Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Can't help myself laughing at faulty new N****n D300's

Hi everyone

I was casually trawling the internet looking to see precisely what the 'opposition' had to offer, when I discovered this amusing little gem on a blog:

QuoteQuote:
I too was thrilled about receiving my Nikon D300. Was being the key word. Unfortunately, myself AND others, have acquired the D300 with a faulty auto focus. The camera is unable to focus on its own. Nikon has said that I can ship it back (at my cost), they will REPAIR the camera AND I might receive it -fixed-in about one to two months. Needless to say, this does not make me happy. I am an avid Nikon user and obviously a fan; however, I am stunned about the customer service on this “new” product.
So it seems that the 'grass is not always greener on the other side' !!! What actually made me smile most was this priceless fragment:

QuoteQuote:
The camera is unable to focus on its own.
Does the D300 actually require a nursemaid to hold it's hand while it thinks about what it might do next ?......Oh diddums, who's a naughty recalcitrant overpriced piece of technological junk .....lol. Ah, I can't seem to prevent a certain overwhelming sense of 'schadenfreude' from welling-up inside me.......so what price the K10D's imminent replacement ?

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 12-11-2007 at 05:09 PM.
12-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hrm, kind of like when the Canon 1D Mk III was released, that too had faulty autofocus. It was however shortly fixed afterwards. Nikon has a habit of releasing products sooner than they should be, but least they eventually sort it out. Also traditionally difficult when it comes to fulfilling stock.

But this is one of the reason why I don't base so much opinion on a product til its been out in consumers hands for least six months. I prefer to let everyone else be the guinea pig, til they sort things out. 90% of the time its software/firmware related.

Though question... where is the link to the blog? I'm googling and I'm not finding anything other than a single thread on dpreview's forum about how the manually focusing with focus screen isn't matching the autofocus (basically sounds like the focus screen is off by a few milimeters).
12-11-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Karl (kb244)

I completely agree with your sentiments that:

QuoteQuote:
I prefer to let everyone else be the guinea pig, til they sort things out.
Try this link:

Terry White’s Tech Blog Nikon D300 Review - first impressions

and then scroll down a little until you reach Monique's response:

Best regards
Richard
12-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks though it seems everything you commented in the original post was based on a commenter's contribution. While it does raise some questions bout the D300 possible issue, it doesn't hold as much weight in credibility as the primary blogger's review (which in itself probably adds no credibility, but its not quite as anonymous as 'Monique').

I'll relay the possible issue with others i know in other forums, and see if they express the same issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Karl (kb244)

I completely agree with your sentiments that:

Try this link:

and then scroll down a little until you reach Monique's response:

Best regards
Richard

12-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi kb244

Absolutely, but notice she said:

QuoteQuote:
myself AND others
So it's clearly not just a one-off !

Best regards
Richard
12-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd like to see the camera companies release a beta version to their pro photographers first to work most of the bugs out

You can be assured that even 20 professional photographers would find 99% of the problems within a couple of weeks

That way when it reaches the consumer you just know that everyone would be happy with their produce right out of the box, and they'd have substantially fewer warranty repairs.

To me it seems like a Win - Win situation.
12-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
Hrm, kind of like when the Canon 1D Mk III was released, that too had faulty autofocus. It was however shortly fixed afterwards. Nikon has a habit of releasing products sooner than they should be, but least they eventually sort it out. Also traditionally difficult when it comes to fulfilling stock.

But this is one of the reason why I don't base so much opinion on a product til its been out in consumers hands for least six months. I prefer to let everyone else be the guinea pig, til they sort things out. 90% of the time its software/firmware related.

Though question... where is the link to the blog? I'm googling and I'm not finding anything other than a single thread on dpreview's forum about how the manually focusing with focus screen isn't matching the autofocus (basically sounds like the focus screen is off by a few milimeters).
They recalled more than 4,500 Mk III's according to Chasseur d'Images.

