Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
AF adjustment setting with manual lenses

Hi,

Playing around with my K7 and operator manual.

In the "Custom Setting Menu" item #36 - AF Adjustment, I changed the default to ON and then took multiple images (using tripod) from +4 to -4.

I was using my manual focus Tokina 500mm mirror lens, as an attempt to gain sharper images. It seems my images were sharpest at -4. Is this real or my imagination ? Or is it just a result of a better focusing effort ?

My question is, will a manual focus lens benefit from adjustments in item #36, or is it restricted only to AF lenses ?

Appreciate any insight. Thanks.

10-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Only AF lenses. That's why it's called AF Adjustment. MF lenses have no AF parameters to adjust. You either hit the focus with an AF lens or you don't.

The AF system and Focus Confirmation don't control MF lens focusing. How did you evaluate your mirror lens? If with Focus Confirmation, be aware that it flashes on when SOMETHING within the zone comes into focus. Exactly WHERE that happens may vary if your focusing in (closer) or out (further). And are you tripod-mounted? Handholding in focus tests can give erroneous results.
10-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I get it now ...

Appreciate your input. My crude test was using my Tokina 500 mirror on a tripod and focusing at a distant lock on a fence. The focus confirmation light would come on, and that probably added to my confusion. I've read here on PF that focusing can be difficult with mirrors, so my best and sharpest image must have been the result of a better effort on my part. Thanks again.