Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-7 flash warning in Av driving me mad

I only recently broke myself of the habit of just using Av for everything, and have been enjoying TAv mode. Just now though I switched back to Av, and I noticed something that I'm amazed didn't bother me before:

When shooting indoors with moderate natural light behind me, in Av mode with the lens wide open (f 1.8) and auto ISO on, giving me shutter speeds around 1/60 , the flash icon blinks at me, and I don't understand why. If I lock in any ISO, or any aperture, the flashing continues no matter what. (If I turn a little toward the windows, it'll stop flashing.) The exposures are perfect, very nice histogram, so what is the point of the flashing? Is it just the camera saying, "hey, it looks like you're indoors so you might want to pop up the flash and pointlessly drain your battery even though the correct exposure doesn't need it"? What is the purpose of that blinking icon? And is there some way for me to make it stop?

This doesn't happen in Tv or TAv mode. So why is it doing it with Av?

Thanks for any info on this.

10-16-2011, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also have noticed it and my take on it that it has to do with the minimum shutterspeed that the camera thinks that you can do handhold. With a DFA100WR, it stops as soon as the shutterspeed is faster than or equal to 1/180; with a FA31td it stops as soon as the shutterspeed is faster than or equal to 1/60. Basically around 2x focal length.

Those shutterspeeds are also the ones that are automatically choosen when you popup the flash while in AV.

In the other modes where shutterspeed can be set, it assumes that the user knows what he/she is doing.

PS
It definitely does not have anything to do with correct exposure.
10-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks sterretje! As it happens, it's the FA31 Ltd that I was using. Makes sense now. (Although mine only stops when it's faster, not equal, to 1/60, and it's setting 1/80 for the flash, for some reason.)
10-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You probably use 1/3 EV steps instead of 1/2 EV steps in your setup somewhere.

10-17-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Right again! ;-)