Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #16

I had the K-R for six months and upgraded to the K-5. Also have 3 limited lenses including the 15. I would recommend the K-5 for a few reasons, improved dynamic range, more rugged, better controls and wonderful high ISO performance. You might also want to consider the 40mm LTD. It is tack sharp accross the frame even wide open and paired with the K-5 is fast enough, fantastic and light and more reasonably priced than the 43. If you need a faster lens, there are several used 50's at reasonable prices. I am sure that since you had the 15 and loved it, you will miss it.

10-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
If someone asks for help in choosing this or that, how do you suppose anyone can suggest one without talking to their strengths or weaknesses? Are you one of the fanboys who is offended if someone mentions reported issues with the K-5?
You raised the question - he answered it, and then you go in off the deep end. Which is what you are doing again .... better pull that neck back in.
10-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Primes4ever Quote
I had the K-R for six months and upgraded to the K-5. Also have 3 limited lenses including the 15. I would recommend the K-5 for a few reasons, improved dynamic range, more rugged, better controls and wonderful high ISO performance. You might also want to consider the 40mm LTD. It is tack sharp accross the frame even wide open and paired with the K-5 is fast enough, fantastic and light and more reasonably priced than the 43. If you need a faster lens, there are several used 50's at reasonable prices. I am sure that since you had the 15 and loved it, you will miss it.
Yeah I am leaning for the K-5 at this point, seeing as I was already pondering the upgrade before this happened.

I can swap my broken K-r for a small discount on a new K-5 straight from Pentax (hopefully then the newest iteration) so I might do that.

I am going to try and hold out until at least Oct 6th though in case something good gets announced, but i'm not holding my breath/
10-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
You raised the question - he answered it, and then you go in off the deep end. Which is what you are doing again .... better pull that neck back in.
Let me guess, that hit a nerve!

10-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Let me guess, that hit a nerve!
100% wrong - just don't see the point in duking it out with yet another internet guerilla warrior who wants to throw insults around.
10-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
100% wrong - just don't see the point in duking it out with yet another internet guerilla warrior who wants to throw insults around.
Whatever
10-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #22
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Yeah I am leaning for the K-5 at this point, seeing as I was already pondering the upgrade before this happened.
As an extra argument in favor of K-5, I would wonder if it would be broken as easily as a K-r.

10-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #23
Site Supporter

I upgraded from the Kx to the K5 but that was mostly because the shutter noise, low res LCD and ergonomics [K5+grip is snug in my hands] kind of irritated me. I also had some decent glass to back me up so the change to the K5 was a massive plus for me especially since i did alot more high ISO shooting. You didn't seem to state that neg's of the Kr irritated you at all, and its smaller, and if you are doing alot more low iso shooting, maybe the Kr with a replacement DA15 is the best shot since you liked the DA15 so much? But you said you will get that again, so the FA43 would be a nice time to try something different? Maybe you could pick up a variety of these objects second hand and get the FA43 as well =P

But if you were to get the K5, aim for local and not grey market, if there are problems which some people do complain about, then you will get a quick switch/repair. Note that not many people will come and go out of their way to post and say "oh, my K5 is normal and works like it is meant to. Thats all I wanted to say =)". As stated above, all brands have their problems, Pentax are quick to fix it and I am more than happy with my K5 with no problems at all. If you look for a problem, you will never enjoy the camera...and there will always be a better camera be released eventually but the faster you get your hands on the K5, the faster you can experience how awesome it is =) It makes my canikon friends jealous and it makes me happy in the end!

