istD but the K10D and K20D instead.

The software also provides for interval shooting.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ole; 09-26-2011 at 06:51 PM.
09-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys. The PENTAX remote assistant link is dead as it's ancient software. I sent a query to tech support to see where I can download it from.

09-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Seeing as he is using the *ist D, he would need some type of special adapter to use an SD card that supports WIFI in the CompactFlash slot.
09-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Guys, I have found an old installer for the first version of Pentax Remote Assistant. It works a treat. While it's running with the camera connected via USB you still can use a TC-80N3 but you are limited to 99 exposures. The only thing is to give a minimum interval of 35s for the image to download and save on the Laptop. Will do some testing tonight.
09-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Seeing as he is using the *ist D, he would need some type of special adapter to use an SD card that supports WIFI in the CompactFlash slot.
I was a bit worried about that Wi-FI card as one of the reviews said the pics were uploaded online prior to be downloaded back on the laptop using a web service? That didn't sound right.

09-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by multiweb Quote
I was a bit worried about that Wi-FI card as one of the reviews said the pics were uploaded online prior to be downloaded back on the laptop using a web service? That didn't sound right.
I've never used one, but I think your PC would be loaded up with their special software to act as a receiver. You would need a WIFI gateway or a laptop with WIFI built-in. It will all be local and nothing to do with the Internet.

Also, that adapter says it doesn't work with the newer WIFI SD cards, so you would probably not be able to transfer RAW files (only JPG images).
09-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #9

Original Poster
Ok I played with the remote assistant yesterday arvo and did a short timelapse here. Those were 250-500ms exposures. I had the interval set to 40s. That's how long it takes for one file to save from the DSLR to the laptop via USB. The average file size was 16MB in RAW.

It seems the camera won't handle very well shooting again before the previous file is saved. That is the same behaviour whether you save to the internal memory card or an outside storage via USB. So the best thing seems to let the file save, the camera come back to standby mode (after the hourglass symbol disappears) then shoot again.

Even when I tried to do 30s exposures I thought adding only 10s interval so I'd get 30s+10s = 40s enough time to save one sub. I started to run into trouble after a couple of exposures with the camera shutter activating within the exposure countdown of one of the subs.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Thanks for any pointers.

PS: would the *istD with the latest firmware (1.12) support a Sandisk Extreme 16GB UDMA . If it does then I'm thinking that I can store close to 13h on board with that card so I could do away with the laptop altogether during capture? At the moment I'm using a Sandisk Ultra II 2.0GB and it might also be the bottleneck with download time.

Last edited by multiweb; 09-27-2011 at 04:10 PM.