Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
E-dial is dead (*IstDs): what backup for K10d?

Hey,

The problem is clear. The only e-dial on my Ds is dead. Was already dead after +/- 3k pics taken (and a lot of digital zooming, I should admit).

Now here is the issue.

What camera will I take as a backup for my K10d? Many guys are glad with their K100Super, how is it compared to the options of the IstDs? On the other hand, the image quality of *Ds is more than satisfying. And it is relatively cheap on ebay... but it still has only one e-dial. And if it is flawed, too... I could get angry.

Any suggestions?

12-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think it's pretty easy to fix the E-Dial, it's just some dirt under the wheel. I know someone opened the camera up and fixed the problem quite easily. Or you can just send it to a service center for a fee. Won't cost too much to get it fixed.

Unless you want to upgrade already. I got a K100D as a backup of my K10D, quite like it.
12-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frank is right, it is just dirty. You can take yours apart even with the least amount of mechanical skill.

As for a backup to the K10, mine is the *ist D. It supports wireless flash with the onboard flash and has a TTL sensor. It also is more sensitive (than the K10) to IR light. Beware, though - it takes CF cards and is slow as molasses. Also, the menu isn't nearly as good or navigable as the K10's.
12-09-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you're satisfied with the IstDs, I'd recommend fixing it and not shopping for another camera. However, if you simply want a new camera, I'd suggest waiting another few weeks to see what the start of the new year has to offer (especially since you already have a good cameras in the K10D and the repaired IstDs). If you absolutely cannot wait (money eating a hole in your pocket), a second K10D body may be the answer (although, at this point, I personally would probably buy other, less expensive, accessories instead).

That's basically my overall game plan at the moment. I have two K10D camera bodies (primary and backup) and might replace one of those with a new camera body next year depending on the product offerings. Otherwise, I'll keep keep what I have. In the meantime, I'm adding to my overall system with new accessories.

stewart

12-09-2007, 11:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Fix it, and save up for the new body and make your K10D your new backup!
12-10-2007, 06:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I agree with Buddah!
thanks
barondla