Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Is it worth it to get the k-5, or will the k-x do??

I am really in love with the k-5, but I am going thru a financial bind right now. I am aware of the differences between them, but my question is if i could be JUST AS effective having the k-x rather than going for the k-5??!!

10-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Buying the K-x isn't going to preclude you from taking good pictures. It is a great camera, but the K-5 is superior in every way. So I wouldn't say you would be just as effective, but assuming you're not a pro, you might not notice the difference.
10-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Moz Artistic Visionz Quote
I am really in love with the k-5
but my question is if i could be JUST AS effective having the k-x rather than going for the k-5
You already have the K5 or you are looking to move to the K5? Are you looking to sell the K5 you have now or looking to get another K5 or Kx?

The Kx, as kenafein noted, is capable. What kind of shooting do you do most?

BTW: Welcome, love to see more people from DC, the absolute greatest city in the world (may have to run down to SW and get a fish sandwich today)

---
10-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I am really in love with the k-5, but I am going thru a financial bind right now. I am aware of the differences between them, but my question is if i could be JUST AS effective having the k-x rather than going for the k-5??!!
Based on your profile it looks like you already have a K20D and a K2000 (or K200D). I don't think a K-x would be much of an upgrade as good a that body is unless you're aiming for high ISO capabilities. IMO a good glass might be a better upgrade.
Welcome Aboard!

10-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
k-x or k-5

I actually have a k2000d and a k20d right now!! i am really in need of a camera to include video now!! what do you recomend!!
10-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #6

If you buy the K-X and you want something that operates at a higher level, you'll only end up spending more to upgrade. Then again I don't know how seriously you're into photography. If you want a "photographers" camera, K-5 all the way. If you want a nice camera, K-X/r will do ya fine. Or split the difference and get a K-7. Though I don't like the K-7s image quality as compared to either the X/R or the K-5.
10-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Of your two cameras, which do you prefer? If the K2000, then get the K-x or K-r. If it's the K20D, then you won't be happy unless you get the K-5.
10-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I actually have a k2000d and a k20d right now!! i am really in need of a camera to include video now!! what do you recomend!!
If money is a issue, u can go with k7. It has video too...and 720p is good enough..besides it is a semi-pro camera as k5, so it has micphone slot and HDMI slot...mount rig, external mic, external LCD...ur k7 can turn to a pretty pro looking video camera too... Micphone slot and HDMI slot are what ur kx lacking...and these two feature are important for DSLR videography.

Last edited by liukaitc; 10-03-2011 at 11:51 AM.
10-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the k-x right now, and learning everything about it has made me want a k-5 even more. For one thing, the k-5 is supposed to have better AF and a better screw-drive than the k-x - I do have trouble focusing on distant subjects or faster moving subjects with my k-x. Also, seeing people shoot ISO 8000 with less noise than my ISO 3200 makes me desperately jealous.

Not to mention, it's weather-sealed. I absolutely love my k-x, as everytime I go out on a trip with it and a great lens it amazes me, but I know that I won't be satisfied until I get a k-5. So maybe this might be a helpful piece of discussion point.
10-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

There is a difference in image quality between the K-x and K5, to be sure, but the difference is a matter of 30%, lets say, not 100%. The main difference is in the camera body - the K-5 has more useful features and controls than the K-x - eg a brighter pentaprism viewfinder, 2 control wheels, the ability to take a battery grip - and some functions that the two cameras share - eg auto-focus, shake-reduction - are more advanced in the K5.

my question is if i could be JUST AS effective having the k-x rather than going for the k-5??
Hard to say. Because your effectiveness will depend not just on the gear you buy, but how experienced you are as a photographer. If you are in-experienced, even if you bought the most advanced and expensive camera in the world, you could still be a bad photographer. A great camera won't make a great photographer.

Having said all that, since you are already actively balancing the pros and cons of the two cameras in your mind, you'll probably forever have this nagging feeling that by not buying the K-5, and getting a K-x instead, you have missed out on something important. This could set you up for feeling bad about the K-x from day one, and less confident in its capacity to deliver the results you think you should be getting from your camera. So in future any missed shots, any bad focus or exposure etc, will more likely become the fault of the camera. So you can avoid that problem of psychology by just buying the better camera in the first place.

EDIT - and yeah, for video the K-5 is simply a more sensible choice that the K-x, because the K-x only does 720p.
10-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #11

If you are in a financial crisis...sell the K5...Its a good camera, but it wont pay your bills. Kx is a good camera too, inferior to its big brother, but it should suffice for most of the situations.
10-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Ok, this may sound like a stupid question (may sound like a stupid one but actually will get you the answer(s) and recommendation(s) you are looking for), but what kind of filming will you be doing? Meaning, 'what will' / 'who are' the subjects? Will you be using the camera body more for filming or more for photog?

---
10-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If you get a used K-x, you'll not lose much money on it if you do decide to upgrade. I think 720p looks good, you can always upscale to 1080. For sound you can use an external sound recorder and synch it afterwards.

A K-r would be worth considering too.
10-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Well the K-5 is by far superior in image quality for the moviefunction, and the only one delivering FullHD. The K-x is maybe even a bit less then the K-7 since it doesn't use the more iso-settings then K-7 and delivers a bit more compressed output.
10-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

From what I've seen Pentax kind of stinks for video. It does not have continuous focusing. I'm not much for video though, I have a camcorder and a point and shoot I use for that.