Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
What is your favorite photography magazine?

In keeping with the topic "What is your favorite book on photography".

What is your favorite magazine on or about photography?. Include the title, your reason, and, if you have it, a link to the magazine's web site.

Thanks

PS

I am an English speaker, but I am interested in good photographic magazines written in other languages. For obvious reasons, they do not appear at my local newsagent.

10-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only get Shutterbug as a regular read. I will look at some of the others on occasion in a store and will only purchase it if there is an article that interests me. Around here, photo magazines are getting hard to find in most stores.
Shutterbug Home | Shutterbug
10-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Outdoor Photographer is pretty good
10-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm a fan of News Photographer Magazine.

NPPA: News Photographer Magazine

10-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I like black & white photography and B&W magazine. Bioth are very good if you are into B&W photography. To me Black and White has the edge over B&W
10-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I, too, enjoy picking up B&W magazine every once in awhile. More expensive than most magazines, but they're like books of fine art photography. They work well on the coffee table as most visitors will peek through it, too.
10-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #7

Digital Photography, Digital Cameras & Photographers | Photo Answers

I enjoy a British magazine called "Digital Photo", not to be confused with the American mag with a similar name. The website is photoanswers.co.uk. Packed full of good stuff for amateurs, may not appeal to pros. It is presented in a fun interesting manner ( they are not full of themselves ).

10-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Favorite Photo Mag

I enjoy Amateur Photographer for the pictures - honest - but my favorites by far are Lens Work and View Camera.
10-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This needs to get moved. To "general" or" everything else".
10-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Always a wannabee moderator in the wings. I'd probably go with Photolife or Outdoor Photographer. Photoife getting the edge because it's Canadian. Outdoor Photographer tends to feature locations I'll never get to. But, I pick them both up off the news stands if they interest me. I haven't found a magazine that's good enough to want delivered to my house every month.
10-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the price of an annual magazine subscription you can pick up 3 - 4 or more excellent used books that offer far more useful information, won't be 2/3's advertising and that won't be discarded within hours of arrival.

Check Amazon's used book listings.

H2
10-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The Guide To Advanced Photography Technology And Creativity | DigitalPhotoPro.com | DigitalPhotoPro.com

see for yourself why i like this magazine.
10-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #13
NKK
Inactive Account

I get shutterbug every month through zinio.com.
It works fine for me, and i have my digital library so i can find earlier magazines etc
I allso think the the price is ok.
10-22-2011, 02:40 AM   #14

I get Photgraphy Monthly in the UK but they just seem to showcase pros now instead of giving 'real world' advice and results of long term tests.

Bill
10-22-2011, 05:57 AM   #15
CDW
Site Supporter

I visit most of the forums and subscribe to Outdoor Photographer and Shutterbug. I find Outdoor Photographer to be getting even more lame than it was before Rob Shepperd left as managing editor. It is filled with the same names month after month and the actual print quality of imagery is very disappointing. Everything is oversharpened, even for print, and it's no Nat Geo by any means. I told my wife not to renew my subscription. Shutterbug seldom has much of interest to me as a landscape/nature photographer but I'm sure it appeals to wedding and studio photogs but I prefer the technical reviews in Popular Photography, as print reviews go. But they don't compare to the reviews online from DPReview and others.