Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #1

Precharged Rechargeables?

Anyone try the new precharged rechargeable batteries from Sanyo or any of the others in a k100d? So far, I've just been using some Energizer NIMH batteries (2500's and 2200's) to try out the camera, and they seem not last long at all.
I am interested in any battery recommendations!

Thanks

Spanky

12-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just started using Eneloops in my flashes. So far so good. No depreciable lag in recharge time compared to alkalines. I haven't used them enough yet, to determine the max number of shots per charge.

I got a Maha C800S charger for them. A remarkable device, it will fast charge, slow charge and condition your batteries.
12-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Spanky,
Try a search on the topic and you will turn up a number threads on the subject.
Without a doubt.... go with the Eneloops.
12-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spanky12 Quote
Anyone try the new precharged rechargeable batteries from Sanyo or any of the others in a k100d? So far, I've just been using some Energizer NIMH batteries (2500's and 2200's) to try out the camera, and they seem not last long at all.
These Pre-Charged batteries are also called LSD (Low Self Discharge) batteries.

The most well known and popular are the (Sanyo) eneloop - all the reports and posts I've read seem very favorable - they seem marginally the "best" of the LSDs -

BUT any of the other well known brands seem to also get very good reports too - like RayOVac Hybrid, Uniross Hybrio, Kodak Pre-Charged (the Kodak seem to be a current bargain @$7.88/4 at WalMart).

The problem as you know with regular NiMH rechargeable batteries is their self-discharge. Most find them flat within 1-3 months.

So although the LSD batteries start with a lower capacity - they begin to show advantage at about 1 month over the regular high capacity NiMH (2500-2700mAh)

My personal "strategy" is to use high capacity NiMH ~2500mAh when I know I have to shoot a lot over a short period of time and keep a set of LSD batteries (I use the Kodak Pre-Charged mainly because they are cheap) as back-up/spare.

If I am not going to use the camera for a while - I then keep the LSD/Kodak Pre-charged in the K100D.

A few threads on the same topic -

K100D battery peroblem

K100D - "Low-Battery" Problem

Battery Life

12-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #5

Hi Spanky12,

Welcome to the forum....

If you search around here, you'll find a lot of positve reviews of the Sanyo's and the Hybrio LSD (Low Self Discharge) NiMH's from members of this forum.

Myself, I've been using the 2650MaH Duracell regular NiMH rechargeables and exclusively charging them in a 15 min charger for about 9 months. Many of my set of 16 are starting to get "tired" and are starting to refuse to quick charge. I have little doubt that they would have lasted longer with an occasional slow charge. I plan to replace them with Eneloops (sanyo) Hybrios, or Kodak LSD's in the next couple weeks.

I use AA's in my K100D, and in my AF540 and AF360 flashes, just to let you know what I use them for. Even though my Duracell NiMH's are getting tired, I've used them a ton, and abused them badly in the quick charger. I feel like I got a fair value out of them. I was not as happy with the 2400 MaH Duracell rechargables.

If you're looking to power your K100D, watch out for unknown brands of batteries. It doesn't work as well with many lesser AA's.

Also, I keep a set of CR-V3's in my bag in case my NiMH's decide to crap out during a shoot. The CR-V3's are awesome. They last for 2500+ shots (if not using flash), don't self discharge, and work better at very low temperatures than NiMH's. Only downside is they're not rechargable and they're expensive (6-12 bucks per set).

-Chris
12-07-2007, 07:34 AM   #6

I've used the Sanyo Eneloops in my Canon S3IS for 1/2 year and they are great. Much better than any other rechargeable I have tried so far.
12-07-2007, 03:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've been using Eneloops and they work great in the K100D. Stamina and torque, I'd say. Sometimes the battery indicator shows 1/2 full but after a few moments it's back to full power. I get hundreds of photos from one charge.

I just tried the Rayovac's, and so far I'm not as impressed with them. But then, who knows, they may be rebadged Eneloops.
12-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinckc Quote
Hi Spanky12,

Welcome to the forum....

If you search around here, you'll find a lot of positve reviews of the Sanyo's and the Hybrio LSD (Low Self Discharge) NiMH's from members of this forum.

Myself, I've been using the 2650MaH Duracell regular NiMH rechargeables and exclusively charging them in a 15 min charger for about 9 months. Many of my set of 16 are starting to get "tired" and are starting to refuse to quick charge. I have little doubt that they would have lasted longer with an occasional slow charge. I plan to replace them with Eneloops (sanyo) Hybrios, or Kodak LSD's in the next couple weeks.

I use AA's in my K100D, and in my AF540 and AF360 flashes, just to let you know what I use them for. Even though my Duracell NiMH's are getting tired, I've used them a ton, and abused them badly in the quick charger. I feel like I got a fair value out of them. I was not as happy with the 2400 MaH Duracell rechargables.

If you're looking to power your K100D, watch out for unknown brands of batteries. It doesn't work as well with many lesser AA's.

Also, I keep a set of CR-V3's in my bag in case my NiMH's decide to crap out during a shoot. The CR-V3's are awesome. They last for 2500+ shots (if not using flash), don't self discharge, and work better at very low temperatures than NiMH's. Only downside is they're not rechargable and they're expensive (6-12 bucks per set).

