Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K-7 quick question

Hello i have a question if you guys dont mind addressing. I have a Pentax K-7 and when i turn it on, it is not attached to any lens, on the lcd screen at the top it says MF, should it be desplaying this since the camera is not on MF its on AF.S. Shouldn't it be saying AF.S? Even when i change it to C. mode it still displays M.F. mode on the top right corner on the lcd, is this due to the fact that a lens in not attached to it so it just displayes MF mode or is something wrong with it? Can someone please confirm to me if this is what the camera does when it is not attached to the lens, it just stays in MF, even if one tries to change to AF.S or C. Thank you for your time and help.

10-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope it's normal- it says MF unless it detects an AF lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup, like Adam says, nothing wrong with it. By the way, I always have a lens on the camera.
10-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank You

So it is completely normal, for the camera to be indicating M.F. mode, since t cannot detect any lens, nothing making any contact with it, makes sense Thank you for the help.

10-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also unless you are doing it for cleaning, as I understand it is not a good idea to turn on the camera with no lens attached as an energized sensor will attract dust.
10-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Another question, Does SR (Shake Reduction) work when there is no LENS attached to the camera? On my camera i cant enable SR, is this because no Lens is attached to the camera ? Or SR should be able to enable and function even without lens attached to the camera? Thank you.
10-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On my K-5 and K-x the SR function indicator does turn on without a lens attached. If you have the camera on certain drive modes SR disables automatically. Make sure the drive mode is single or continuous shot, and not one of the timer or remote modes.

10-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by A.M.92 Quote
Another question, Does SR (Shake Reduction) work when there is no LENS attached to the camera? On my camera i cant enable SR, is this because no Lens is attached to the camera ? Or SR should be able to enable and function even without lens attached to the camera? Thank you.
K10D & K20D: SR on without lens attached to camera.

K7 (I think also K5): SR not on unless a lens attached (and the flange of the lens is conductive).

To verify, turn on the camera with no lens. K10D & K20D ask for focal length. K7 (and probably K5) does not.
10-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-5 does ask for focal lens and SR shows active with no lens.
10-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
K10D & K20D: SR on without lens attached to camera.

K7 (I think also K5): SR not on unless a lens attached (and the flange of the lens is conductive).

To verify, turn on the camera with no lens. K10D & K20D ask for focal length. K7 (and probably K5) does not.
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
K-5 does ask for focal lens and SR shows active with no lens.
Actually, the difference is whether or not you have "Using Aperture Ring" set to "Permitted" or "Prohibited" in the custom menu. If it is set to the factory default of "Prohibited", as it was in the OP's case, then the camera will not ask for a focal length nor will SR be active when no lens is attached. If you set it to "Permitted", as most of us likely have it set, then the camera will ask for a focal length and allow SR to be active. I suppose this is because when set to "Permitted" you are telling the camera that you want to be able to use SR even if the camera can't sense a mounted lens.
10-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Actually, the difference is whether or not you have "Using Aperture Ring" set to "Permitted" or "Prohibited" in the custom menu.
Dan, bringing sense to the proceedings since 19xx