Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
John Shaw's "field guide to nature photography" or something like that is very helpful for many things in addition to nature shots.

10-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #32

Photos: Albums
My 2 cents...

My first book was "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson and it was good for introduction to the basic photography concepts.
My second try was - "Wildlife Photography - Stories from the field" by Geroge Lepp and it was ok. It's not technical but rather gives insights when photographing different species like elephants, birds etc...
My third book was - "Eye to Eye" By Frans Lanting. It was pure pleasure from wonderful photographs and there are no tutorials in it. But observing his photographs gives some insights into composition. Some of the photos are really breath taking for me.
My fourth book - "Nature Photography Field Guide" by John Shaw. I learn't good techniques on metering. I learn't about tonalities and how to meter them properly. I recommend this.
My Fifth books - "The Camera" and "The Lens" by Ansel Adams. Right now I am reading "The Lens". I feel every body should pick these copies. Ansel Adams explains pure basics, mechanics of the camera and the lens and more importantly the zone system. One may come back to these for reference time to time.

I am not a pro but I would be ready to buy John Shaw and Ansel Adams' books again.

Cheers
Guna
10-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I forgot to mention WHY the Time-Life LIBRARY OF PHOTOGRAPHY series, which were available cheap on eBay the last time I looked. They're pre-digital. They cover film, yes, but the principles of photography remain the same. They cover techniques. And they're beautiful, containing many masterpieces of camera work. Start with THE CAMERA and go on to the volumes on studio, travel, nature, children, art, great themes, documentary, photojournalism, etc. They're just a fantastic resource.
My aunt was a commercial photographer. When our family "went to the big city," to visit and all the adults were doing their boring talking, I found these books and eventually read through every last one of them as a young teen. They really inspired my interest in photography in the first place and within a couple years, I'd put together a darkroom that could be set up in the spare bathroom with a safelight screwing into the lamp socket and a plywood blackout screen I'd made for the window. Towels under the door and I was set.

It might be interesting to leaf through these again after all these years. Wonderful books!
10-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
The Photographer's Eye should be read first (lots of concepts and how we see things) - The Photographer's Mind extends one of the ideas from the first book - intent - and examines what makes a great photograph. Both are well worth reading (and re-reading).

Cheers
I had forgotten about both these excellent books.

10-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #35
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
The series of Adobe Photoshop CS* (CS3, CS4, CS5) for Photographers by Martin Evening.

Sure reduced my learning curve from a vertical line to something nearer a horizontal one.
10-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
This because I wrote it.
Congratulations! I missed this comment on my first pass through the thread.
10-26-2011, 12:24 AM   #37
Veteran Member

The three AA books, of course...
And the twoo books 'DARKROOM' published by LUSTRUM PRESS!
Then looking at the work of the great masters like Adget, Strand, Weston, Sally Mann, E. Smith and last but not least Josef Sudek.

10-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I really like Creative Night Photography by Harold Davis. That really helped me understand how to shoot night photography; how to focus in the dark, how to choose a shutter speed and and aperture.