Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by travis_cooper Quote
My choice came down to price. <snip..>.
I think a lot of us started out this way. I was/am in much the same boat as Travis. Never owned an SLR - exposure was something that happened to somebody in our harsh winter climate. I like to think I am a little wiser now - but not much and I still need the practice, pratice , practice ...

I am also sure most of us followed the same path - Google. Once we read 50 reviews prasing the C**, N**, S** ... we found 49 reviews calling it a POS. After months of driving myself insane with reviews I went to a shop and held a few. At that time the K100D just 'felt better' in my hand. Went back and did some research on Pentax. Another few weeks of great, POS reviews and I decided for what I do (I have a day job) almost any one of these camera would work for me. Then it came down to Lens. Once I knew Pentax was compatible with every lens they every made I was sold. The price was a factor as well - but not the determining factor. 2 months later I upgraded to a K10D.

So what is better for a newcomer ? Some words I came to value from reviews: Bodies come and go good glass is forever -(somebody’s SIG here) - words to live by. You will upgrade the body at some point , be nice to re-use what glass you have. The other piece of advice I liked is what do your friends and family have? If they all have N** then the possibility of sharing lens comes into play - for me nobody I know that lived close had anything so that was out of the equation.

Good Luck with your choice - technically all major vendors will meet your needs IMHO. As mentioned before on this forum there may be a 'slight bias to Pentax' - I vote the K10D

Last edited by daacon; 12-11-2007 at 09:37 AM.
12-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Pentax is a great value. Lots of features only found in the higher priced competition, and lots of (used to be cheap) used lenses. Some of them can still be had for a nice price.

If you can, go hold all your finalists and see which one speaks to you. That's the one you should buy. Otherwise, you'll feel like you "settled" for something less.
12-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #18
Inactive Account

HI mrrookie, the K10 is one of the most awarded digital camera if not the most. You cannot go wrong with any Pentax. A thread on the other forum from Mark Dimo re his K10 and his 40D and 5D shooting buddies in a not so favorable condition, salt, humidity and just plain moisture tells a lot about the Pentax quality.

Cheers,

Rene
12-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrrookie Quote
Hello everyone!

Well... im new here so this will also be some sort of introduction.

Im a mexican student, 22 years old who has always shown interest in photography but could never afford getting into it, until now (film cameras are cheap but film and their processing cost might be a bit prohibitive if you do it often around here).

The thing is that i've been reading a lot about photography (at least the theorethical part of it), and i do feel very inclined torwards a dSLR, the only little problem is that i dont know which one.

For what i've read, the k10d seems like a pretty sweet camera for those who like to stay out of the dumb modes, has a lot of features and you don't have to sell a kidney to afford one, but im still very unsure because i still ignore many things about photography in general.

I still haven't got married with any brand so i guess i will have to choose a way. Therefore i would like to ask you this:

Is Pentax the right way for me?.

If this helps, i'd like to use the camera for many, many things, but mainly landscapes, urban photography and portraits. Wild life is out of the question because i have yet to figure out a way to steal a bank without getting caught in order to afford one of those sweet sweet wide teles

BTW i have a sentimental relationship with a pentax camera who belonged to my father, who died when i was 4, it was an M series.

Thanks everyone for reading this, sorry for the drama!
I am a bit late getting into this discussion, but I notice that no one has mentioned the biggest advantage Pentax has over every other camera on the market: Ease of use. Pentax has always had the most user friendly cameras on the market. Next to Pentax (since the demise of those lovely Olympus OM's) comes Nikon. Canon is about the lowest on this scale. Everything seems to be 15 layers down a trail of menu options.

The image quality and lens availability and everything mean nothing if the person behind the camera has to spend 15 minutes with the instruction book to change a simple setting. Although the K100d and its cousing the D110d have more things in menus, they still appear to be laid out in a logical manner.

[Donning asbestos suit!]

12-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Loyal Member

Gallery Photos: 5

Oh, same goes for Olympus and Sony, too. I don't want to buy into the same 2-company myth!

A little OT: why on EARTH didn't Olympus include backwards compatibility with their awesome old Zuiko lenses?!
__

I will be argue with you with some point sony is not mith sony just 100 % accet from very good camera as minolta,and now all new sony model with some degree mostly 70 % minolta idea and tech inovation.I had Minolta 5D before lost my camera in accident and will be go to Pentax to more reason Price new`A700 i can't offer,and A100 even with !10meg not same as 5D with 6. I find out some adapter to convert my older minolta lens to Pentax and as i tested its work.i hope i make step in right direction.
12-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
I am a bit late getting into this discussion, but I notice that no one has mentioned the biggest advantage Pentax has over every other camera on the market: Ease of use. Pentax has always had the most user friendly cameras on the market. Next to Pentax (since the demise of those lovely Olympus OM's) comes Nikon. Canon is about the lowest on this scale. Everything seems to be 15 layers down a trail of menu options.

The image quality and lens availability and everything mean nothing if the person behind the camera has to spend 15 minutes with the instruction book to change a simple setting. Although the K100d and its cousing the D110d have more things in menus, they still appear to be laid out in a logical manner.

[Donning asbestos suit!]
Many menu items are things you don't frequently get into, such as power-down delay. And, the Nikon D40 guide is designed specifically for newbies.
12-11-2007, 10:15 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Obviously my vote is for Pentax. Nothing wrong with the offereings from Canon or Nikon, but the D40 is one Nikon I would avoid just for the fact that AutoFocus only works with their newer lenes that don't use a screw drive. I don't care how good it my be otherwise, I wouldn't want to be limited in that way.
12-11-2007, 10:28 PM   #23

This question is like asking if Panda Bear like to eat Bamboo...
..kidding aside, now that I have the K10 and a mild case of LBA, my thought is this: If you think you don't mind used lens and would like an extended compatibility range, the Pentax line fit this thought very well. Now, if you are going to become a lens addict, where your camera may eventually cost a fraction of your lens investment, Pentax probably isn't for you. It's not that they don't have quality lens (on the contrary) but dollar to dollar the N & C crowd will be happy to report that their availability of brand lens & third party lens are so plentiful the economy of scale are heavily swing their favors.

But then buying decision are often an emotional one...

Cheers & good luck

12-11-2007, 10:47 PM   #24
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Go K10D if you can get some nice lenses with your budget.
But if you really don't mind less resolution and speed, K100D Super is not a bad choice either. Don't know how effective the dust removal system is on the Super, but I got my K100D before the Super came out and have had to clean the sensor 5 times (in less than a year) - and I can't tell you how meticulous I've been with avoiding dust from getting in.

Of all the entry models, K100D beats Canon's 350/400D and Nikon's D40/40X in my mind. The K100D just feels more professional, menus are very usable and accessible and performs quite well - of course I'm biased. I've had a good play with the D40X after a friend bought it for their trip overseas, and liked its speed (great continuous shooting at 10Mp), but hated everything else about it. Even worse, when I came to help them look for a telephoto lens to compliment their 18-55, I realised that their choices were limited to expensive Sigma and Nikon lenses because of the body's lack of AF motor.

Perhaps in the future there will be more of these lenses available but for now, my friends are looking at having to spend $600 for what's really the optical equivalent of the Sigma 70-300 DG when they only spent $800 on the D40X and 18-55.

So with Pentax, you can be sure that the choice of lenses is much greater and of good quality. My .02 worth.