Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bummer, my top LCD is going

The top LCD display on my k10d is slowly disappearing. The last number on the shutter speed indicator is disappearing. The third digit over is only 1/2 shown. Strange since when the shutter speed is 2,000, ALL of the numbers show correctly, at least most the time. When the shutter speed is 250 etc. it'll show 25C or 25L. I would love to hear an explanation for this.

12-09-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is it still under warranty?

I probably have way more pictures on my K100 than you do (approaching 30,000) and it's as bright as the day I bought it.
12-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
HA! You are close to my shot count, but I have you beat by about 7200 shots. ;-)
No, the camera is out of warranty. Isn't it just a 90 day warranty anyway? I am just past 1 year of ownership. But sending my k10d off for repair at this time of year isn't an option anyway. I have no back up dslr. So I'll limp along with it, although it does bum me out!
12-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
Syb
Veteran Member

That is too bad! Years ago there were the first digital watches (and calculators). After they fell on the ground they showed exactly what you describe (except for the 1/2000 shutter speed, of course). It was a reason then to throw them away.

Or an excuse to get too late to school

12-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd dig out the warranty card ( I am not where mine is) but I thought the warranty was 1 year??? If so, get a call into your local repair shop and see what they suggest. Maybe you can use it over the holidays and then still sneek it in under warranty.
12-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
No, the camera is out of warranty. Isn't it just a 90 day warranty anyway? I am just past 1 year of ownership.
I believe that it's a 1 year warranty in the US, and a 2 year in Canada.
I guess that they figure we live in the dark 6 months a year where we can't take photo's

Too bad that it's going, but I know that you'll survive.
12-11-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I want to thank you Stu for your recommendation to go and talk to the camera shop where I bought the k10d. They said no worries. After the holidays they will get the problem covered for me under warranty. How is THAT for COOL! He said, "we have ways of taking care of that." I was also looking for another rear cap as somehow I am short one. They didn't have any on the shelf, although they had lots of ones for M42 screw mount lenses. He took out a big box of odds and ends. Lens hoods, caps, all different things and we found a rear cap that works ok for my Pentax lenses. Then he said I could just take it. He didn't even charge me for it!
Ok, that is it, I don't care if I have to pay California sales tax or not, I will buy my next camera from them. I really love the guys at Nelson's Photo (on India St) in San Diego. I feel so much better now.

12-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a great shop and I sorta figured that if you gave them a call since it was very close to the warranty period ending they'd fix you up. Most places will allow about 30 days grace.
12-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Congrats LaRee and that is what customer service is all about !! And it worked as a little good will on their part means you will be loyal and spread the word. It is amazing how many places just don't get that !
12-11-2007, 11:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Guys

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Congrats LaRee and that is what customer service is all about !! And it worked as a little good will on their part means you will be loyal and spread the word. It is amazing how many places just don't get that !
Yep, I like the warm fuzzy feeling I get when I walk into that shop. And now even more so. A true old camera store and I'm pleased that I have it in my city. They are really getting few and far between. They'll be getting more of my business and I'd recommend them to anyone.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Sounds like a great shop and I sorta figured that if you gave them a call since it was very close to the warranty period ending they'd fix you up. Most places will allow about 30 days grace.
It really is a great shop Peter. Thanks for your help. I wasn't hopeful. I figured they have to draw the line somewhere. Although in Canada I believe the warranty is two years so it one year isn't really etched in stone.

The strange thing is when I showed the guy the problem he saw it and I turned the camera back to me and all the numbers were lit again. Turned it a bit again and it disappeared. Seems there might be something what worked loose in there somehow? I guess I'll find out after the holidays.
12-12-2007, 12:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

That's Great News LaRee

The way that you described the store to me in that PM I was sure that they'd treat you right.
Theres nothing better than good old fashioned service