Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Flashing! ..with the K10D

Hopefully that caught your attention.

So, this is my 1st real SLR ("d" or otherwise) unless you wanna count the Pany FZ20, and I've alot to learn about flash photography.

I want to use my external Vivitar 283 on the K10D, as it's got lots of "oomph", it's own light sensor, etc. Of course, it's NOT a dedicated flash, so we're talking manual controls all the way here.

But now I'm a little confused.... should I be putting the camera in "M - Hyper-manual" or "X - Flash X-sync speed"? As the manual and practice have shown me, the shutter gets locked @ 1/180sec. That's probably fast enough for the portrait photography I'll be doing. But do I gain or lose something by staying in "M", and being able to change the shutter speed?

Regards!
Rich Little

12-19-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will need to be in M so you can control both shutter and aperture. X will lock your shutter speed at 180th of a second. Use the little bar graph in the view finder to see how the ambient light compares to your settings. Make sure your f-stop matches what you have the 283 set to.

I have two 283s and love them. I use them off camera with an umbrella for portraits, among other things. Very useful lights.
12-19-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

i use an old olympus T32.. as has been said already u need to be in manual mode.. set the camera at 1/150 or so and the auto flash wlll do the rest when u get it set right..

trog
12-19-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Is that the only difference between "M" and "X" on the K10D? The locking of the shutter speed @ 1/180'th? Seems like I'm still missing something....