Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Exposure in manual for K10D

When I set my exposure in manual, then take a photograph, the camera resets the f/stop at something different. Consequently, I have to re-set it to the preferred f/stop. Does anyone know how I can maintain the same f/stop until I want to change it?

12-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you change modes in between shots? I'm guessing you don't and so this point won't help you, but if you change to Av after then back to M, usually it will set the Av setting to whatever it was in Av mode. The other thing I can think of is if you pushed the exposure lock, that only works for one shot. If neither of those help then I don't know what it is, sorry.
12-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timamcd Quote
When I set my exposure in manual, then take a photograph, the camera resets the f/stop at something different. Consequently, I have to re-set it to the preferred f/stop. Does anyone know how I can maintain the same f/stop until I want to change it?
I noticed this too, but found out it seems that if you accidentally hit the green button, it resets it to program exposure of some sort. Least I think thats what is going on, I haven't been able to reproduce it ever since I altered some of the custom settings.
12-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Exposure in manual for K10D

Thanks. You're correct. It happens without my changing mode from manual to AV. It's kind of a pain, having to re-check and re-set the f/stop.

12-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
I noticed this too, but found out it seems that if you accidentally hit the green button, it resets it to program exposure of some sort. Least I think thats what is going on, I haven't been able to reproduce it ever since I altered some of the custom settings.
That could be it. I often use the green button after I set the f/stop to come close to the correct shutter speed. I'll try it without using the green button and see if that works. Thanks.
12-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I think the answer to this is in Menu > custom setting > auto EV compensation: try to turn it off.
12-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luxart Quote
I think the answer to this is in Menu > custom setting > auto EV compensation: try to turn it off.
Normally that seems turned off by default. Though if you are in a priority mode, what sense does it make for the camera to take over? Wouldn't that be "P" or Auto mode?

12-11-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Yeah, I've hit the green button by accident while in M mode (my preferred mode for flash). Kinda of a pain because it sets the shutter speed to something REALLY slow when I want to keep it close to the X-sync speed. I guess that's what the X-mode is for
12-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hitting the green button in manual mode sets aperture and shutter, or only aperture or only shutter (depending on the setting in the custom menu). You are still in manual mode and can change aperture and shutter to whatever you want. The K10D keeps the settings between the shots - hey, it even does this in Program mode if one has set aperture there.. aperture is retained between shots. (or shutter if one has set the shutter there).

If your K10D does not do this, then something is not right.
Perhaps you are hitting the green button.
Perhaps Auto EV compensation is set to ON (if this is ON, the camera overrides your settings if you have set a combination that is beyond what the light meter can work with).
12-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Yeah, I've hit the green button by accident while in M mode (my preferred mode for flash). Kinda of a pain because it sets the shutter speed to something REALLY slow when I want to keep it close to the X-sync speed. I guess that's what the X-mode is for
Hitting the green button is like an instant switching to P without leaving M mode.
In auto-mode with flahs, the camera is in slow-sync flash mode - meaning it favours slow shutter speeds so that it can capture more ambient light in the scene and giving a more natural and balanced look to the image.
12-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
Using an A or later lens, pressing the green button by the shutter sets the exposure to the program line. Earlier lenses will set the shutter speed to the Av exposure for the mounted lens wide open.
12-12-2007, 03:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Using an A or later lens, pressing the green button by the shutter sets the exposure to the program line. Earlier lenses will set the shutter speed to the Av exposure for the mounted lens wide open.
RMabo had it most accurately, the green button on the K10D is programmable for how you want it to function, it can follow a program line, or be set like shutter priority or like apature priority.

The first will be based upon lens data, the second , if you select it will be useable with automatic lenses and set apature assuming you want to keep the shutter speed where it is, the third for non automatic (no A setting on the apature rring) lenses, or if you wish to pick depth of field specifically, and will set the shutter for the apature. I have proposed to pentax to give a 4th setting, specifically to take a reading and show only over/under exposure but not change anything. No response yet