Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Recomendations for Gear in Ma.

I have noticed a lot of members are from the Boston area, I was wondering if you had any favorite shops that stock pentax gear, lenses, flashes, and such? The shop I purchased my K10D at is limited in their inventory and some of the calls I have made result in we don't stock that for pentax but we could order it. Yes I could order on line but I would rather check it out in person before shelling out the money. Any recomendations on a f2.8 telephoto also welcome I need the extra light for my son's hockey games and oldest daughters basketball games.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

12-22-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Although I live in Boston, I have bought everything online. However, if anyone knows of a store in Boston that has good used gear for Pentax, I'd like to know about it.

Bob, sounds like you need a 70-200mm f/2.8. Nobody makes one for Pentax right now, which means you'll have to pay over the MSRP on eBay if you want one. The Sigma version shows up quite often and sells for $1000-1200. Every now and again I see an old manual focus Tokina show up and sell for maybe half of that. It sucks to shoot Pentax if you need long, fast glass right now.
12-23-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm a close neighbor in RI and bought my equipment at Hunt's Photo near Eddy St (the old jewlery district) in Providence. they are on line and have store in Boston area as well. The store has some pentax equipment and can order others or have in store from their on-line servie to look at. When I bought at the store, I had been in 2-3 times to try equipment out and handle before making the decision, In addition, I was able to keep the price the same as the on-line prices including taxes. Good knowledgable people in store although sometimes too busy to wait on you. try Hunt's Photo & Video.
12-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I am in the western part of the state but agree Hunts could ne a good bet. They have a shop here in Hadley. Not so much on the Pentax gear but they have some. I think online will be your best bet even thought you can't test it first. Good luck,

12-23-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hunts is the only place I know of in the Boston area as well :-P
12-23-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can buy Pentax in a store? What a novel idea!

Actually I bought my wife's istD at Ritz Camera in Connecticut because I wanted to be sure it supported all her manual K1000 lens. I brought along a Sigma Zoom to verify it worked on a DSLR before purchase. My K1x0Ds and her recent K100D all were ordered on line from B&H.

There is a Hunt's store in Hadley? Next time we are in the area we'll take a ride over the river. We've been to Iris in Northampton and it seems like a nice shop, but no Pentax.
12-24-2007, 07:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

boston camera stores.

Ugh, I always find the people at Hunt's kind of obnoxious. Both high-pressure sales and yet disdainful at the same time.

I know it's a bigger chain, but I've been pretty impressed with the people at Ritz in Coolidge Corner. Nice and Pentax-friendly, although last I checked they only stock the K100D Super Kit and nothing else. (The one at the Galleria mall has the K10D and maybe the "kit" telephoto zoom.) The one in Harvard Square sometimes has old glass, but the people there are more obnoxious.

Calumet (near the Galleria, back by where PCs for Everyone used to be) has more -- they had the DA 14mm when I looked a few months ago. They're pretty busy a lot of the time and seem to mostly cater to regular working professionals and other people regularly spending lots of money but still tend to be nice even if you're not.

And Cameras Inc, in Davis carries the K100D and K10D kits, and will order anything. They're super, super friendly and will try to work with you on price, too.

12-24-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I've posted about this before but, I only WISH my local Ritz Camera store was either Pentax freindly or knowledgable in photo equipment. Unfortunately for me, neither is true of my Ritz Camera in Kinnelon, NJ.

With so many stores, I doubt my experiences can be shared for all Ritz stores but, what a damn shame.
12-24-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
And Cameras Inc, in Davis carries the K100D and K10D kits, and will order anything. They're super, super friendly and will try to work with you on price, too.
I live a 10 minute walk away from Davis Sq. and never knew this store was there! I'll have to check if they sell used equipment.

Thanks Matt!
12-24-2007, 12:25 PM   #10

Hunts seems quite good. They have stores all over. I live between harvard and central squares and go to the one in harvard square. They have k10d's and an assortment of lenses in stock. My wife uses a canon and they had tons of stuff for it too. I haven't got a pentax yet, but will probably buy a k10d pretty soon (sorta waiting to see if a 20d or something like that comes out soon). Anyway, I haven't been to their other stores, but the people in the harvard square store were friendly and not at all high-pressure. They were super laid back actually, got out lots of stuff for us to check out, but only when we asked for it. They let my wife try out the lens she wanted before she bought it as well as various hoods.
12-24-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
You can buy Pentax in a store? What a novel idea!

Actually I bought my wife's istD at Ritz Camera in Connecticut because I wanted to be sure it supported all her manual K1000 lens. I brought along a Sigma Zoom to verify it worked on a DSLR before purchase. My K1x0Ds and her recent K100D all were ordered on line from B&H.

There is a Hunt's store in Hadley? Next time we are in the area we'll take a ride over the river. We've been to Iris in Northampton and it seems like a nice shop, but no Pentax.
Leo, don't go out of your way to head there. They only have a couple and I mean 1 or 2 K10's or K100's in stock and nothing else. I always go in expecting to see more but never do Iris is the lab I always use. They don't stock much in the line of Pentax either but are very nice and willing to order what ever you need
12-25-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for responding

I had just written a long thank you and story about ritz but it is to much to rewrite, anyway has anyone had experince with Newtonville Camera/Photo? I thought there might be a smaller camera shop out there that is more Pentax friendly but I have thought about trying Hunt's and Calmut's thank you for the replies.

Happy Holidays,

Bob