Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Help with AF-360GZ flash and K-100D Super

Hello,

I just purchased a new K100-D super and the Pentax AF-360GZ external flash from Ritz. This is my first DSLR camera and I know very little about photography. I'm a little confused about the best way to configure this flash to work with my camera? It seems to fire OK, but I have no idea based on the instruction manual for the flash and the camera. Thanks for any help on this!

12-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Basically you'll remove the cap off the hotshoe of the camera, mount the flash onto the hotshoe facing away from you so all you see are the dials and LED screen. Turn on the camera, turn on the flash (far right) and as long as you're in a normal shooting mode (stay off M and B) it'll just work for you automatically.
12-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Basically you'll remove the cap off the hotshoe of the camera, mount the flash onto the hotshoe facing away from you so all you see are the dials and LED screen. Turn on the camera, turn on the flash (far right) and as long as you're in a normal shooting mode (stay off M and B) it'll just work for you automatically.
Thanks for the info. I might have messed with a few settings on the flash already like format, sync (still not sure on that), zoom, etc. What's particularly confusing about the flash is that the instruction manual doesn't seem to clearly address functionality with a Dslr. For example, is 35mm the "format" for a Dslr? There is a lot of confusing flash and photography jargon in there. If there is some sort of a "guide" out there on the net that might help me out on this I'd sure appreciate any links. Thanks again!
12-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
codiac,

I notice you have an af-360. Would you consider this a good bet for the K-100? I got it mainly because I take fair amount of indoor and outdoor "action" type shots (dancing, paintball, etc). I wanted to be able to take in low light and just get brighter clearer pictures. The sales guy at Ritz said they didn't carry or weren't aware of any non-Pentax brand flash for the K-100 so I went with this one. He did some sort of demo in the store which seemed impressive. First, we took a pic with the built-in flash , then the external and it really seemed to brighten things up.

12-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

ignore the manual...well most of it..just figure out what button does what......
it's the pre fgz, and thus was made for film bodies (hence you see the references to 35mm)

having said that, dslr and 35mm it should work the same way regardless of film and digital...

try this..put the flash in full auto....turn on your dslr..put that too in full auto....(green mode if there is a green mode on the k100super) test it out then...
tilt the head up for bounce flash (works really good)
try that out first...

how are your shots turning out tho?