Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2007, 10:49 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
In reality if we cave in to all this rediculousness such as you can't take a pic of a bridge we have only to blame ourselves for our loss of freedom. In most instances a terrorist would be much more sneaky to get the info he wanted, such as going to the hall records and getting the plans for the bridge which are readilly available.
Why would any nefarious person bent on destruction with even half a brain in his head wander around New York taking pictures of bridges or public buildings? Why even bother sneaking into the Hall of Records? All he has to do is sit in the relative comfort of his home anywhere in the world and type in "Marine Park Bridge" on Google and press "Images" and literally thousands of pictures, such as the one below, are free to study!

If someone can connect connect the dots between taking a photograph and world-wide terror they have a very vivid and paranoid imagination.

I do not feel any safer knowing that people can't take a picture of a bridge!

The whole world has gone mad!

12-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What I don't get is why they think terrorists would be using DSLRs instead of P&S cams or camera phones? If I were a terrorist, I'd use long telephoto lenses and not even get on a bridge or just use a small camera to take interesting photos so I wouldn't call attention to myself. Sounds like illogical paranoia ;-)

And as for Bush/Rove, etc., I don't think this would have been any different if the Clinton's had stayed in office...remember how angry Hillary was that her husband's issues were broadcast all over the Internet really quickly w/o any control? IIRC she wanted some way of regulating it. What we need is to get rid of both parties in power and stick Libertarians there instead...once you have stayed in power too long, you just do questionable things to stay in power instead of realizing that you're in office to serve the people (the poor Canadians have the same issue w/ their politicians and I'm sure it's true all over the world) :-P
12-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

If I was a terrorists I'd dress up as someone working on the bridge or building, and bring in any and all the equipment I could possibly want to study it from up close.
The chances or you getting caught is smaller than being told not to photograph it these days
12-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
What I don't get is why they think terrorists would be using DSLRs instead of P&S cams or camera phones?
Exactly. If i didnt want to make myself noticed, then i sure wouldnt be using a great big SLR and lens set up when a p&s would be all i needed and a lot sneakier.

And its like with "perverts" on the beach with their big cameras. Please, if someone didnt want attention drawn to what they were doing, they wouldnt be using a big camera set up. If anything, using something like a DSLR is an attempt to make it mighty obvious what you are doing and because of that, you wont be up to no good.

I feel sorry for this guy.

12-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It could be argued that 'ol Osama has achieved his goals and won. Every time I travel via air and stand in line at security points watching everyone strip off coats, shoes etc etc etc that thought keeps coming back to me...."that bast**d has won this".

The really unfortuneate thing in this is that if the guys at the railway station did NOT investigate and something did happen then their collective balls would be on the block, I wonder if those that bemoan the 'loss of freedom' would be as forgiving and understanding then? Of course we wouldn't, we would all scream that someone hasn't done their job.

The best we can hope for is that the officials are thorough, polite and fair minded as appears to have been the case in this example.

There are no winners in any of this, we are all losers and its a crying bloody shame. Maybe one day a statesman will emerge that can lead us out of this mess.

Cheers guys & gals
12-07-2007, 09:23 PM   #21

Needless to say there is definately a interesting legal side to photography these days and ones rights.

From what I can tell "photographing bridges" is perfectly legal from public land. It kinda falls into a grey area since some of them are owned/operated by private autorities that restrict photographs while on them and some stupid law saying pedestrians and motorists have to abay all signs posted on the bridges etc. So it seems to me that if you had your bigma out - handheld (as some places don't allow tripods on streets) you could snap away at anything you could normally see.

Of course I doubt many of us would risk the stress of dealing with police / possible false detainment / and destruction of camera equipment for our fun passion for photography. Also, I doubt any of us wants to, or has the time & money to go after a city on a contintutional/civil rights law suit. I imagine there are vulture law firms already preparing their case to sue the city/port authority and just waiting for the right person/situation to arise. I would not be suprised.

Its really sad what it has come to now.

Just be careful out there.

heres an interesting article about a few incidents - one being NYC bridges (its a bit dated)
PhotoAttorney has tons of articles and blogs on this type of stuff with some legal insight.
12-08-2007, 06:32 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I'll bet you the Train Master called up Karl Rove. Either that or Dick Cheney. I mean, we all know that GW is too stupid to orchestrate something as complex as the terror network, so installing paranoia in Union personnel must be due to one of the evil masterminds in his administration.
There are things in this administration that have minds??? That's real scary. Question for all: this is the United States correct? Home of the free with inalienable rights that are guaranteed by our constitution? Why does it seem that we the sheep have left the idiots in power strip our rights from us? It seems to me this administration has placed fear into our society and are now trying to strip us of everything our constitution stands for. all in the name of homeland security. It really reminds me of Preworldwar II Germany and an administration that forced fear on it's people, and those around the world. Yes we need to protect ourselves. Those who want to do us harm will do just that, and this administration, and their tactics have failed us. We are giving up our freedoms (not by our choice) so that the idiots in power can claim they made our lives better. Our lives would be better with out these people in office. I hate sneaking around in the dark so that I won't give the enemy a chance to hurt me. If you really want to see how the enemy has affected us take a look at what our government has done. I think the enemy has done exactly what they wanted to accomplish (for us to live in fear and distrust) WHO'S IS WINNING?

