Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K20D sensor failure x 2?

I am just in the process of sending my K20D off to have the sensor replaced for the second time in 10 months. I am curious as to how common this repeat failure is and as to what the usual life of the sensor is. I don't think that I'm doing anything wrong here, but wonder what's going on or if I am just unlucky.

Thoughts, anyone?

10-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Greeneg Quote
I am just in the process of sending my K20D off to have the sensor replaced for the second time in 10 months. I am curious as to how common this repeat failure is and as to what the usual life of the sensor is. I don't think that I'm doing anything wrong here, but wonder what's going on or if I am just unlucky.

Thoughts, anyone?
I think you drew the short straw. I've got a K10, which I've had since before K20's existed, and it's never been near a shop.
10-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I have not read of any sensor failures with the K20D. My K20D has over 50,000 clicks and no sensor problems.

A lot of times the root cause of a failure is not detected with repair. Example your K20D has a problem with the sensor, you get it repaired 10 months latter it goes bad again.

Just my open thoughts, yea really bad luck, or something else it wrong. I would ask the repair center for info as to how and why you would need two sensors in 10 months.
10-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, I didn't remember this being a significant problem with the K20D, but thought I would ask. I did include the question of why twice in 10 months in the material that I've sent with the camera. I'll be curious what they tell me, and will post their comments if they seem worthwhile. Any thing, of course, can break, but I do wonder about the same component in a relatively short period of time.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

10-09-2011, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

You are cursed. Stay away from us. Or see a wizard to have your bad vibes removed. What did you ever do to so anger the Pentax deities? [/me gestures to ward-off bad luck from /me K20D]
10-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What were the symptoms of these sensor failures?
What went wrong and how did it look?

I hope you aren't just describing the appearance of a few hot pixels or something as sensor failure.
10-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm curious about the details too, my K20D keeps going strong /knock on wood.
10-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The first failure was the presence of a fairly thick, horizontal line shown in the image shown in the first post in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/124197-help-what.html#post1297680

C.R.I.S. replaced the sensor under warranty and the camera has performed flawlessly until now.

What I have now is a vertical line, towards the left margin as shown here:

Geese on the Green-HDR | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'll post what they tell me after I hear from them.

BTW, I love my k20D, it's the best camera I have ever owned.

10-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow yeah that looks to be another sensor issue, do you do anything strenuous like lots of long exposures or live view?

Mines been faultless, I hope it stays that way!
10-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've never used the live view. Not a lot of really long exposures, perhaps rarely something like 1/5th or so. I have the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 which I use as a walk around, grandkids' lens. If I am stressing it, I truly don't know where.
10-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What I have now is a vertical line, towards the left margin as shown here...
Aha. Yep, sensor. I had a Fuji Finepix F10 point-and-shoot that exhibited the same sort of lines. Replacing the sensor was the fix.

With the FinePix the lines only really appeared after about 9 months of use. It's interesting how sometimes these problems only seem to develop as sensors 'age', and aren't visible when the item is factory new. Digital tech isn't supposed to be like that.

Was pixel mapping any help in reducing the visibility of those lines?
10-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Evening,

The K20 and K7 share the same sensor. Early in the K7 production run, the sensor had problems with a vertical "green line" through the frame. If I remember correctly it was relatively short lived, and did not bloom in to anything like the stains issue - Pentax replaced the sensor as I remember.

I too have a K20 and it has worked out to be a great camera for me. I did send it into CRIS for noise problems (the images started looking like they came from a gravel quarry). They swapped out the circuit boards and sensor.

10-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Didn't try pixel mapping, in view of the previous failure, I sort of assume that it's another blown sensor. Anyway, it goes to Arizona tomorrow and we'll see what they say.
10-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Didn't try pixel mapping, in view of the previous failure, I sort of assume that it's another blown sensor. Anyway, it goes to Arizona tomorrow and we'll see what they say.
Its my understanding that Pixel mapping is just for the sparse random pixel, and not for an entire column on the sensor...

10-10-2011, 06:39 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Its my understanding that Pixel mapping is just for the sparse random pixel, and not for an entire column on the sensor...

That would make sense.