Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #1

K-x won't turn on

All of a sudden my K-x stopped working and won't turn on. I changed the batteries but no change. I tried a different lens, no good. The odd thing is that when I do turn the switch on I hear a slight clicking noise on the left side of the camera.

Any thoughts?

10-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What batteries? Have you tried lithiums?
10-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yes - I tried new lithiums. No change
10-13-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's still under warranty, have it shop-repaired. It's not easy to find out without taking the camera apart, and that is a dangerous idea. BTW, just asking: does the blue light near the switch still flick when you turn it on? And prior to the day where you found it was not working, have you used it somewhere moist?

10-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
Unfortunately, I bought it 13 months ago (which is why I have my entry in the forum). No, the blue light won't go on, not even for a split second. And I have not gotten it wet or real moist.
10-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hmm even though it's past warranty you could still have it repaired, but for quite a cost. I wouldn't recommend taking it apart to check the insides, that's just too dangerous. Something's wrong with its circuitry, not the mirror box or connections to the lens, that's for sure.
10-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #7

I think they should repair it for free. Each product has an "estimated life" stated by producer, different from warranty. usually is something between 3-5 years. Go to some consumer rights institution. It's too soon to fail, warranty or not. I guess you do not have something like 99000 pictures taken
10-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Some suggestions:

- Reset all your menus and camera settings to defaults (p280 of the manual);
- Try some brand-new Energizer Lithiums. Not cheapo lithiums. And make sure to set Auto or 'Lithium' as the battery type in the Menu (p-253 of manual);
- Make sure you are inserting the batteries the right way in the battery holder (!!!);
- Clean the contacts on the battery door, and look inside the bottom of the battery holder to see if there isn't any crud down there too (like leaked battery acid etc).
- Put your camera in a dry cabinet and/or in a container with some drying compounds (silica gel etc) or just in a dry place for a while and see if that makes a difference;
- Make sure the power switch is working OK and is not crudded up;
- Flip the flash up and down a few times to make sure that the flash button or the flash itself isn't stuck on or something.
- That left clicking noise may also relate to the AF/MF switch. Flip that a few times and mount the kit lens and try and focus in AF and manual mode and see what happens.

03-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Any update?

Hi, i'm new to the forum and have always loved my Pentax Kx in White although the whole battery thing is very cumbersome.
To the OP, do you have any update on your camera? I was having the same problem, purchased mine late 2009 and last Fall 2011, it just stopped working. There's been some really great advise I will try also but wanted to know if you've had any luck.

BTW i purchased the Q which is soo "Q-ute" the body is stunning but I'm really liking the newest K-01. I would prefer to get my original back working again and return the Q as I can't really afford it.
03-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #10

Original Poster
Kx won't turn on

As it turned out, the motherboard on the Kx died and I had to have it replaced at about $175. I don't remember where I sent it. However, I remember checking the Pentax website for a place to send it. It took about 3 weeks or so to get fixed.

Paul
03-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pmort Quote
As it turned out, the motherboard on the Kx died and I had to have it replaced at about $175.
Ouch! At least it was sufficiently cheaper than another body to make it worth it, and odds are that part shouldn't fail again.

Good luck,
Bob :-)
08-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #12

pentax k-x wont turn on, clicking noise

i just had the same problem, wont turn on, clicking noise. im no camera repair man but i have an understanding of electronics. i wasnt gunna pay to get it fixed i just bought a new one so i figured i might as well take it apart just to look around. it turns out that the lcd monitor that plugs into the circuit board was the problem. as soon as i unplugged it from the camera, the camera would turn on but as soon as i would plug it back in the blue light would go off and the clicking would return. my thought was somethin was either shorted out in the lcd or was not grounding right. the way they ground these cameras is just stupid. you'll see if you take it apart. the separate parts of the camera ground each other by touch when the pieces are screwed together. my remedy was to just bend these copper grounds a lil better to make certain everything was grounded and to put a folded up piece of double sided tape on the back of the lcd monitor plug so when you tighten the monitor back to the camera it would keep more pressure on the plug so it wouldnt wobble loose. it took a few hours to do this but the camera is up and working just fine.so if you are having this type of problem my advice would be to take off the back section of the camera that contains the lcd screen and unplug it from the camera and see if the camera will then turn on. if it does, you have the same problem. do what i did and it should be just fine. but to remove the back part of the camera you do have to remove the bottom,'which will pull right off, and the top which will remain connected by wires so be gentle to not break any of them. good luck
08-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #13

pentax k-x wont turn on, clicking noise

and to pmort, to replace the mother board would usually cost alot more than 175 bucks so i think whoever you sent it too got ya!! but thats just my opinion!