Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2007, 09:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is probably far fetched I am afraid, but I do hope it is some kind of wacky strange coincidence battery problem. That would be easier to handle than sending in your k10d. UGH THAT would be the pits! I'm sorry you are having to deal with this Dave.

12-10-2007, 07:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
It is probably far fetched I am afraid, but I do hope it is some kind of wacky strange coincidence battery problem. That would be easier to handle than sending in your k10d. UGH THAT would be the pits! I'm sorry you are having to deal with this Dave.
Thanks LaRee - I will be at the shop in a few hours and will give an update when I come back.
12-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good News ... Bad News ... Good News ...

Well over the Lunch hour I brought her into the shop. Slapped in a known working good fully charged battery and Vola - Issue still exists

So I bought a new battery anyway - the one that comes in a new K10D body box Looks like the Xmas LBA just turned into BBA . The good news (I suppose??) is I now have a spare everything for the body and soon even a spare body. My existing batteries in the new body show a full charge so all is good. Interestingly enough the new body still comes with Firmware 1.0 so the first thing was a quick upgrade. Also I think I changed some of the custom menu – will have to revist that.

The better news is even though I bought the camera used from a member on this forum (he gave me the original receipt) - the warranty is good. So the repair will not cost me anything. The bad news is it is the standard 4 - 8 weeks. The good news is the new K10D bodies are on sale for $649.00 almost half price of the one I brought in was worth when bought (March 08). The bad new is that was about $700.00 (taxes) I was not planning on departing with. The good news is I am back in the picture taking business.

I really think it was just a defect. I don’t think 15 minutes or so in extreme cold should have affected the body. I treat my equipment very carefully so I am pretty sure abuse or it being dropped is out of the question (unless someone else did)

Anyway if I get the camera back within 30 days I can return the new one. If not watch the Marketplace or I may just keep it who knows.

Thanks for the support and suggestions.
12-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Keep it. It is the only way to avoid SM (sellers remorse).

Good Luck

David

12-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #20

I use standard AA batteries in my Ds and I keep new AA's in the refrigerator to supposedly keep them fresh and extend the shelf life. But, when I have to replace the batteries, I have to warm them up with my hands for several seconds (maybe a minute or more) or the camera will not power up. The camera is the only device I have that needs to have the batteries warmed up in order to work.

John
12-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
The good news is I am back in the picture taking business.
That's the best news for all of us Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
I use standard AA batteries in my Ds and I keep new AA's in the refrigerator to supposedly keep them fresh and extend the shelf life. But, when I have to replace the batteries, I have to warm them up with my hands for several seconds (maybe a minute or more) or the camera will not power up. The camera is the only device I have that needs to have the batteries warmed up in order to work.

John
I've forgotten about this before as well John, but the K10 has a special type of battery.
So Dave can't just pick up a couple of AA's to get him through the day.
I do understand what your saying, but it probably wouldn't help a K10 owner much.
12-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
Keep it. It is the only way to avoid SM (sellers remorse).

Good Luck

David
HaHa thanks David since I bought a new one mine will come back in 31 days which will void the return policy - not sure at this point but I got 4 - 8 weeks to decide

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote

John
Hey John - I am not sure I do know the cold will expedite the lasting power of batteries kinda like a Seinfeld episode (think cold water and shrinkage') - I don't use many portable devices these days that do no have some sort of proprietary battery (iPod, Laptop,DSLR & PS Camera , etc..)

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
That's the best news for all of us Dave
..snip ....
HaHa thanks Stu - If I had some of your talent now ... I have a passion for it , and working on the 'art and science' as long as the passion stays I am good to go

12-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

HaHa thanks Stu - If I had some of your talent now ... I have a passion for it , and working on the 'art and science' as long as the passion stays I am good to go
You are equally talented Dave, you just live in a less scenic environment.
I'd love to what you'd come up with in an area like Jasper, with no-one getting in your way.
12-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Did you check the SD card. If door open or SD card failed, sometimes the camera will not power up. I have used mine at temperature well below -25 c for long period, never had a problem.

Denis
12-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #25

Well over the Lunch hour I brought her into the shop. Slapped in a known working good fully charged battery and Vola - Issue still exists

So I bought a new battery anyway - the one that comes in a new K10D body box Looks like the Xmas LBA just turned into BBA . The good news (I suppose??) is I now have a spare everything for the body and soon even a spare body. My existing batteries in the new body show a full charge so all is good. Interestingly enough the new body still comes with Firmware 1.0 so the first thing was a quick upgrade. Also I think I changed some of the custom menu – will have to revist that.