12-08-2007, 07:03 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Without getting into any arguments about the current US Administration, I can assure you that the Dept. of HLS has affected many of us. Especially those of us north of the 49th. What used to be the longest unsecured border in the world has now become worse than any border crossing in the European Union.

It used to be a 30-second affair to cross-over to Detroit on the Ambassador Bridge, now, only the US Customs Service know how long it will take.

The US now wants the names of passangers of Canadian planes flying south OVER the US - erossion of rights which affect us all. Personally, I don't care but it affects many.
12-08-2007, 07:23 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
My wife and I drove 2 hours to and 3 hours back to take photos of an interesting Bridge in South Brooklyn using our Pentaxs. The Marine Parkway Bridge, built in the 30s, has a popular pedestrian walkway. Perhaps 100 yards away I passed two out of uniform officers (inside a police facility fence) and asked if this was the right sidewalk to get across the bridge. One said, "Yes, but you can't take that camera." You can't photograph any bridge that enters or leaves New York City. Mind you I'm 17 miles from Ground Zero in Manhattan...

I thought of all the wonderful photos we've taken of the Brooklyn and Queensboro Bridges which apparently are illegal as well. We saw dozens of tourists with Point and Shoots on the Brooklyn Bridge. As Chako said if I had a "non-Pro" camera in my pocket I would not have been stopped.
Leo what that officer said is completely wrong. There is no such law. You can take a picture of any bridge as long as you are standing on public property. And believe me a sidewalk leading to a bridge is public property. I'm in the process of photographing all the bridges on the East River. The other month while I was on the Brooklyn Bridge (which by the way is under constant police surveillance) I saw literally hundreds of people taking photos, with everything from cell phone cameras to BIG fancy looking video machines. That comment was just a cop trying to throw his weight around.

NaCl(but it IS against NYCT rules to take photos in the subway system...that is NOT public property)H2O
12-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
It could be argued that 'ol Osama has achieved his goals and won. Every time I travel via air and stand in line at security points watching everyone strip off coats, shoes etc etc etc that thought keeps coming back to me...."that bast**d has won this".

The really unfortuneate thing in this is that if the guys at the railway station did NOT investigate and something did happen then their collective balls would be on the block, I wonder if those that bemoan the 'loss of freedom' would be as forgiving and understanding then? Of course we wouldn't, we would all scream that someone hasn't done their job.

The best we can hope for is that the officials are thorough, polite and fair minded as appears to have been the case in this example.

There are no winners in any of this, we are all losers and its a crying bloody shame. Maybe one day a statesman will emerge that can lead us out of this mess.

Cheers guys & gals
all the while this scene was going on, a real terrorist would've had the time and opportunity to slip a bomb or some other such thing onto the train. that's what makes me the craziest. we're so busy harrassing ourselves that we leave open huge gaps for anything else. i hate to say it, but it's been going on since before 9/11, anyways
12-08-2007, 11:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
we're so busy harrassing ourselves that we leave open huge gaps for anything else. i hate to say it, but it's been going on since before 9/11, anyways
What matters is not how effective something is, it's how it makes people *feel*. You don't have to logically or scientifically justify anything as long as it makes most voters feel better...it's been going on for at least 10yrs through multiple administrations and not just in the US as you can see from the weird antics in Australia and the UK (where you can't even chase down a burglar who broke into your home)

The need to string someone up whenever a terrorist gets through isn't the right way to handle things either. They'll get through even in countries like Israel that have police profiling everyone...evil just finds a way. The only question is whether you want to live life in condition yellow and look over your shoulder all the time or enjoy it as much as you can.
12-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Regarding the snow bit, I just took my k10D out last night in a pretty heavy snow storm that was dumping lots of heavy, wet snow and my poor k10D was soaked! Despite not having the weather-sealed DA* lenses I didn't have a problem with water getting in the lens mount, and the built-in flash worked fine! Came home and it was soaking wet, but no problems at all! Really boosted my confidence in my equipment.
12-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I brought the K100D with us last night when we went to visit Santa, fully expecting to be confronted. Thankfully, no one said a word, even when I wasn't photographing just my daughter. Kind of funny though, there's one expression of a woman in line who noticed me that's just priceless.

12-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
Kind of funny though, there's one expression of a woman in line who noticed me that's just priceless.
She's thinking, "Is that the kit lens, or has he gone all out for one of the Limiteds? I can't quite tell from here."
12-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To JohnM:
Don't know about the Chicago situation, but here in NYC, it is illegal to take photos in the subway system. This is because the system itself is owned by a private corporation (New York City Transit) and since it's "their house" they can make the rules. You can occasionally get away with it, but it's rare, I've seen Transit Cops question even cell phone and p&s shooters. If you know people you can sometimes get permission, and of course if no one sees you...
BTW, the picture you posted, is called a Mechanical Switch (at least on NYC subway cars) under that triangular flap is a key hole that subway personnel use to open the door from the outside.

NaCl(the things you learn building subway cars)H2O