Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-7 Disable flash ?

Is it possible to have flash disabled, even though an external flash unit is mounted on the shoe, ( but turned off ? )

The reason i ask is that I'm primarily shooting birds, which as every bird photographer knows, constantly change their minds about their posiiton . One second they're in good light
and the next they've flown into some shadow / bushes etc. I'd like to keep my Centon manual flash unit + beamer mounted for fast decisions. Having to keep mounting or dismounting the flash
would be a pain. But of course, I dont want the flash to fire when the bird suddenly moves to good light, other wise i'll be hindered by the max of 1/180th SS.

10-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hummm, if your flash is truly a full-manual flash (meaning that it only has the central contact), then your camera does not detect it and surely moves the shutter speed freely.
Below 1/180, the flash will trigger, and above, it will not...

So, you could make yourself a USER mode biased toward action (P mode with the running man), with an Auto-iso range and behavior (slow/normal/fast) you're comfortable with, and let the camera handle the speed. Your flash will discharge as soon as the camera will not be able to stay above 1/180.
10-06-2011, 02:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Excellent answer -- thanks for the tips
10-06-2011, 02:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you're turning the flash power off, that should be sufficient.
I do that all the time, even with PTTL flashes. Just turn the power off and the camera has no idea the flash is there.

But, as also suggested, if you can control the shutter speed that will effectively disable any flash that does not handle PTTL-HiSpeedSync.

10-06-2011, 03:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can control the shutter becuase i always shoot in M mode, so in fact, i may not even have to use P ( running man )

As you both say, the flash didnt fire when set to above 1/180, ( i tried it ) but it still took a shot. I dont know why i didnt try this before - i just assumed that the shutter
would simply refuse to fire when a flash unit was mounted, and SS was set above 1/180

So if the flash doesnt fire when shooting above 1/180, i can happily stay in M mode and as soon as my subject jumps into shadow, and i set 1/180 or lower, i get flash

10-06-2011, 03:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
. I dont know why i didnt try this before - i just assumed that the shutter
would simply refuse to fire when a flash unit was mounted, and SS was set above 1/180
Technically the highest speed is 1/160 as you can ONLY obtain 1/180 in X-sync mode.
Anyway, in my opinion Pentax crippled its cameras by disabling the hot shoe with shutter speed over 1/180. I could still use the flash, to good effect, over 1/180.

I can understand if Pentax disabled it over 1/180 when the user is in Green or maybe even in P mode.
But if the user is in Manual, he/she likely knows what is going on, or can figure it out.
10-06-2011, 03:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mine shoots at 1/180 and i dont have X-sync enabled.... at least i dont think i do.
10-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Technically the highest speed is 1/160 as you can ONLY obtain 1/180 in X-sync mode.
Technically the highest speed is 1/180 sec.

Somewhere in the custom menu, set "shutter speed in increment of 1/2 or 1/3 EV" to 1/2 EV, you then can set 1/180 sec. speed.

10-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess the previous owner must have done this already
10-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
Pentaxian

he, he, me too, currently.
Although recently I tried to get 1/180 and could not get above 1/160 without going to X-sync. How odd.

I wonder if something put the EV steps back to 1/2???
First thing I always do when I get a camera is set to 1/3 so that would be unexpected, but makes sense.

Thanks for the correction.
10-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Anyway, in my opinion Pentax crippled its cameras by disabling the hot shoe with shutter speed over 1/180. I could still use the flash, to good effect, over 1/180.

I can understand if Pentax disabled it over 1/180 when the user is in Green or maybe even in P mode.
But if the user is in Manual, he/she likely knows what is going on, or can figure it out.
DITTO

specially for birding, i usually compose with the bird on the center of the frame, so i got max sharpness on it and getting band in areas where i dont mind is not really a drama for me.