Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Hope Ricoh boosts the brand

Hi all, I really hope Ricoh boost the Pentax brand. I have a K5, and it has to be the best DSLR out there. I have lived in Orlando now for 22 years. My wife works at Disney World so needless to say I've been there a lot in the past 22 years. Almost everytime I go I'm checking out other people's cameras, and to this day after 22 years of looking I have seen just one other Pentax person. That just happened yesterday. A guy was shooting with a litlle Optio. That's it in 22 years! Now this is one of the most popular tourist destinations on earth, so one would expect to see quite a few of any brand camera, and I'm actually looking. Just what kind of market share does Pentax have? Like I say hopefully Ricoh will change this.

10-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't think you'll get much argument here. OH NO, RICOH SHOULD SH!TCAN PENTAX AND DESTROY OUR DREAMS!! Do we have any takers for that line? C'mon, let's see some raised hands.
10-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ironically...

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Hi all, I really hope Ricoh boost the Pentax brand. I have a K5, and it has to be the best DSLR out there. I have lived in Orlando now for 22 years. My wife works at Disney World so needless to say I've been there a lot in the past 22 years. Almost everytime I go I'm checking out other people's cameras, and to this day after 22 years of looking I have seen just one other Pentax person. That just happened yesterday. A guy was shooting with a litlle Optio. That's it in 22 years! Now this is one of the most popular tourist destinations on earth, so one would expect to see quite a few of any brand camera, and I'm actually looking. Just what kind of market share does Pentax have? Like I say hopefully Ricoh will change this.
My family just came back from an east coast trip. Our first adventure was an old farm outside of NYC named Storm King that was converted to a sculpture field. We saw maybe 30 other people the whole day. The very first person that we saw was a Pentax DSLR shooter. I think that he had a K20d. I let him hold my K-5. He was impressed.

After that and visiting NYC I think that I saw two other Pentax shooters, but they had old school film SLR's. However, I felt like other Canon and Nikon DSLR shooters were constantly checking me out. Maybe it was due to the BG-4 grip and my camera just looked stout to them. It is subtle but IMHO the K-5 just looks cooler than the typical Canons and Nikons. Envy perhaps?
10-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
My family just came back from an east coast trip. Our first adventure was an old farm outside of NYC named Storm King that was converted to a sculpture field. We saw maybe 30 other people the whole day. The very first person that we saw was a Pentax DSLR shooter. I think that he had a K20d. I let him hold my K-5. He was impressed.

After that and visiting NYC I think that I saw two other Pentax shooters, but they had old school film SLR's. However, I felt like other Canon and Nikon DSLR shooters were constantly checking me out. Maybe it was due to the BG-4 grip and my camera just looked stout to them. It is subtle but IMHO the K-5 just looks cooler than the typical Canons and Nikons. Envy perhaps?
You are right. The Pentax just looks much more chiseled. I especially like the flash area sharp edges much more than Nikons, or Canons. Esthetically it's a much more eye pleasing design. It's really hard to believe that I can never run into any Pentax shooter.

10-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tony, back to your original post ... I was at Disney on the 1st & 2nd also -- MK for the 40th celebration, then Epcot for the food festival. Had my K20 with me the whole time. But I keep it in the pack until I want to pull it out for a pic. I hate keeping it out dangling around while I'm trying to enjoy the day. So, there's no telling how many folks you passed that day or in the last 22 years who had a Pentax, but it was just not out on display. And, I don't recall seeing other Pentax users either, so I must not have seen you. So there's a certain amount fo luck in crossing paths too.

But, I wouldn't have minded bumping into you. I would have liked to see and hold the K-5 in the flesh before ordering one blind.