Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #1

Another Business Trip: Halifax, NS (first time ever with HDR and Fisheye) (11 IMG)

Ok, so while out here in stormy weather (rain, thunder, snow... yay.), I thought I'd try out the Pentax 10-17mm, as well as my other favourite lenses (16-45, 50mm 1.4).

I also did some of my first ever HDR shots, and since I've never used photoshop a day in my life, excuse the lack of quality. I used Photomatix for some, and "in camera poor man's HDR multi-exposure with ev-comp" for others.

Anyways, here goes:

Here's one I got before a nasty wind came to shore, bringing freezing rain with it:

I LOVE the fisheye lens!!!

12-06-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OK, that first shot is just awesome, I stared at it for a good 5 minutes before I scrolled down to see the other ones, it is by far my favorite. I wish you could ov gotten the same affect on the rocks in #4 as you did in #1. #8 and #9 are really great, they just pop off of the screen for me. Nice stuff, I need to try some HDR.
12-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Love the light houses, you really "got it" with the HDR on those. Some of the others are too haloey (is that a word?) for me. #6 is awesome, too.
12-07-2007, 12:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Firemate, There was another Pentax in my home town? Great shots here and some interesting HDR applications. I've been to each of these spots hundreds of times. Funny to see someone else's perspective. It's a great place to shoot and I'm usually driving out of town huntung for new places.

This is a good time of year (although cold) to shoot Peggy's cove. In the other 3 seasons the place is crawling with tourists and the locals avoid it. Same as well for Citadel hill.

What did you think of the "moonscape" as you drove into the Peggy's cove area with all the rocks perched in odd spots?

Great series and my fav would have to be the fourth one, although the first is very good as well.

12-07-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

WOW, I really like them all. I have to try this HDR.
12-07-2007, 06:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Some very good shots there. Well done.

Peggy's Cove, probably the most photographed area in Canada aside from the Rockies.

Which ones are Photoshop and which ones in camera.

BTW it looks like you have some serious dust on your sensor.

Dave

Last edited by pentkon52; 12-07-2007 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Added a question
12-07-2007, 06:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

1, 4, and 6 are stand-outs to me. Very well done - if these were done in-camera even better. IMO the vignetting in #6 makes what could have been a somewhat boring composition very moody and interesting. And in all of them the textures are amazing.

Keep an eye out for sensor dust - particularly in 2 and 3 the dust detracts from the shots. I would also clone out the power lines, especially on 2.

12-07-2007, 06:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Like Pat B. said, these are great and I must try this HDR everyone talks about.
These results some just something else.

Last edited by JCSullivan; 12-07-2007 at 06:50 AM. Reason: corrected name
12-07-2007, 07:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

All those photos were taken with the 10-17?? Nice photos by the way!

(psst, you have a very dusty sensor )
12-07-2007, 07:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I really like the last shot, perhaps because the effect is a bit more subtle and adds mood vs. "popping". Last time that I was in Peggy's Cove (15 yrs ago) I shot a bunch of pictures of some dories. Every time that my daughter, who was with me at the time, sees the pictures she refers to the "boat arranger" that must have been on duty that day.
12-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you all for your compliments!

Ok, as to the dust... With all of the shoots I do, many outside, despite my best efforts, I get dust. Truth be told, I cleaned the sensor before flying out to Halifax, and have the photos I took just before leaving to prove it!

When you're on the coast line, with a wicked wind, and you're trying to switch out lenses, well... nothing I could do. I guess dust got in. I have no cleaning kit with me, but I'm on the wireless at the airport waiting to fly back home, where I'm going to clean it again.

Peter Zack, the moon rock-like landscape was awesome! Really something to drive through! Town was empty and dead, so no tourists. Best time indeed to take photos!

Looking at the shots, I guess out of the only ones I put up here, it's photo number 6 that was done "in camera".

Not all were done with the 10-17, but many were. I'm loving this lens... it's letting me do far more than I expected, and with the zoom factor, it lets me adjust, really, how "fishy" I want the shot or not. It truly is remarkable!
Shots 1 and 6 are done with the fisheye zoom. The rest are either 16-45, or the 50mm (I think it was the two church shots that were the 50mm)

As to photoshopping the electrical wiring out of the one shot, I COMPLETELY AGREE... however I've never used Photoshop a day in my life before, ever. So I may leave that to my fiance when I get home.
12-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Could you point out for me which are the 10-17 photos?

I currently use the 16-45 almost exclusively for my landscape shots but am considering either the...

10-17
12-24

as a next purchase. Thanks.
12-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #13

Original Poster
ok, so far as I can recall, 1, 4, 6, and MAYBE the second last pic are with the fisheye. Number six was at 10mm, so you get the full fisheye effect, but the others are zoomed in a little, reducing the effect.
12-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #14

Original Poster
Oh, one other note... I've had the 14mm 2.8.

It's a good lens, but I don't know if it's a great lens. I'm still debating that. I may have had a bad copy, the first of any type of lens for me (one that has a flaw)... but I had some serious CA issues, enough that couldn't be fixed in post processing. Also, the 10-17 is less money than the non-fisheye Sigma version, it can be "defished", and most of all, once you zoom into 14mm and 17mm range with it, you still get a great wide lens, with the fisheye effect significantly reduced.
12-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Could you point out for me which are the 10-17 photos?

I currently use the 16-45 almost exclusively for my landscape shots but am considering either the...

10-17
12-24

as a next purchase. Thanks.
I am an owner of, and fan of, the DA 12-24. It's great coverage, and rectilinear (mostly - at 12mm I don't think there are any real rectilinears). I enjoy others' shots using fisheyes, but am not particularly interested in owning one.