Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter

K-5 OR K-r + Ltd Lens? Help me choose

Hey All,

I had been shooting with a K-r, DA15, F28, Revuenon 55 1.2, Tamron 90

I broke the K-r and DA15 recently in a bicycle accident.

But this thread isnt about that. Here is the question:

Should I rebuy the K-r and the DA15 (or FA43)?

OR

Should I only upgrade my body to the K-5, and buy another lens later?

I believe the extra features/capabilities of the K-5 would be welcome, I had been thinking about upgrading to the K-5 before this happened. That said, small viewfinder, loud shutter and FF/BF aside, I was pretty happy with the K-r and will miss the DA15...

There may also be something new coming out soon, but maybe not....

Last edited by Deimos; 10-01-2011 at 07:46 AM.
10-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think you answered your own question. If you were pretty happy with the Kr, I'd just get another. It would be different if you had been using a K5 as it would be more difficult to go back down to the Kr. Anything new anytime soon is going to have the early adopter tax attached to it, plus you will have to join the Pentax guinea pig corps until they get the bugs worked out. On the other hand, who knows how much happier you might be with a K5? Prices have dropped recently so now's a good time.

Sorry, I haven't really helped, have I?
10-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Sorry, I haven't really helped, have I?
Haha no thats pretty much the same thing that has been going through my head over and over!

Thanks though. Its pretty hard to choose!
10-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would get the K-r and FA 43. You already know you like the DA 15, so you can get that later. Try a new (reportedly great) lens and sell it if it does not suit you. K-5 prices will continue to tumble.....

10-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd say DA15/FA43 and K-r/any-other-Pentax-dSLR except the K-5 which seems like a crap-shoot these days.

With K-5, there are reports by some owners of embarrassing stains shaped like pearl necklaces on the photos of their loved ones. Some have complained that the weather-proof camera's mirror flapped incessantly in uncomfortable weather, while for some others the camera's shutter apparently froze up unless the subject was an ugly and fat squirrel. And for some other owners, the camera's lens release button apparently fell off right after mounting the worst lens they had.
10-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
I'd say DA15/FA43 and K-r/any-other-Pentax-dSLR except the K-5 which seems like a crap-shoot these days.

With K-5, there are reports by some owners of embarrassing stains shaped like pearl necklaces on the photos of their loved ones. Some have complained that the weather-proof camera's mirror flapped incessantly in uncomfortable weather, while for some others the camera's shutter apparently froze up unless the subject was an ugly and fat squirrel. And for some other owners, the camera's lens release button apparently fell off right after mounting the worst lens they had.
To be fair the K-r(s) I went through had just as many issues as the K-5s have reported. I have also had bad canikon, it is what it is.
10-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
To be fair the K-r(s) I went through had just as many issues as the K-5s have reported. I have also had bad canikon, it is what it is.
A refreshing and sane viewpoint.

10-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I say pick up a used kx, k100d, k10d, k20d or K200d for cheap. Buy back the 15 and save your money for when the next body comes out. Then pick up a cheap k5 or the upgraded low end camera, with new sensor.
10-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Why do you want to buy a 43 Ltd ? You had (and liked) the 15 Ltd but the change in AoV from 15 to 43 is huge. I have both lenses and love them equally but they are absolutely not interchangeable for the same use.
10-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Why do you want to buy a 43 Ltd ? You had (and liked) the 15 Ltd but the change in AoV from 15 to 43 is huge. I have both lenses and love them equally but they are absolutely not interchangeable for the same use.
I love the 15 but next lens purchase was going to be the 43. So I still want to try it out. (I would rebuy the 15 again eventually anyways)

My only concern would be that the FL would be a bit too long, I generally love 28ish for walkaround but like the look and speed of the 43.

I am kind of leaning towards upgrading to the K-5 at the moment though...
10-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I love the 15 but next lens purchase was going to be the 43. So I still want to try it out. (I would rebuy the 15 again eventually anyways)

My only concern would be that the FL would be a bit too long, I generally love 28ish for walkaround but like the look and speed of the 43.

I am kind of leaning towards upgrading to the K-5 at the moment though...
I love the 43 Ltd but it's not the best walkaround lens unless you are looking for portraits. My favourite walkaround lens is the Sigma 30/1.4 - a wonderful, creative lens (search this forum for opinions - those that actually have it love it to death) ! With a Zeiss 28/2.8 for landscapes. YMMV.
10-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you already had issues with K-r(s), I am surprised that you even considered it as an option. And unless you were also considering Canikon, I miss the point of how their issues have anything to do with you considering K-r or K-5?
10-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
If you already had issues with K-r(s), I am surprised that you even considered it as an option. And unless you were also considering Canikon, I miss the point of how their issues have anything to do with you considering K-r or K-5?
Eimos didn't raise the issue of camera problems in his opening post at all - you did that. He just then very sensibly goes on to mention that these are in fact a non-issue for him since all brands/models have issues.
10-03-2011, 04:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eimos didn't raise the issue of camera problems in his opening post at all - you did that. He just then very sensibly goes on to mention that these are in fact a non-issue for him since all brands/models have issues.
If someone asks for help in choosing this or that, how do you suppose anyone can suggest one without talking to their strengths or weaknesses? Are you one of the fanboys who is offended if someone mentions reported issues with the K-5?
10-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
exactly