Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
X-Mas Boat Parade Help

Tomorrow night is the annual boat parade in the bay, I was wondering what to take and the best settings for the shots, I should be closer than a 100 yards..... treat me like the Idiot I am.

My small equiptment list::

Pentax K100D , Pentax 18-55, Tamron 70-300 Di, Pentax SMC-A 1:1.7 50mm, Sigma 28-70mm 1:2.8-4 Tripod and a remote switch.

Thanks Guys and Lady's

12-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need the K100d, you need the tripod, you need the remote switch, and I think the Tamron would be your best bet. Bracket some trial exposures. Find the best exposure, set the camera to that exposure in Manual. If you use the auto settings, your shutter speed will be in the minutes, and the lights will be so blown out you won't be able to see anything. Once your exposure is set, you shouldn't need to change it, except for ambient light if you start before dark.

Good luck! Take lots! Show us when you are through!
12-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Canada_Rockies for the most part, but bring along your Pentax SMC-A 1:1.7 50mm as well.
It's really your best low light lens by far

Don't be afraid to change over to a higher ISO if you need to. The higher the ISO the less light you require, however you'll also get more noise.

Plus even though I usually don't like shooting in RAW you'll probably want to for this event.
It'll allow you to fix more mistakes, and trust me on this. You will make some.

2 additional items that you'll want to bring are a flash light and a thermos of coffee or hot chocolate.

If it's anything like the event in Vancouver, British Columbia you'll want to use the 50mm after the parade and take some pictures of the activities after it's over.
12-07-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
(snip) I think the Tamron would be your best bet. (snip)

I'm not so certain about that. He's talking about photographing boats (reasonably large objects) from less than 300 feet away. Because of that, the Sigma 28-70mm might be the better choice. The 70mm range would allow zooming in about as much as one might want for overall lights on big objects at that distance. A range of 100-150mm might be somewhat better, but not at the expense of 50mm or less for overall scene photos.

I would carry the Tamron 70-300 as well in case distances are greater than expected or longer zoom opportunities present themselves. These two lenses would allow him to choose the zoom range offering the best framing based on the actual size of the boats and actual distances.

I do agree concerning test exposures and manual settings based on those test exposures. I would also suggest a manual white balance setting for tungsten lighting (the lights on the boats).

stewart

12-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I agree with Canada_Rockies for the most part, but bring along your Pentax SMC-A 1:1.7 50mm as well.
It's really your best low light lens by far

Don't be afraid to change over to a higher ISO if you need to. The higher the ISO the less light you require, however you'll also get more noise.

Plus even though I usually don't like shooting in RAW you'll probably want to for this event.
It'll allow you to fix more mistakes, and trust me on this. You will make some.

2 additional items that you'll want to bring are a flash light and a thermos of coffee or hot chocolate.

If it's anything like the event in Vancouver, British Columbia you'll want to use the 50mm after the parade and take some pictures of the activities after it's over.
Right on, Stu. I only shoot RAW so I did not mention that. I should have. The flash light and coffee are excellent suggestions.

Using the 50 after the spectacle is also a super idea.

Are you in Vancouver? I ask because of the reference to the event there.
12-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I live on the coast in Mexico Beach Fl. and the Parade of Boats is in Panama City Beach Fl. The boats are all decorated with X-mas Trees and Lights and they give prizes every year, This is the first year that we are attempting the drive to the big city at night lol. we don't see to good at nite anymore and there are about 50 deer on the road this time of year from here to the big city. So it's a little scary through the 12 miles of woods.
Go here and see a picture of one of the boats from last year.
Panama City Beach, FL - Boat Parade of Lights
12-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Are you in Vancouver? I ask because of the reference to the event there.
I actually live 6 hours, straight West from you in a small town called Midway.

I grew up in Chilliwack, and went to Capilano College for a short while, so I've seen the Vancouver show several times. Although not in several years.

I might go again this year, if I can get caught up a little.

12-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually live 6 hours, straight West from you in a small town called Midway.

I grew up in Chilliwack, and went to Capilano College for a short while, so I've seen the Vancouver show several times. Although not in several years.

I might go again this year, if I can get caught up a little.
I've been through Midway at least 10 times this year. I was born in Ocean Park (West of White Rock, South of Crescent Beach) and graduated from Semiahmoo High in White Rock.

My son, his wife and four children live in North Surrey. My father was in a home in North Surrey until he passed away at the ripe old age of 102-3/4 in October. Thanks to a small inheritance from him, I could buy all the digital gear in my signture.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 12-07-2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: five trips = 10 times, not five LOL
12-08-2007, 06:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I was in the Land Survey business for 34 years, till June of this year, and our firm did several long jobs in BC.

Tete Jaune to Pr George. East coast for the Island and around Chillawack.

Best job, summer of 1975 on the OCI's.

Dave
12-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've been through Midway at least 10 times this year. I was born in Ocean Park (West of White Rock, South of Crescent Beach) and graduated from Semiahmoo High in White Rock.

My son, his wife and four children live in North Surrey. My father was in a home in North Surrey until he passed away at the ripe old age of 102-3/4 in October. Thanks to a small inheritance from him, I could buy all the digital gear in my signture.
I'm sorry to hear about your father. He really must have seen changes in the world.
I'm sure that he lived a good life.

I think that he'd be proud of you buying camera gear, so you can preserve the memories of your own family.

I'll be passing through Sparwood again on January 5th, on my way to Waterton.
If your in the area at the time I'm hoping that we can meet for a coffee anyways.
It's always nice to meet members off of forums.
Although my camera equipment can't hold a stick to yours.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
I was in the Land Survey business for 34 years, till June of this year, and our firm did several long jobs in BC.

Tete Jaune to Pr George. East coast for the Island and around Chillawack.

Best job, summer of 1975 on the OCI's.

Dave
You've probably seen a lot of changes out here as well Dave.
IOt's still a beautiful province, but not as nice as it was in 75
12-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sorry to hear about your father. He really must have seen changes in the world.
I'm sure that he lived a good life.

I think that he'd be proud of you buying camera gear, so you can preserve the memories of your own family.

I'll be passing through Sparwood again on January 5th, on my way to Waterton.
If your in the area at the time I'm hoping that we can meet for a coffee anyways.
It's always nice to meet members off of forums.
Although my camera equipment can't hold a stick to yours.

You've probably seen a lot of changes out here as well Dave.
IOt's still a beautiful province, but not as nice as it was in 75
Hi, anyone is welcome to contact when they are traveling through! We love visitors. Email privately ahead of time, and we'll let you know whether our trailer is here or in Terrace.