Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-x starter kit

I've just purchased a beautiful navy blue K-x for my wife (who won't be getting the gift any too soon). It comes with just the kit lense (18-55). I shoot Pentax film only and we have a point and shoot Lumix that she currently uses, she'll be graduating to the K-x. Here's the question for you dSLR veterans;

What would you put in a kit for a dSLR? LCD protector? Lense cleaner for sure, what else?

I'm looking to pick up the 50-200 also and the AL looks to be a very good lense for the money. Is the metal vs plastic base a big deal? I would sway towards the metal base. (or is this a baseless argument?)

10-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #2

Not a veteran, but ..
lens wipes, small bag, rocket blower, spare battery and SD card. lcd protectors are up to you if you want/like them or not - they're inexpensive.
Your Pentax SLR lenses will of course work on the Kx..
The DAL models don't have 'quick shift', while the DA models do. Quick shift allows you to grab the focus and adjust it manually even with the camera in an AF mode without needing to move the switch on the camera body - I like this quite a bit, but others may not
10-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Excellent. Thanks rtpguy. I'm under the impression (wrong?) that he K-x (to me the KX is a film camera) uses AA batteries? Does it have another option? As for the SD card, I'm looking at the Eye-Fi?
I'll look into the DAL vs DA. Thanks.
10-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes do get an lcd protector, I take good care of my gear but accidents do happen. Get Eneloop batteries and a La Crosse battery charger, dont waste your time and money with inferior batteries. A rocket blower as stated above. I would pass on the 50-200 and get the DA 55-300 which has more reach and is said to be a better lens optically. The DA model is worth the extra $100 you get a metal mount, hood, pouch and quick shift which was real helpful (as stated above) in the copy of lens that I tried since the copy I tried out was hunting in certain situations.

10-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ruffinit Quote
Excellent. Thanks rtpguy. I'm under the impression (wrong?) that he K-x (to me the KX is a film camera) uses AA batteries? Does it have another option? As for the SD card, I'm looking at the Eye-Fi?
I'll look into the DAL vs DA. Thanks.
The kx only takes AA batteries.
10-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Roob-N-Boots Quote
I would pass on the 50-200 and get the DA 55-300 which has more reach and is said to be a better lens optically.
+1 to that. As for batteries, Sanyo Eneloops are very popular around here as a reliable rechargeable AA for the K-x, K-r.
10-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
heres my suggestion

1 ENELOOP battery
highly recommended. it would be like having a lithium ion its that good. get 8
2 DAL or DA 55-300
much better than 55-200. practice a lot on it and soon youll get very sharp images from it.
3 LIGHTROOM 3
highly recommended. tell wife to shoot RAW. the fun should not stop at just taking pictures. youll get addicted to using this software once you get a feel for it. then your wife gona wanna take more pictures n leave you alone. not sure if thats a good thing.
4 SIGMA 30mm 1.4
youll dump the kit lens. trust me.

**then once she gets really good at this, shes gonna want you to buy her the K-5 OR ELSE!!!!

Last edited by varyabol; 10-20-2011 at 01:10 PM.
10-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd drop the $5 or so for a cheap remote off of eBay or from some other source. It'll come in incredibly handy in certain situations.

10-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
Your Pentax SLR lenses will of course work on the Kx..
The DAL models don't have 'quick shift', while the DA models do. Quick shift allows you to grab the focus and adjust it manually even with the camera in an AF mode without needing to move the switch on the camera body - I like this quite a bit, but others may not
If you only have Pentax lenses, nothing to worry about. If you however have a lens with the dreaded Ricoh pin, it might get stuck on the body. Do some research here.

I'm in favour of the DA version of the lens; lenshood and quickshift are two reasons, the missing distance scale on the DA-L version is another one.
10-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks all.
I'll do some further research on the 55-300. The biggest issue is weight and size compared to the 50-200. Thanks for the DAL vs DA tip. I have a couple autofocus cameras that will hunt from time to time and the autoshift would be a nice feature.
I have looked into the remotes and at <$5, that's a great suggestion.
I've heard of LightRoom and will research also.. seems like cheating to me (we don't do that in film).
I looked into the battery tip. Hadn't expected $70 for a battery setup, but looks like it's worth it.

ALL my lenses are K bayonnet (Pentax), as are all but one of my SLRs. (7 Pentax, 1 Minolta 7000)

How about cases? Any of them stand out? I may let her pick one out herself.. the lady knows what she likes.. But there are a lot of cases out there.
10-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I have the navy blue K-x myself - I'm a big fan of the colour, its just different enough to stand out, but not so bright to be garish.

I have several small - medium size bags, but the item I use most is the Crumpler Small Haven. You can just squeeze in the K-x with the 18-55DA L mounted and have room for the 55-300 DA L (Lens hoods for both will likely not fit in this bag however). I have found I use it most, as when I travel it goes into my general purpose bag and takes up very little room. Around town and when I go out with friends and family it - and the gear inside it - gets tossed in the car.

Another item I use extensively is the Black Rapid strap. If I'm out for a walk, I like this over bringing a bag, as I will generally just go out with a single lens. I find the across the shoulder strap far more comfortable than around the neck strap for any duration of a walk.

The brands I mention are fine, but I imagine that similar products from other manufacturers would also be fine. There are no specific features that stand out for me, in both cases it was the simple functionality I was looking for.
10-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
For similar reasons I also like the Navy Blue color.
Two very fine products. Hadn't seen either of them before. Thanks for the tip.
10-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ruffinit Quote
I've heard of LightRoom and will research also.. seems like cheating to me (we don't do that in film).
Sure tou do, unless you leave the film undeveloped in the canister. the moment you develop those negatives, you are doing all sorts of processing on it that pretty much exactly correspond to the sorts of things LR does. It's just that you presumably left that to the professionals, or the automatic algorithms used in the computerized machines, at the lab that developers your film and produced the prints. With digital. it's easier to take that control. But if if it wasn't cheating to let a photo labl process your film, it's not cheating for you to do the same with your digital pictures, and indeed, it would be a huge step backward to not do so. That would be like giving your film to a blind person to process. Even the automated machines do some sorts of adjustments to your images normally.
10-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The lady needs a tripod for those long night-time exposures...
10-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Marc - Touche'. I was shooting some B&W this morning at dawn and was thinking about this very thing..
Dave - I really don't anticipate her getting into it that far, but I could be wrong. I was surprised at her request for a dSLR. I have an assortment of tripods though.