All the best with your decision and would like to hear what you end up picking though!
10-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by link_1111 Quote
I upgraded from the Kx to the K5 but that was mostly because the shutter noise, low res LCD and ergonomics [K5+grip is snug in my hands] kind of irritated me. I also had some decent glass to back me up so the change to the K5 was a massive plus for me especially since i did alot more high ISO shooting. You didn't seem to state that neg's of the Kr irritated you at all, and its smaller, and if you are doing alot more low iso shooting, maybe the Kr with a replacement DA15 is the best shot since you liked the DA15 so much? But you said you will get that again, so the FA43 would be a nice time to try something different? Maybe you could pick up a variety of these objects second hand and get the FA43 as well =P

But if you were to get the K5, aim for local and not grey market, if there are problems which some people do complain about, then you will get a quick switch/repair. Note that not many people will come and go out of their way to post and say "oh, my K5 is normal and works like it is meant to. Thats all I wanted to say =)". As stated above, all brands have their problems, Pentax are quick to fix it and I am more than happy with my K5 with no problems at all. If you look for a problem, you will never enjoy the camera...and there will always be a better camera be released eventually but the faster you get your hands on the K5, the faster you can experience how awesome it is =) It makes my canikon friends jealous and it makes me happy in the end!

All the best with your decision and would like to hear what you end up picking though!
Thanks, yeah I think I will be going with the K-5 (unless there is something announced at the Paris show today).

I would be getting it new from Pentax Canada so hopefully the newest version of it with less issues.

I loved the K-r, I thought it was great but the biggest issues were: loud shutter, FF in Tungsten, small viewfinder, lack of extra controls

I assume the K-5 would likely fix all of those although I hear there may or may not still be issues with the K-5 in Tungsten
10-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Thanks, yeah I think I will be going with the K-5 (unless there is something announced at the Paris show today).

I would be getting it new from Pentax Canada so hopefully the newest version of it with less issues.

I loved the K-r, I thought it was great but the biggest issues were: loud shutter, FF in Tungsten, small viewfinder, lack of extra controls

I assume the K-5 would likely fix all of those although I hear there may or may not still be issues with the K-5 in Tungsten
You aren't kidding about the loud shutter. There are situations where it is just too rude to take shots because it sounds like a machine gun. I didn't take any shots during my friend's wedding ceremony, for example.
10-06-2011, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #26

I personally believe that the K-5 issues have been overblown and not all cameras are going to have problems. For those that do, that is what a warranty is for. I have friends with expensive Canikons that have had issues as well. I have a K-5 that takes amazing pictures, great handling and coupled with good lenses (I have 3 Limiteds) is my best DSLR yet. If I ever have to get a repair then I will use my old K200D or my Olympus XZ-1 until I get it back.

In my circle there are several people with K-5's and everyone loves them. I deal with Henrys in Canada and the managers at the three outlets I deal with have not had an inordinate number of problem cameras from Pentax compared to the other brands. None of them ar Pentaxians by the way.
10-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
FWIW I chose the K-5 after taking a look in person, I should get it next week, can't wait!

Still on the hunt for a lens replacement, whatever comes up first I guess hehe
10-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #28

I am glad that you chose the K-5, you won't be disappointed.

As a fellow Canadian, have you noticed that Henry's has it on for $999 this weekend due to the Exposure Digital Imaging Show? That is the best price I have seen yet in Canada.

I actually just came from the show and talked to the Pentax National Sales Manager for about 15 minutes. He seems very positive about the new ownership and expects Ricoh to promote the brand. I did not get the sense that a replacement for the K-5 is imminent and personally I find the K-5 to be class leading anyway. My plug was for new lenses (my personal wish list is a 135Ltd).

I hope you get yours soon.
10-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I'd buy one in a second if a US retailer were selling it for 999.
10-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #30
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Primes4ever Quote
I am glad that you chose the K-5, you won't be disappointed.

As a fellow Canadian, have you noticed that Henry's has it on for $999 this weekend due to the Exposure Digital Imaging Show? That is the best price I have seen yet in Canada.

I actually just came from the show and talked to the Pentax National Sales Manager for about 15 minutes. He seems very positive about the new ownership and expects Ricoh to promote the brand. I did not get the sense that a replacement for the K-5 is imminent and personally I find the K-5 to be class leading anyway. My plug was for new lenses (my personal wish list is a 135Ltd).

I hope you get yours soon.
Thanks, yeah I am getting mine direct from Pentax for just a bit less than the new price at Henry's. I am actually surprised Henry's has the lowest price on the internet right now as far as I can see, not a normal position for them they are usually much more expensive!