Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2007, 09:17 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful photos of a very photogenic place. I was in Halifax long ago and want to return. My wife and I were on a ship that was to stop there in 2003, but Hurricane Juan arrived first.

12-08-2007, 06:36 AM   #17
Inactive Account

I really like your images. I have looked at many HDR's on Flickr and find most to be down right ugly. Yours induce a foreboding quality that is quite lovely. I will say that I think I like the in-cameras the best. The sky retains more of a believable quality. Very well done. ch
12-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #18
Veteran Member

These photos look excellent, I love the mood of them.

Can you share your technique and settings please? It looks like you used a highish ISO?
12-12-2007, 07:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I've been visiting my brother in Nova Scotia for about 35 years, so I've seen Peggy's Cove a few times, but never in the winter.
It's a photographers dream at the best of times, as that whole coastline is, but nearly every picture you see is taken in glorious sunshine.

Your pictures are like a breath of fresh air.

12-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #20

Original Poster
Awww thanks!

Most of my photos tend to be... "darker".
12-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

really like the first pic a lot. Very nice.
12-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FireMate Quote
Awww thanks!

Most of my photos tend to be... "darker".
For these pictures, it is perfect. That is how the mind sees stormy weather. "It was a dark and stormy day ..." Over bright storm shots just don't look right.
12-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #23
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really nice pics, I love those of lighthouse. I always thought that fisheye would deform the pic much, much more than I see it on yours or others' pics, so I settled for Sigma 10-20. As for HDR on some pics I love it, on some I hate it. But yours turned out really great. I just have problem to get good HDR software. I only have very old copy of Photomatix (I think it's ver 1) which doesn't let you doo much, so I don't do it a lot. But maybe oen day...

12-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #24

Could someone help this newbie out? how do you get HDR in-camera? Do you have to take 2 pictures on a tripod and combine it PP, or RAW shot of 1 picture and change dynamic (somehow), or a magical setting in the camera, or PP?

naive digital dream
12-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by truonganh Quote
Could someone help this newbie out? how do you get HDR in-camera? Do you have to take 2 pictures on a tripod and combine it PP, or RAW shot of 1 picture and change dynamic (somehow), or a magical setting in the camera, or PP?

naive digital dream
Ahhhhh I appreciate the links by the poster above, but Truonganh was wondering about the method I briefly mentioned, about in-camera HDR.

Simple really...

Go into the menu, and choose multiple exposures (say, 5).

Then do autobracketing, and have the ev-compensation choice selected in Multiple exposures.

Sooooo... it's a poor man's HDR. It works, in the sense that the sky is now not blown out, and the subject right in front of you is also clear and not dark.

Is it as good as software, where you can adjust tone curves and such? Hell no. Does it work in a pinch in terms of "exposure compensation", yes.
12-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Very nice. Sort of bummers about the extraneous wires, though...

I like the distant lighthouse that ignores the rule of thirds :-)
12-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Could you point out for me which are the 10-17 photos?

I currently use the 16-45 almost exclusively for my landscape shots but am considering either the...

10-17
12-24

as a next purchase. Thanks.
I have the first two lenses, and I prefer the roundish distortion of the fisheye over the (usually) straight-but-slanted distortion of the 12-24. Not sure why, but I think it is because I like MC Escher drawings.
12-17-2007, 05:45 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by FireMate Quote
Ahhhhh I appreciate the links by the poster above, but Truonganh was wondering about the method I briefly mentioned, about in-camera HDR.

Simple really...

Go into the menu, and choose multiple exposures (say, 5).

Then do autobracketing, and have the ev-compensation choice selected in Multiple exposures.

Sooooo... it's a poor man's HDR. It works, in the sense that the sky is now not blown out, and the subject right in front of you is also clear and not dark.

Is it as good as software, where you can adjust tone curves and such? Hell no. Does it work in a pinch in terms of "exposure compensation", yes.
Every time I try this. Multiple exposure mode is deactivated when autobracketing mode is activated. Can you provide more details???
12-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #30
Veteran Member

These are awesome images .... some of tham came out with some halos ... but that does happen ... but the series is great ... looks like something out of an eerie computer game.

Well done ... I'd be very pleased to produce shots like these.
The mood of the setting with the weather really makes these images stand out.

I really like the Welcome to Peggys Cove shot.