Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spanky12 Quote
Thank you for the responses (and for the welcomes earlier in the thread). Yes these are the hybrid type. I was interested in eneloops, but in other places on the web, people are saying the difference in performance between the various brands of this new type of battery is negligible. So, that makes the Kodaks at 7.88 a pack a real value, especially since most places online want $10 a pack plus shipping.

These kodaks are encoded "7H".

My two chargers are opposite ends of the spectrum. One is a 15 minute Eveready crash and burn affair that rejects most batteries. The other is an older Rayovac, that although very slow, actually appears to be a "smart" charger in that it charges cells individually, their designated LED lights going off at different times.

I wanted the Lacrosse charger, but at $40, plus the four packs of batteries I just picked up, it was too much for now. Why do I always seem to find so many great things to buy for myself during the Christmas season? I struggle with what to get others, and have to restrain from spending on myself!
A good charger makes a world of difference for your cell life, although not "cheap" they are well worth the price. I use the Maha 808M as I have C&D nimh along with my AA's, and it's a great charger.
Keep an eye on your batteries spanky, you might have a bad cell and that will throw a wrench into the whole works (bad cells do happen once in a while, the reason I keep a few extra handy)

Ray

12-15-2007, 01:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

These kodaks are encoded "7H".
These seem pretty "fresh" so I am a bit surprised at the low battery signal.

Yes these are the hybrid type. I was interested in eneloops, but in other places on the web, people are saying the difference in performance between the various brands of this new type of battery is negligible. So, that makes the Kodaks at 7.88 a pack a real value, especially since most places online want $10 a pack plus shipping.
Sorry to seem pedantic - hybrid is not a generic name - but the name for the RayOVac brand of LSD batteries - no one else is calling their batteries "hybrid"
- the use of that name is probably to "associate" with energy saving "hybrid" cars.
The generic commonly used name for this type of battery is LSD or Low Self Discharge batteries.

I agree that I have yet to read a negative report on the Kodak Pre-Charged - but that applies to almost all the LSD batteries - however they are all relatively new - so may be going through a "honeymoon period".

My two chargers are opposite ends of the spectrum. One is a 15 minute Eveready crash and burn affair that rejects most batteries. The other is an older Rayovac, that although very slow, actually appears to be a "smart" charger in that it charges cells individually, their designated LED lights going off at different times.
The RayOVac does seem OK - it just takes time.
It probably is OK for topping up since it is a smart charger - even if it isn't that "smart" the lower charge current makes overcharging "milder".

Since you already have the Kodak Pre-Charged on charge - let them reach full charge as indicated on the RoV charger - then see if you have any better luck - if not, return them and try another set.

Please let us know how you get on?
12-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

"Hybrid" or LSD cells are only charged to 75% of capacity at the factory, and odds are that most of the cells you currently buy were manufactured in June of 2006.

If you want to get the most from your "hybrids" or any other nimh cell....condition them from the get-go (cycle them 6 or 7 times before you install them).

Ray
12-15-2007, 03:31 PM   #19

Do i have to buy the eneloops with its own charger? Or can i use my own. I have a RadioShack 8 battery charger. It takes about 2 hours to charge my Energizers if they r completely depleted. But what i dont know is whether it would be a preferred charger for these new types of batteries (the eneloops)
This is the charger

12-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dmadden Quote
Do i have to buy the eneloops with its own charger? Or can i use my own. I have a RadioShack 8 battery charger. It takes about 2 hours to charge my Energizers if they r completely depleted. But what i dont know is whether it would be a preferred charger for these new types of batteries (the eneloops)
This is the charger
Some of these batteries are being bundled with chargers, but they are the same chargers as they bundled with their other batteries. By all accounts that I have read, any charger will do, even the 15 minute ones.
12-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

This is the charger
dmadden,

Looks like this charger would not be the best for ANY of your nimh cells.
It seem to have a timer instead of of being independant channel controlled (timer will not allow all your batteries to get maximum charge and in time it is very possible it will fry some of your cells)
What capacity are your current nimh cells? If you have any indicators on your charger.....Does it show when each battery is charged, or does it just show when all cells are charged?

If each channel is independant you are good to go (just make sure you keep an eye on the charger and pull each cell as it reaches a full charge).

Ray
12-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #22

Nah! It only charges 2,4,6or8 batteries at a time. I'm sure it does'nt charge them individually. I'll be looking at getting the lacrosse charger since it even comes with low self discharging batteries. And I'll just get the 8 pack of eneloop at the same time.

12-15-2007, 07:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'll be looking at getting the lacrosse charger since it even comes with low self discharging batteries. And I'll just get the 8 pack of eneloop at the same time.
I may have read you wrong -
but the batteries supplied with the lacrosse charger (as in your link)
as part of its kit are regular NiMH rechargeable, and NOT LSD (Low Self Discharge) type.

eneloops are of course LSDs
12-15-2007, 07:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Nah! It only charges 2,4,6or8 batteries at a time. I'm sure it does'nt charge them individually. I'll be looking at getting the lacrosse charger since it even comes with low self discharging batteries. And I'll just get the 8 pack of eneloop at the same time.
dmadden,

I'm just getting back into photography so i'm still learning, but I DO know about battery chemistry.

I have been through hundreds of nimh batteries and about a dozen chargers (down to three at the moment), a good charger and proper cell care make all the difference!

The Lacrosse BC900 is a good choice (with the 8 Eneloops for $60 even better!), it has the conditioning feature, every 10th charge of your batteries, run your cells throught 5 or 6 conditioning cycles (my charger will do 6 cycles automaticly).

Good luck,

Ray