Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2007, 07:34 AM   #1

Orange Tint in Photos

I have been using my K100D for about 2 months now and have shot ~1000 photos. I love all the features and have really been taking more photos now that I converted to digital. I am using a Sigma 17-70 lens on the camera which has been performing superbly.

My only complaint (and I think I'm being picky) is that I get an orange tint to my photos. It is worse when I don't manually do the white balance prior to shooting. Picasa usually takes care of it. Sometimes I want the oranger tones (especially if thats what things really looked like). However, sometimes the difference is quite substantial. My current settings are high saturation, S+1, S+1, C+1. I shoot raw at 6MP.

I know that post-processing is just going to be a way of life when I shoot digital, but I feel bad when I have to manipulate my photos after taking them (what would Ansel say?). I have rationalized it by saying its akin to the development process, but it takes less time.

Thanks!

Joe

12-07-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like they may be under exposed, but I think that with a combination of white balancing is the trick. Take a test shot and use the FN key to adjust the WB on the spot, well that is what I do. Also try upping your EV +.5 or higher and see what that does for you. What mode are you shooting in?
12-07-2007, 07:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums. Maybe you should post an example of one of these shots. Are they indoors? Indoor light will have big effects on the light tone without WB adjustments. As for the settings, they have no effect on a RAW image. They are for Jpegs only. Think of RAW as the negative in film. It's supposed to be the unaltered true image but the better way to shoot most of the time as you have a lot more latitude to adjust after ward.
12-07-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The auto white balance isn't designed to work in normal incandescent indoor lighting. You'll get exactly the orange cast you describe.

12-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by runjmb Quote
I know that post-processing is just going to be a way of life when I shoot digital, but I feel bad when I have to manipulate my photos after taking them (what would Ansel say?).
Ansel? The guy who would remove airplane contrails from his prints in the darkroom? Worry not; post-processing has been around as long as photography.
12-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
<Ansel? The guy who would remove airplane contrails from his prints in the darkroom? Worry not; post-processing has been around as long as photography.>

I've seen the pics of him washing clouds out to be whiter and making skies blacker. He spent just as much time post processing as he did pre processing.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep playing with the white balance. Its good to know that SSC settings don't do anything in the RAW mode.

Thanks!
12-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #7

Ansel Adams had a great eye for what made a great photo. He was a (I know I'll get flak for this but I have a thick skin) good photographer. His TRUE GENIUS was what he could do in the darkroom. He could take a so-so or worse negative and make a really great print. He had an uncanny knack for dodging and burning and kept masks for lots of his negatives and notes for how long to dodge and burn a given negative to make a print that looked great. At one time I had a few framed poster size copies of some of his prints. He was, and remains, one of my photographic idols. Along with Steiglitz (that doesn't look right) and several of his contemporaries, they were true masters of their craft.

All us old farts that started out in film, and particularly those of us that have worked mostly with b&w all our lives, know what its like to manipulate a negative in the darkroom. Its something you just had to do. And, we still do it. I can't see ever being without film cameras.

But now we have come to digital. The things we can do in a digital "darkroom" are wonderful beyond belief. It is a new discipline for a lot of us, but one that we are learning. I'm still trying to pick what program to get, I've downloaded trial versions of several. So far, I like the Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 about as well as any. The suite that comes with the K10D is ok, but I like the PSP X2 just as a matter of personal choice. So I guess with being able to shoot in RAW I'm not too worried about the JPEG's. What I really like about digital is how cheap it is! Film, film chemistry, paper chemistry, paper, and all associated with film, is getting to be horribly expensive. And if you screw up a roll of film or a print, it costs you real money. With digital you have nothing but the cost of the memory card in place of film, and nothing but time invested in doing all the darkroom work. Once you get all the darkroom work done in the computer you can get perfect prints every time.

Geez, this is way off topic isn't it? Oh well, I say just manipulate the orange out of it and print it. Digital is great, and the K10D is great, and I'm a happy camper.

Cheers,

Phil

12-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't worry much about white balance. I shoot only RAW so the only place it looks wrong is on the LCD. I have Lightroom and Elements 6 (just upgraded from 4) for when I want/need layers. I also use Photomatix for HDR. Really good price! Works great.
12-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil Quote
Ansel Adams had a great eye for what made a great photo. He was a (I know I'll get flak for this but I have a thick skin) good photographer.
Hey, you'll get no flak from me -- as I write this I'm looking up at a signed print I was fortunate enough to acquire...
12-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #10

Hi Finn,

Boy you sure are a lucky fellow, I could never afford them. I just felt fortunate to get the poster size copies I had.

Hows the weather in Iowa? We had a minor ice storm today and I got out into the yard to take some pictures of the icicles. The light was very flat but I think I got some interesting shots.

Cheers,

Phil