Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #1

Best Macro set up for the K200

Hi, Finaly got my hands on a mint Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro lens.
had a quick shooting session today and looks great. Question is im not very talented yet in the macro so Can any one suggest what is the best settings for my camera to be at for the best shots of close up insects that will be still. And what these settings should be rather than auto . Thanks

10-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Practice is probably the most valuable way to get better. But while you practice keep the following in mind:
Stop down as much as you can for greater DOF.
Use a tripod when you can - this helps with slower shutter speeds associated with stopping down
If your subject is moving, you can't use a tripod as easily, so use a flash to compensate
Off-camera flash looks better than on IMO.
The flash should be at least somewhat diffused either via DIY techniques or a commercial product.
Don't forget about good composition
Have fun!
10-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stop down is right - I rarely shoot macro on the FA100mm below 11, which seems sharp to me.
Keep your shutter speed up, or limit your auto-ISO to a comfortable range. Make sure your Shake Reduction is working....

With my K10 I shot a lot in Tv in full sunlight - trying to freeze bumblebee wings in flight. Never successful, even as fast as that shutter would work...

I usually shoot TAv now, to keep the Aperture setting where I want while playing with shutter speed.
10-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shammon Quote
Can any one suggest what is the best settings for my camera to be at for the best shots of close up insects that will be still
Light is key - ALWAYS take an off camera flash with you (with some sort of diffuser), this is especially true with shorter focal lengths as the 50mm, you and your camera will more than likely be blocking light (subject illumination) more often than not when getting that close to insects.

Shot 50mm macro with off camera flash YN560 [50% Power] at f/11, 400ISO:

Shot 50mm macro with off camera flash YN560 [80% Power] at f/11, 200ISO:

---