12-11-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I played with a friends D300. I have never tinkered with a Nikon but I must say I really liked it. I would never switch but it was cool. He mentioned some issue with focusing but was corrected after he did something. I forget. But agree Much better to let others figure it out first. But of course I would line up first if I had the cash for any new Pentax
12-11-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
Hrm, kind of like when the Canon 1D Mk III was released, that too had faulty autofocus. It was however shortly fixed afterwards.
Yea RIIIIIIGHT.......
Rob Galbraith DPI: December 10 update
SOME think it's not reallly fixed YET........June 19th to now....
AND not really addressed till Oct. "In an interview two weeks ago, Chuck Westfall, Canon USA's Director of Media and Customer Relationship, indicated to us that they were targeting the end of October for the posting of repair details on Canon USA's website for U.S. owners of the EOS-1D Mark III. While the month of October is all but gone, Canon Australia's and Canon Korea's postings today suggest we won't have to wait long into the month of November for announcements to pop up on most or all of Canon's websites worldwide, including Canon USA."
In all fairness it has finally been errr... buffered...
12-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi kb244

Absolutely, but notice she said:

So it's clearly not just a one-off !

Best regards
Richard

Based on someone known no other than simply 'Monique'. In the other forum, no one thus far has reported any similar issues, nor have anything shows up on google search of the issue.

I just think its somewhat premature (and somewhat childish) to immediately bash the brand based on one persons's account with no confirmable credibility or other accounts to back it up. The first thing some of us do when we have a problem, especially when complaining on the web is to mention that others have been having the same problem, since theres perceived credibility in numbers.

So far as we can tell at this point, it may be merely an isolated incident, or even perhaps operator error.
12-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Yea RIIIIIIGHT.......
Rob Galbraith DPI: December 10 update
SOME think it's not reallly fixed YET........June 19th to now....
AND not really addressed till Oct. "In an interview two weeks ago, Chuck Westfall, Canon USA's Director of Media and Customer Relationship, indicated to us that they were targeting the end of October for the posting of repair details on Canon USA's website for U.S. owners of the EOS-1D Mark III. While the month of October is all but gone, Canon Australia's and Canon Korea's postings today suggest we won't have to wait long into the month of November for announcements to pop up on most or all of Canon's websites worldwide, including Canon USA."
In all fairness it has finally been errr... buffered...
It has been fixed (even if it took em a couple months), yes?
12-11-2007, 07:38 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Aw, c'mon Karl (kb244), where's your sense of fun, so lighten up a little. It's always good to have an occasional laugh and prove that even the 'biggest' corporations can screw up royally with the best of 'em !....lol

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 12-12-2007 at 08:52 AM.
12-11-2007, 07:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just another reason to keep in mind the old software maxim - never buy Ver 1.0!!
12-12-2007, 06:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Just another reason to keep in mind the old software maxim - never buy Ver 1.0!!
And thats my mantra now.

All goes back to when i bought my Nikon D2H hot off the presses. After +- 6000 shutters, the AE board went for a crapper, no AF no metering, nothing. I took it to Nikon Canada and they said no problem to fix it. I mentioned i had heard this was a common problem. I was assured by the service assistant manager that there have been a few but nothing to speak of.(it only took a week to get it back. He thought since i owned a pro body i must be a pro. I said nothing)

A few weeks later, Nikon had posted on their website that ALL AE board malfunctions would be repaired at their expence. It was more wide spread than the service guy told me, but i'm sure he knew that. Three more trips to service, twice for metering issues and once for a broken shutter. All that with under 10,000 shutters.

Having said that, don't forget the snags the istD had. Pop up flash problems, full batteries showing empty etc.

They all have problems, after all its a computer with a lens, is'nt it. How many of us have never had computer problems.

Dave

Dave
12-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I avoid laughing too hard at other's new models launch (D300 AF probs, 1DMk3 continuous AF, A700 mushy high ISO)... I prefer to save some for when the KxxD will arrive...

I just can't wait for the flurry of post going like:

"My new KxxD isn't as sharp as my 99$ P&S! (especially in the background with my 50@f1.4)"

"All my pictures are tack sharp: do I have simultaneous back and front focus issues??!!"

"KxxD fatal flaw: it spilled coffe on me!"

"ISO 6400 sux on the KxxD (underexposed by at least 2 stops pics in reply)"

"I've been waiting for two days for the KxxD to take a good picture without success!! Should I open the box or just return it?"

Aaaahhhh! I just can't wait for next june!