Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Value of broken K-R/DA15 for parts?

Hi All,

Not sure where to post this.

I fell off a bike around a month ago with my K-r/DA15 around my shoulders.

Luckily but sadly the camera/lens took much of the fall, not so much fall impact as a sliding over the road (with me and a bicycle attached)

DA15: The lens looks pretty rough on the exterior, the glass is perfect not even a scratch. It does take photos but they are not sharp anymore obviously. This lens was brand new a couple months ago ()
-assuming the glass is in great shape, but misaligned or whatnot, what could this lens be worth for parts (internals, glass, the cap, pouch etc)?

K-r: The lens took the brunt of it. There is a scratch on the flash cover and another on the top body exterior, otherwise it looks fine. The LCD has one tiny barely noticeable pressure mark in the top right corner (maybe a couple mm) All functions work fine BUT sharp focus is off. I just had the camera assesed by Pentax. Apparently everything is fine, AF is fine, but the sensor is damaged and requires a new SR assembly $371 plus labour (complete sensor unit I assume). The part and labour to fix it are equal to a new retail body.

What could these be worth, a range, a guess? Anybody have any idea?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Deimos; 09-28-2011 at 06:00 PM.
09-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would put up an auction on ebay or try to sell them here for like 30% of the price and see if I get any bites

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow! That is terrible, Deimos... What a sad way for both the camera and lens to go out.

I was going to say the same as Adam, but he beat me to it.
09-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys. 30% sounds a bit better than what I expected so we'll see if that gets any takers.

Yeah it was/is quite the bummer. But it could have been worse!

I fractured my nose and popped a couple ribs when it happened (pretty minor), something tells me though that without the trusty (and durable) DA15 Limited/KR combo up front between me and the road, my nose and teeth might not have been so lucky!

09-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, your teeth and nose are definitely worth more than a busted camera. Still though, that doesn't sound like much fun! Insurance doesn't cover something like that does it?...
09-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow, that's terrible ... but at least you are OK. Have you tried the DA15 on a different camera? It may be ok after all.

Do you have house insurance? The deductible may be cheaper than a new DA15/KR which you can probably sell later anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Hi All,

Not sure where to post this.

I fell off a bike around a month ago with my K-r/DA15 around my shoulders.

Luckily but sadly the camera/lens took much of the fall, not so much fall impact as a sliding over the road (with me and a bicycle attached)

DA15: The lens looks pretty rough on the exterior, the glass is perfect not even a scratch. It does take photos but they are not sharp anymore obviously. This lens was brand new a couple months ago ()
-assuming the glass is in great shape, but misaligned or whatnot, what could this lens be worth for parts (internals, glass, the cap, pouch etc)?

K-r: The lens took the brunt of it. There is a scratch on the flash cover and another on the top body exterior, otherwise it looks fine. The LCD has one tiny barely noticeable pressure mark in the top right corner (maybe a couple mm) All functions work fine BUT sharp focus is off. I just had the camera assesed by Pentax. Apparently everything is fine, AF is fine, but the sensor is damaged and requires a new SR assembly $371 plus labour (complete sensor unit I assume). The part and labour to fix it are equal to a new retail body. The camera was brand new

What could these be worth, a range, a guess? Anybody have any idea?

Thanks for your help
09-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think you will have a hard time selling it at any price, frankly. I doubt many people will try to repair a Limited on their own, and putting $400+ into a camera for repairs seems a stretch, when used working ones are not significantly more.

I would mount it prominently on your bookshelf as a reminder (of what I do not know.)

Sorry for your loss, however.

Last edited by SpecialK; 09-28-2011 at 07:49 PM.
09-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Well, your teeth and nose are definitely worth more than a busted camera. Still though, that doesn't sound like much fun! Insurance doesn't cover something like that does it?...
Im hoping so for the lens, still waiting to hear back. The camera body is a loss though.

Hopefully I can get a body with the lens money and then re-buy the DA15 again later.

Isn't Pentax supposed to be announcing something new soon body-wise?

QuoteOriginally posted by vw_michael Quote
Wow, that's terrible ... but at least you are OK. Have you tried the DA15 on a different camera? It may be ok after all.
I havent tried using the DA15 on another body yet, It could work but something tells me the magic will be gone
09-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, before you throw either two of them away, be sure to PM me. I'll pay for shipping to me and put them to good use (somehow, even if it's not in taking photos).
09-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Well, before you throw either two of them away, be sure to PM me. I'll pay for shipping to me and put them to good use (somehow, even if it's not in taking photos).
Haha at this point they will be expensive paperweights if nothing else!
09-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You're OK: GOOD. Your gear ain't: BAD. Dumb question: Are you insured? If you have personal or household insurance, you may be covered. [Don't bother with auto. I used to program auto coverage for a big insurer.] Read the fine print, the exclusions especially. Yeah, the gear is trashed; scan the small print for "replacement value". This might be nothing. Or, you might get lucky. Can't hurt to check, eh?
09-29-2011, 05:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
You're OK: GOOD. Your gear ain't: BAD. Dumb question: Are you insured? If you have personal or household insurance, you may be covered. [Don't bother with auto. I used to program auto coverage for a big insurer.] Read the fine print, the exclusions especially. Yeah, the gear is trashed; scan the small print for "replacement value". This might be nothing. Or, you might get lucky. Can't hurt to check, eh?
I am hoping to be covered for purchase insurance on the lens. Waiting to hear back. That would at least allow me to replace the body.

Thanks for all of the responses.
09-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I feel your pain. I got splashed by an ocean wave in the Philippines this spring and fried my K-x. I don't know where the water got in since I couldn't find any moisture anywhere but something is toasted. I did get a $275 quote to fix it when I attempted to get it fixed under warranty. So I decided to buy a barely used K200D for $325 instead. But sometimes I think about trying to get 2nd and 3rd quotes on the K-x.