Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Video: My tips and tricks on nightclub photography!

Hey everyone, part three of my video series is up on my blog. It's all about how I shoot bar/nightclubs and it explains in some detail my technique and tools of the trade. I hope you enjoy!

Photography 2.0 - Reaching the Masses with Technology

Let me know what else you'd like to see videos on and I'll try and get them up ASAP!

12-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Chris
I just finished viewing your two latest videos and Thank You!!!
I do have a question. You mentioned shooting at F4.0 and was wondering why not shoot at f2.8?
I was under the impression that the Large Ap was a real benefit in low Light?
Thanks javier

Last edited by jgredline; 12-09-2007 at 05:03 PM.
12-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty awesome Chris. Why not post in the Knowledgebase forum however?

jgredline, two things. The higher the aperture # the more depth of focus you get. The other thing is hardle any {if even any] lens operates at its optimal point when wide open; all sharpen up by stopping them down some. By how much is governed by each lens.
12-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Hi Chris
I just finished viewing your two latest videos and Thank You!!!
I do have a question. You mentioned shooting at F4.0 and was wondering why not shoot at f2.8?
I was under the impression that the Large Ap was a real benefit in low Light?
Thanks javier
As pointed out I want some sharpness and not too many lenses are sharp wide open at 2.8, so I stop down a bit, plus the added depth of field gives me a little more room to miss and still get the persons face sharp. At f2.8 we have a very thin DOF and keeping your camera extended out in front of you you're not going to have the steadiest of hands to keep what you locked in focus sharp. The only time f2.8 would benefit me in low light is if I'm not using a flash to stop action while boosting the ISO to 1600, but in the bars I've shot in we're talking f2.8 1/30th shutter at ISO 1600, not so nice and no action would be stopped at all.

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Pretty awesome Chris. Why not post in the Knowledgebase forum however?

jgredline, two things. The higher the aperture # the more depth of focus you get. The other thing is hardle any {if even any] lens operates at its optimal point when wide open; all sharpen up by stopping them down some. By how much is governed by each lens.
Thanks and I would, but it takes approval for the thread to appear in that section so I post in here in to get it up quickly and maybe the mods would move it to the knowledge base hint hint!

12-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I watched. I enjoyed. I learned.
12-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I watched. I enjoyed. I learned.
Thanks Mike and maybe try it at one of your shows!
12-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am at work now, but will watch this video with much intent once I get home. I really need to learn greater flash skills. Looking at your samples I am in awe.