Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K100D battery life

Have been using K10 for girls high school basketball along with a Takumar 135/2.5. Decided to try the K100 to see how much better it is in the low light.. Im very happy with the results at iso 800 & even the 1600 grain is better than the K10 at 800.. I know there are battery depleted issues with the K100 & it seems my battery life is low.. I shoot RAW & use alkalines and was able to just (had to turn off & back on a few times) fill a 2gb card on a new set of alkys ,192 images.. I had the instant review on & set at 3 sec.. I put in a new set ,turned off the instant review & was able to fill the card with no problem. How many shots can I expect with a set of good rechargables knowing my mileage with the alkys?? I like using the K100 but changing batteries at the game is a pain.. Thanks, wildherre

12-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hidden away in the books somewhere is the advice to not use alkalines with the K100 because of the battery life. Pentax says the two alkalines are in there so that you can test the camera straight out of the box. Have you tried the (expensive but long lived) Energizer E2's?

Most of the reviews I have seen recommend rechargeables with at least 2500 mAh ratings.
12-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Hidden away in the books somewhere is the advice to not use alkalines with the K100 because of the battery life. Pentax says the two alkalines are in there so that you can test the camera straight out of the box. Have you tried the (expensive but long lived) Energizer E2's?
Be aware that Energizer sells both alkaline and lithium batteries under this name. (!!!). You want the lithium ones.
12-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I usually get 600 - 800 pictures on a re-charge.

However the batteries I use are made for digital cameras.

I should mention that I'm lucky, several people say their K100D is a battery pig.

12-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Battery Life on the K100D (Super) is asked so often that it really should be in a FAQ.

Here are few threads on the same topic -

K100D battery peroblem

K100D - "Low-Battery" Problem

Battery Life

As you've probably surmised by now the Pentax K100D is pretty fussy with batteries -

Alkalines simply do not last in the K100D - please look on page 27 of the K100D manual and see how long the alkalines are spec'd to last - a paltry 40-80shots.

from the manual - K100D Battery life -

It says in the manual that alkalines are not recommended, other than for checking the camera or emergency use.

Most people use NiMH rechargeable batteries ~2500mAh capacity
and Pentax's own rating is about 300 shots CIPA 50% flash.

However the main complaint of NiMH is their high self-discharge rate -
often people return to their cameras some months later to find the batteries flat.

The current trend seems to be to use LSD (see 5.1.1 Low Self Discharge Batteries at Wikipedia) batteries in the K100D - such as eneloops, RayOVac Hybrid, Kodak Pre-Charged (all 3 of these are reasonably easily obtainable - eg: WalMart has all 3).

(Sanyo) eneloops are the most well known and popular - and may be just marginally the "best" -
but all the reports I've read on the other LSD brands have also been very favorable. So probably any will do.

My personal "strategy" is to use high capacity NiMH ~2500mAh when I know I have to shoot a lot over a short period of time and keep a set of LSD batteries (I use the Kodak Pre-Charged mainly because they are cheap) as back-up/spare.

If I am not going to use the camera for a while - I then keep the LSD/Kodak Pre-charged in the K100D. (the cross-over point seems to be about 1 month comparing LSD and >2500mAh NiMH)

Some references on LSD -

Eneloop Self Discharge study - CandlePowerForums

new Kodac "Pre Charged" NiMH batteries?
see posts #13 , #14 for comparison graphs of capacity between the Kodaks and the standard Duracell 2650mAh NiMH, and against the Uniross Hybrio (LSD).
12-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I bought a bunch of "Impact" batteries earlier in the year because they were the brand featured by B&H. I'm hoping they will die soon so I can go with a name brand. Some days they last all day with 200+ shots. Some days they won't last 10 if not charged within the prvious week. I always have a couple of sets charging and always load a charged set and carry a spare set when leaving home. Any in case of emergency my wife and I always have some alkalines in the car.
12-10-2007, 05:03 AM   #7

Hi!
I use Sanyo 2500 and 2700mAh regular rechargable NiMH batteries and am very satisfied with their performance. Almost too satisfied - it seems that it takes forever for them to discharge
12-10-2007, 05:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I purchased some Noname rechargeable Ni-MH AA 2650mAh 1.2V but when I charge them and use them on any of my Pentax they will not work. I've been told to discharge them and recharge them a half-dozen times and they should work, BUT, they don't.

I've been told that digital cameras are susceptible to rechargeable batteries - what do you suggest.

12-10-2007, 05:32 AM   #9
Forum Member

I guess that I can get almost 1000 shots on my K100D with batteries. I have some good rechareable ones with an good charger.

But now I have the Ansmann battery grip and with that I can make up to 2000 photos when fully charged! And a much better grip on the camera.

Buy always good batteries for your camera and never alkaline ones..
12-10-2007, 09:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I purchased some Noname rechargeable Ni-MH AA 2650mAh 1.2V but when I charge them and use them on any of my Pentax they will not work. I've been told to discharge them and recharge them a half-dozen times and they should work, BUT, they don't.
I've been told that digital cameras are susceptible to rechargeable batteries - what do you suggest.
Unfortunately the easy answer is to try a another set -
perferably a better known name high capacity (>= 2500mAh) NiMh battery -
as you can see from other posts, other people seem to have success using NiMh batteries,
and it is the standard recommendation.

If you are going to buy another set -
I would suggest the LSD batteries -
such as eneloop, Kodak Pre-Charged and RayOVac Hybrid - all easily available at WalMart.
12-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I've never had a battery problem with my k100d.

I use energizer lithium batteries. Long lasting, no worries.
12-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote

I agree here. I'm using Energizer lithium AAs and have no problems or worries. Just the low battery indicator is usualy followed by battery depleted rapidly. But we are talking generaly hundreds of pics per set. Don't have good experience with reachargable AAs but again. Energizers seemed to perform the best...
12-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I agree here. I'm using Energizer lithium AAs and have no problems or worries. Just the low battery indicator is usualy followed by battery depleted rapidly. But we are talking generaly hundreds of pics per set. Don't have good experience with reachargable AAs but again. Energizers seemed to perform the best...
This comes back to comparison between disposable and rechargeable batteries.

First Energizer Lithium AA batteries DO last a long time in the K100D - and withOUT any regard to costs - are one of the best suited types of batteries to use.

According to Pentax's own specs - last between 450-660 shots in the K100D -
a very good performance.

BUT for most of us COST does matter.
Energizer e2 Lithium AAs are on average $10/set of 4.

A set of rechargeable LSD batteries such as the Kodak Pre-Charged are $7.88/4 at WalMart.

Typical number of shots from NiMH according to Pentax specs is 300 shots.

Rechargeable batteries normally claim a life-cycle of 500-1,000.

Let's be ultra-conservative, and say they only last 100 cycles (just 1/10 the touted max).

So for the life of a set of LSD rechargeable battery is 300 x 100
= 30,000 shots at a cost of $7.88.

To get the same number of shots from Lithium AA
(even when using the highest number of shots from the specs - 660)

= 30000/660 sets
= 45 sets of 4, at $10/set

TOTAL cost = $450 ....

$450 is more than the current price (after rebate) to buy the K100D (Super).
12-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Non-rechargeable lithium batteries will last forever (at least 1000 shots) on my K100D. CRV3's will last 1300-1400 shots and I use them for traveling.

For NiMH's I get 400-600 shots, depending on the age of the batteries. The hybrid NiMH's seem to have much better shelf life, and still give a good number of shots.
12-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I have two of these

I have 3 x 4 packs of their 2500mAh Rechargeable batteries that I just rotate around between camera, flash and recharger