Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2011, 06:44 AM   #1

Old Pentax Lenses on new DSLR

Dear Experts,

First of all, thanks a lot for your help.

My dad has an old Pentax ME with a few lenses. I'm planning to get my first DSLR and was wondering if I could use his lenses in the new camera. The lenses he has are:

- SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50 mm
- SMC Pentax-M 1:2.8 28mm
- SMC Pentax-M 1:4.5 80mm-200mm

Can I use them with a new DSLR? If so, does it need to be a Pentax or any other brand? Will I need any type of adapter? I guess AF will not work?
If there's already a post for this, kindly point me to it, as I was not able to find it.
Thank you in advance for your help!!

Regards,

Fernando

10-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can use any lens ever made for Pentax on a Pentax DSLR,
These will work fine (though fully manual no auto feature)

the Following threads will be of use to you once you are ready to start

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/49283-useful-pe...ces-about.html

if you want to see what kind of performance the lenses you have can give see

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/27739-m-club.html

which is now 189 pages plus of pics and comments
10-21-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The post linked above does a good job of explaining how to use the lenses. With only a few added steps, you'll be enjoying the old, quality glass
10-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

No expertize required to use any Pentax lens on a new Pentax DSLR... One of the best "features" of Pentax.

Obviously you will be running in full manual (Focus and Aperture) with these lenses, so it will not be point and shoot. But the green button makes exposure very easy.

PS: the M-50mm is a real gem from my experience, and the M-28mm seems very good to. M-50 on extension tube makes a nice macro lens as well.

10-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just to be complete, while obviously selecting a pentax body is logical and the lenses work well there are other options out there.

Canon, for example, due to the very large lens throat and shorter register distance can accept pentax lenses uwsing an adaptor

Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter with Dandelion AF Focus Confirmation Chip Pentax K/PK to Canon Eos Camera Adapter Fits Canon Eos 7D 20d 30d 40D 50D 60D Digital Rebel XT xti XS Xsi T1i t2it3 t3i300D 350D 400D 450D 500D 550D 600D 1100D1000D

there are similar adaptors for PK to any 4/3 system camera, as well as adaptors with optical correction for infinity focus to use on Sony and Nikon DSLRs (although with typically 1.4x magnification.

it's your choise, however many of the other brands will not meter AT ALL so shooting is trial and error, as opposed to pentax being able to perform some form of metering with any lens you can stick on the front/
10-22-2011, 02:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Assuming you end up with one of Pentax's DSLRs, there's one more thing you'll need to know:

It concerns the 80-200mm zoom lens: the DSLR needs to know the actual focal length before it can employ the in-body Shake Reduction mechanism. At power-up, if you have an older lens mounted, the camera will prompt you for the focal length (there's no need with a modern lens, as it will already have that information); obviously, this is dead straightforward for your 50mm and 28mm lenses.

For a vintage zoom lens, unless you want to keep changing the value you input to match the zoom setting, you'll need a "compromise" value. Best compromise here is 100mm; this will allow you ro operate at whatever focal length you fancy, and you'll still get very useful shake reduction even if you're set at 80mm or 200mm (obviously, you get maximum SR at 100mm).

Whatever you do, make sure you don't set the value to something like 200mm, and then operate at 80mm - you'll magnify any camera shake!

Or, of course, you have the option of switching SR off, but that would be a pity, as in-body SR is one of the (many!) attractions of owning a Pentax DSLR.
11-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your help!
From what I've read, I suppose a Nikon body won't be able to take the lenses...is that correct? I'm mostly thinking about getting the D5100...any suggestions in case any adapter could be used?

Thanks again!

11-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

k mount to Nikon will require additional optics. there are adapters (fotodiox for instance) but they degrade the image by using the additional element. if you re,move the element then your lenses will not focus to infinity and if i'm not mistaken will be more like a mini macro
The KR with it's kit lens is easily a rival for the D5100 at a lower price BTW (and with what is considered a better kit zoom optically)
Old Nikon glass will also not work with the D5100 (pre AI) you would need to get a D7000 for that
Pre AI glass will work on pentax pretty much without an adapter from what i understand (though it won't lock in place without the judicious use of a dull dremel)
11-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't try to adapt the lenses to a Nikon, for the reasons already given. A big advantage of the Pentax is also the in-body shake reduction, so that it works with the old lenses. I've used all three of your model lenses on my K-5, and the 50 1.7 especially gives good results. However, none of today's dSLRs are as easy to manually focus (and judge the focus visually) as the ME was. Because of autofocus, today's screens try to get best brightness, and lose some ability to visually judge focus. Pentax will give an indiacation of "focus lock" when it thinks it is in focus, but it isn't always optimum; especially with faster lenses. I find the flashing and beeping focus lock indicator more of a nuisance than a help.
Even on the 80s film cameras they offered special focusing screens with different microprism angles for very fast lenses, and I don't know of any made for Pentax today.
11-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

there are a lot of alternate focusing screens Tom

just nothing from pentax themselves with split prism.
the big three suppliers are in order of increasing price
Jin Finance on ebay
focusingscreen.com
Katzeye

I use a screen from focusingscreen.com and it works quite well
some people swear by the katzeyes (i find them too pricey unless you want optibrite in which case they are the only choice)

many of them are reviewed here as well

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/category-Viewfinders-and-Screens.html
11-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
there are a lot of alternate focusing screens Tom
Thanks for the info and the link. My favorite screen has always been plain ground glass, as it has no distractions and shows DOF well, even if dim. I think perhaps the focusingscreens.com super precision matte would work well for me, so I'll give it a try.
12-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #12

Original Poster
Dear All,

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm now a proud owner of a K-5 and enjoying the M lenses each time I can.

Take care!
12-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ferhlopez Quote
Dear All,

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm now a proud owner of a K-5 and enjoying the M lenses each time I can.

Take care!
good for you, but bad for those who drooled over your lenses

I hope you got the kit lens as well to give some AF capability and cover the wide angle better.
12-08-2011, 12:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Dear Experts,

First of all, thanks a lot for your help.

My dad has an old Pentax ME with a few lenses. I'm planning to get my first DSLR and was wondering if I could use his lenses in the new camera. The lenses he has are:

- SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50 mm
- SMC Pentax-M 1:2.8 28mm
- SMC Pentax-M 1:4.5 80mm-200mm

Can I use them with a new DSLR? If so, does it need to be a Pentax or any other brand? Will I need any type of adapter? I guess AF will not work?
If there's already a post for this, kindly point me to it, as I was not able to find it.
Thank you in advance for your help!!

Regards,

Fernando
yes you can use them perfectly on any new Pentax DSLR. No need for adapters, but they don't have AF - the M series is full manual. Mounting them on other bodies yes you would need adapters, and will still have no AF.
12-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Dear All,

Take care!
Congrats and enjoy.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
yes you can use them perfectly on any new Pentax DSLR. No need for adapters, but they don't have AF - the M series is full manual. Mounting them on other bodies yes you would need adapters, and will still have no AF.
I think ferhlopez figured it out two days ago