The better news is even though I bought the camera used from a member on this forum (he gave me the original receipt) - the warranty is good. So the repair will not cost me anything. The bad news is it is the standard 4 - 8 weeks. The good news is the new K10D bodies are on sale for $649.00 almost half price of the one I brought in was worth when bought (March 08). The bad new is that was about $700.00 (taxes) I was not planning on departing with. The good news is I am back in the picture taking business.

I really think it was just a defect. I don’t think 15 minutes or so in extreme cold should have affected the body. I treat my equipment very carefully so I am pretty sure abuse or it being dropped is out of the question (unless someone else did)

Anyway if I get the camera back within 30 days I can return the new one. If not watch the Marketplace or I may just keep it who knows.

Thanks for the support and suggestions.
Hi Dave,

I am glad that you're able to take pics again and I would recommend that you contact
the person you purchased the defective K10D off of and see if he/she will send the camera
back to Pentax (hopefully Canada) as they Pentax (Canada) should pick up shipping costs if
it goes back through the store it was purchased at originally. Also, seeing as how you have
the original sales receipt, you can try contacting Pentax Canada -- see below for contact info --

PENTAX CANADA 1770 Argentia Rd
Mississauga, ON , L5N 3S7

Phone: 905-286-5585
FAX: 905-286-5586

Like the majority of the others, I can't see 15 minutes of cold weather causing your camera
this much of a problem ....however, I can see bringing a cold camera into a warm house causing
a bit of a problem due to 'condensation' -- I lived and shot in Winnipeg for a number of years so I
know the 'cold > warm' problems -- and if it is a 'condensation problem' then I believe that
would void the warranty and, if you wanted to go ahead with a repair, you would have to pay
for the repair Another alternative is to contact the repair in Alberta, albeit Calgary, and see
if they can fix it locally -- if you are in (or near) Calgary -- click the following link and go to Repair Centre's
or you can fill out the form at the end and send your info to Pentax Canada in Mississauga:

http://www.pentax.ca/support/digital/index.php

Hope some of this helps and if you do go ahead with the repair hopefully it will be covered under
warranty

Cheers,

Jack
12-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #26

refrigerating batteries to preserve shelf life is a myth. I had some hearing aid batteries die before their shelf life date and had a very long conversation with Duracell on the myth of chilling batteries. It works with film and coffee but not batteries.
12-10-2007, 07:08 PM   #27

My K10 did not start up on one occasion and I found the SD card was not properly seated. Have you tried changing memory cards?
at least it is cheap and quick.
12-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all

1. The repair will be honored under warranty as far as it stands now. The individual I purchased it from supplied me with the original receipt which has the serial number of the camera. There is a two year warranty I believe the first is world wide and the second year is Canada only (or vice versa can't remember) - The camera is being shipped to Calgary so we will see what they say. (McBain Camera had no issue with this so a good start)

2. I did not try to reseat the SD card however I did try without an SD card and still no go

3. Condensation may have been the issue - but let's keep that between me you and the fence post Albeit I have had it out in cold weather before ?? Ahh it only takes once I guess

I will update once I hear if the repair is covered - if not I will probably go ahead with it as long as it a reasonable amount and file the experience under Doooooooooooooooh

Thanks again.
12-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Well I guess that is one way to get a second body. I'm sorry for your woes though. I'd be really bummed if I had to be without my k10d for even a day. I would do just what you did and pick up another one. I also have had a problem come up this past week with the top LCD on my k10d. I'm not sure what I am going to do about it. I am just 3 weeks past a year from purchase so I think the warranty won't go for me. I may still take it in to the local shop where I purchased it and see what they say. Here is the post I made about it:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/16176-bummer-my-top-lcd-going.html

I sure hope your k10d comes back quickly. Keep us posted as to how long it takes.
12-10-2007, 08:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
You are equally talented Dave, you just live in a less scenic environment.
I'd love to what you'd come up with in an area like Jasper, with no-one getting in your way.
Thanks - Yeah now that would be sweet! In Feb '08 we are spending two full weeks in Mexico with some friends, my first time there - a week with the kids (well young adults really 18 and 16) and a week with just me and da wife I kinda think there will be a few photo opps there - I do hope to get out to Mountains (Jasper or Banff) at least once this winter as you well know that is very scenic country. Went through them in August on the way to Golden for a week. Xmas is a good photo opp always as we go out to country at my Bro-in-Laws cabin (if you can call a 3500 sq ft Log mansion a 'cabin' haha - he is who I aspire to be !) So many places to take snaps ...sooooooo little time