Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2006, 09:06 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just for the fun of it: k100d vs. Canon XTi Challenge!

My k100d has a 50mm 1.4 Pentax lens, and my daughter's Canon Rebel XTi has a 50mm 1.8 (w/ a nice vintage Canon lense from the 90's).

(Both cameras should arrive soon!)

Would it be interesting if we took photos of the same objects, and posted them side by side to see what differences there are, and let pentaxforum folks guess which was which? The XTi is 10mp and the k100d is 6mp, so I would reduce the size to 1024 width, and not add further compression to the JPEG. Of course the XTi photo would still be larger in terms of mb's

*Default settings for both camers - auto mode
*Object photographed during daylight so the 1.4 lens does not have an unfair advantage.

Does this sound interesting? ANy suggestions for the test?

12-19-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

u need to do then exactly same time same place.. a smaller full frame image will do for the overall comparison with 100% crops for the real nit picking..

the difference wont be as great as u think.. it would be more interesting to see k10 and k100 comparisons thow.. he he

trog
12-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I don't have any expectations really - just kind of curious to see what if any difference there is. I didn't recommend the XTi, but my daughter was influenced by all of the print ads. I think the only really significant benefit of the XTi over the k100d is the dust removal mechanism.

k10 vs. k100 would be very interesting. If anyone has a spare k10 I'll be happy to do the test

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
u need to do then exactly same time same place.. a smaller full frame image will do for the overall comparison with 100% crops for the real nit picking..

the difference wont be as great as u think.. it would be more interesting to see k10 and k100 comparisons thow.. he he

trog
12-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I think the biggest shock your daughter will get is when you compare viewfinders.

I'm not big on pixel peeping etc but would love to see your photos cause I have a theory that Pentaxians make better photographers

12-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
My k100d has a 50mm 1.4 Pentax lens, and my daughter's Canon Rebel XTi has a 50mm 1.8 (w/ a nice vintage Canon lense from the 90's).
Before I purchased my K100D recently, I had the loan of my brother-in-law's Canon Rebel XT (not XTi). I did a number of tests designed to compare it to my Canon PowerShot S3. That's when I was trying to decide whether to stick with the S3 or move to a digital SLR. Although I was aware of the fact that I didn't feel as comfortable with the XT as I did with the S3, even the simplests tests I could take indicated to me that the S3 could more than hold its own in terms of image quality for normal shots. By "normal shots," I mean good light and cooperative (stationary) subjects. You can see those comparisons in my Picasa Web Albums gallery (click that link). That takes you to near the end of the gallery. I've added a couple pictures taken today with the K100D. I think they hold up rather well to the comparison with the XT.

Anyway, I'm not so interested in these comparisons now that I've shelled out my money! No going back. There surely are better cameras than the K100D and better lenses than I have, but I don't want to hear about them or how MUCH better they are.

La-la-la-la-la! (That's me covering my ears.)

Will
12-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I was going to mention the viewfinders thing -- the other day I peered through some Nikons, Oly's and Canons, had to get all the way to a Nik D80 to get a good vf...

Maybe there's a way to do macros of the two viewfinders, with a REAL camera (one of those pocketable ones... )