-Chris
Chris,

You might consider getting a "descent" charger and conditioning your cells every so often, it makes a BIG difference.
If you recharge a lot try the Maha 801D, your cells will serve you longer and the charge will last longer.
MAHA MH-C801D Battery Charger LCD Display $69.97 Special - Charger for 8 AA/AAA Rechargeable Batteries

12-08-2007, 04:36 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Powerex batteries, toughs and lonnnng lasting! Not pre-charged though...

MAHA / POWEREX 2700mAh NiMH Rechargeable AA Batteries 4pc Pack w/ Carrying Case

Tried a few, that's my best.

Mike
12-08-2007, 07:09 AM   #10

Hi Raybo,

Thanks for the tip. I very recently started "conditioning" the 2650 MaH Duracells on a Maha trickle charger I had gotten a few years back. I never did this before, because I was hesitant to use a charger other than the one the batteries came with. I've since learned that it does help my existing batteries out a lot!

I'm still going to switch over to the LSD's soon, I find the self discharge characteristics of normal NiMH rechargables very frustrating.

-Chris
12-15-2007, 09:33 AM   #11

Original Poster
Well, at the recommendation of some here, and several at other forums, I went out and bought four sets of Kodak 2100 LSD batteries.
I just put them into my K100d and after one shot, the battery indicator went to half, and after playing with the focus a few minutes, before firing a second shot, the camera turned off; "battery depleted."
This is really frustrating. Now if I leave it set a minute or so, I can fire off a couple shots. I measured the voltage on these before loading them. all four batteries measured 1.3 volts.
I put them into a slow charger for now, and I will check how they work later.

This tells me two things; 1. The K100d is WAY too picky, and 2. The precharged nature of this style battery isn't worth much, at least not to Pentax users.
12-15-2007, 10:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Well, at the recommendation of some here, and several at other forums, I went out and bought four sets of Kodak 2100 LSD batteries.
I just put them into my K100d and after one shot, the battery indicator went to half, and after playing with the focus a few minutes, before firing a second shot, the camera turned off; "battery depleted."
This is really frustrating. Now if I leave it set a minute or so, I can fire off a couple shots. I measured the voltage on these before loading them. all four batteries measured 1.3 volts.
I put them into a slow charger for now, and I will check how they work later.

This tells me two things; 1. The K100d is WAY too picky, and 2. The precharged nature of this style battery isn't worth much, at least not to Pentax users.
Spanky,

I'm not familiar with the Kodak cells that you purchased, are they of the hybrid type?
You have to remember that they will still lose their charge when they sit, maybe they sat on the shelf for an extended period before you bought them.

I picked up two sets of these Hybrio Precharged, Low Self-Discharge Rechargeable AA Batteries - 4 pack 2100mah and did a charge on them before I installed them in my K100DS, they are doing great. You have to remember that the measured voltage of the cells means very little (until they hit about 1.1), it's their idle time that effects the amount of charge that are left in the cells.

Ray
12-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My advice is to go with the Eneloops, i have 2 sets of them, and they are fantastic. Sure, they cost more than other rechargables, but they are worth it !!!! I also have a set of the Ray O Vacs, but i can't pass judgement on them yet, as I really haven't tried them out.
12-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

#1 is definitely right - look at all the posts about battery life/problems of the K100D.

Pre-Charged or LSD batteries are about 70-85% of the full charge when fresh out of the pack. The K100D being as fussy as it is - if the batteries are closer to the lower end - then you might get those low battery symptoms.

So there are two possibilities -
1) your sample of the K100D is ultra sensitive to battery level.
2) your sample of the Kodak Pre-Charged did not have much (pre-)charge in them, or are faulty.

Just so you don't feel alone - I definitely had low battery symptoms with my K100D - so I can confirm the K100D is pretty fussy with batteries.

BUT I had no problems with 2 sets of Kodak Pre-Charged in my K100D - straight out of the pack - they held on to full indicator for quite a while - but I did not use them until depleted so can't give you a shot count - since I tend to use them as my back-up set, and for when I don't use the K100D for a while - so before I depleted them I charged them. However they did not show low battery symptoms.

If you got your set from WalMart - they have a really good return policy
- just return that set and try another set -
look at the rim of the wrapper near the positive tip - there is a code like "7F" - if possible get one that has a later code - eg: 7G? - and try not to get the same code as the set you already have?
FWIW - I have 7E bought June (when they first came out); and 7F - Sept.

If you bought the slow "Value" charger that came in the value pack with the batteries - it is not really a good charger - it will "work" - being a simple slow timer charger - and takes 16 hours to charge.
However it is definitely NOT good for topping up charges - as it will just charge for 16 hours even if your batteries are near full - this can ruin the batteries......

Hope some of that helps

Last edited by UnknownVT; 12-15-2007 at 11:42 AM.
12-15-2007, 12:30 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thank you for the responses (and for the welcomes earlier in the thread). Yes these are the hybrid type. I was interested in eneloops, but in other places on the web, people are saying the difference in performance between the various brands of this new type of battery is negligible. So, that makes the Kodaks at 7.88 a pack a real value, especially since most places online want $10 a pack plus shipping.

These kodaks are encoded "7H".

My two chargers are opposite ends of the spectrum. One is a 15 minute Eveready crash and burn affair that rejects most batteries. The other is an older Rayovac, that although very slow, actually appears to be a "smart" charger in that it charges cells individually, their designated LED lights going off at different times.

I wanted the Lacrosse charger, but at $40, plus the four packs of batteries I just picked up, it was too much for now. Why do I always seem to find so many great things to buy for myself during the Christmas season? I struggle with what to get others, and have to restrain from spending on myself!