Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Dusty Sensor? (K-x)

Hi all,

I noticed the other day that I have a few specks of dust on my sensor that are appearing in all my photos. Fortunately in this beautiful weather we're having here in the south eastern corner of the UK I've followed the 'F22 on a blue sky' tip and found the offending articles.

I've used the K-x's Dust Removal shaking feature and my blower several times to no avail. I'm beginning to get slightly worried. I've read the black spots tutorial, but can anybody help me further?

Here are the pictures, an original and the other with the dust particles highlighted:

Thanks in advance.

10-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
Forum Member

Try a vacuum cleaner But please, be very carefull and don't put it inside the camera's bayonet! If even this does not work, then you'll have to use the cleaning stick.
10-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I wouldnt do a vacum cleaner..

Buy a rocket blower, they are safe and like $8
10-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
I wouldnt do a vacum cleaner..

Buy a rocket blower, they are safe and like $8
That's what he tried and didn't work. Vacuum cleaner is safe as long as you don't put tube inside the camera.

10-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Vacuum cleaner? This is new for me. Isn't there any risk of a mechanical part (e.g., the mirror) being sucked in?
10-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Hmm well you could always get it cleaned at a shop for like $20. Stains would be in a string so its just dust
10-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Vacuum cleaner? This is new for me. Isn't there any risk of a mechanical part (e.g., the mirror) being sucked in?
No, it's completely safe as long as you don't put the tube inside. The mirror is flopped btw when cleaning is activated, so it can't be sucked in, even if you wanted to
10-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Try the Eclipse wet cleaning system - you can get the go-bag on Amazon for something like $20 bucks, and it's good for 5 or 6 cleanings. You spray the little stick in the system with their cleaner, and then you wipe the sensor with the stick. It's worked for me on dust that don't get removed by my rocket blower and my Pentax lollipop.

10-03-2011, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

It's just dust. no biggie. Here's a few things I've tried:

Opteka TAC cleaner (Can leave residue, but can be useful if you're careful. I have better luck with the smaller tool in the set. The larger tool is more prone to leaving residue.)

SensorKlear Pen (No residue, but it leaves behind about as much as it picks up.)

A clean, dry Q-tip, very gently swabbed over the offending area, followed by a few puffs from the rocket blower. I find it best not to squeeze the bulb too super-hard. You can blow more blobs onto the sensor than you're removing that way.

Honestly, the Q-tip & blower method works about as well as anything else for me. If you go that route, swab very gently from the inside out, rather than from outside in. That way you avoid dragging contaminants onto the sensor from the edge. You might leave a little piece of cotton fuzz, but the blower will get rid of it.

Even after cleaning, you'll get specks once in awhile. It's just a fact of DSLR life. If I only have 1 or 2 small ones that only show up when doing the "sky test" as small apertures, I don't worry about it much. They might even dry out & fall off in time on their own. If I get the occasional speck on the occasional photo, the Photoshop cloning too makes quick work of it.

Cheers, & good luck,
Bobbo :-)
10-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you all for the replies. I've had my K-x less than a year and the only other time I've had a problem with dust, I got a rocket blower and that resolved the problem.

Thanks for the product recommendations and tips, Bobbo and I'll definitely consider getting those.

However as it's the first time the blower's not worked, I'm rather scared of doing something I shouldn't regarding sensor cleaning and taking it in to a store like Jessops seems like a good idea seeing as I would like it dust free for Sunday. But those tools could definitely help in the future.

Is there any chance I could get the dust out with a more thorough use of my blower and are there any particular tips with using a rocket blower?
10-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The best thing to do concerning dust is to learn to quickly switch lenses in order to prevent dust from getting on the sensor.
10-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
The best thing to do concerning dust is to learn to quickly switch lenses in order to prevent dust from getting on the sensor.
I only have the kit lens at the moment so I've never have swapped lenses, which is why I've been surprised to get dust on the sensor.
10-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheJRB Quote
I only have the kit lens at the moment so I've never have swapped lenses, which is why I've been surprised to get dust on the sensor.
There's probably a tiny bit of dust in the camera even when it's new, and with the slap of the shutter & mirror in time it can dislodge & land on the sensor.

BTW: I'd try the dry Q-tip idea before you spend any money. Just make sure you don't touch the end of the swab you're sticking into the camera, and use very little pressure. The Q-tip method actually worked the best of the three, was the least hassle, and it was virtually free. I wasn't blown away with either the TAC cleaner or the sensor pen, though I think the TAC cleaner might be a tad more effective than the pen.

Good luck,
10-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks Bobbo. I tried the Q-tip tip (please excuse the pun), or as we call them here in Britain, cotton buds, and I've managed to remove most of the dust including the biggest particle in the top right. However I must have either introduced new particles, or at least moved existing ones as there are still a couple when pointed at a sky at F22.

Anyway, those small pieces don't really show up in most photos, like this one I took earlier today (although this one has been straightened):

10-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Good deal! I've found that about any dry cleaning method I've tried leaves something that I either have to try again to get rid of, or just live with it. If you're only down to a couple of little specks, you're probably good. You can drive yourself bonkers trying to get it just perfect. And even if you do get it perfectly pristine, give it a couple of days & you'll find another speck.

Cheers & have fun with your camera.