Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2007, 09:41 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote

"I've been waiting for two days for the KxxD to take a good picture without success!! Should I open the box or just return it?"
Good line, that one!

12-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
Based on someone known no other than simply 'Monique'. In the other forum, no one thus far has reported any similar issues, nor have anything shows up on google search of the issue.

I just think its somewhat premature (and somewhat childish) to immediately bash the brand based on one persons's account with no confirmable credibility or other accounts to back it up. The first thing some of us do when we have a problem, especially when complaining on the web is to mention that others have been having the same problem, since theres perceived credibility in numbers.

So far as we can tell at this point, it may be merely an isolated incident, or even perhaps operator error.
D300 Autofocus ? (posts re problems): Nikon D300/D200/D100 Forum: Digital Photography Review
Is that enough? or is it still an unreliable source?
12-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't help myself wondering why you'd laugh at other people's misfortune simply because they bought another brand of camera.
12-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
I avoid laughing too hard at other's new models launch (D300 AF probs, 1DMk3 continuous AF, A700 mushy high ISO)... I prefer to save some for when the KxxD will arrive...

I just can't wait for the flurry of post going like:

"My new KxxD isn't as sharp as my 99$ P&S! (especially in the background with my 50@f1.4)"

"All my pictures are tack sharp: do I have simultaneous back and front focus issues??!!"

"KxxD fatal flaw: it spilled coffe on me!"

"ISO 6400 sux on the KxxD (underexposed by at least 2 stops pics in reply)"

"I've been waiting for two days for the KxxD to take a good picture without success!! Should I open the box or just return it?"

Aaaahhhh! I just can't wait for next june!

Oh...I didn't know that. I thought it was the camera not the person that takes a "Good" picture. Why is it that I often hear.."Hey that camera takes good 'pitchers'"

Ben

12-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi RBellavance

Re your observation that:

QuoteQuote:
simply because they bought another brand of camera
......has a certain irony to it all. Now let's see, I considered C****n's & N****n's overhyped offerings & rejected them, Sonolta's stuff doesn't quite cut the mustard and as for Olympus's 4/3rd's system, well the less said the better.
Make mental note: award oneself extra brownie-points for making the right decision in the first place !
In all honesty at the price point that N****n chose to pitch their shiny-new D300, I would have naively expected flawless reliability and perhaps justifiably even more so from C****n's EOS-1D Mark III, especially taking into account the exalted echelon in which these cameras circulate.
I reckon that the enormous pressure in the factories to produce sufficient quantities to satisfy pre-orders, whilst getting additional product onto retailers shelves just in time for the Christmas bonanza might have had an undesirable knock-on effect concerning lax quality control issues. I was genuinely shocked at the inexcusable *response this unfortunate customer received from Nikon (*which is what made me laugh, not her bad luck) and it doesn't exactly endear confidence in the brand, if the information in the initial post is to be believed !

QuoteQuote:
Nikon has said that I can ship it back (at my cost), they will REPAIR the camera AND I might receive it -fixed-in about one to two months. Needless to say, this does not make me happy.
And here's another occurrence:
QuoteQuote:
Bah. Just got my D300 from B&H and nothing I could do got the focus to work. Naturally, B&H is out of D300's, so it is going back for a refund until they can get in some more. Nikon Service had never even heard of the problem and had no suggestions on how to fix it. Just my luck, and it was going to be an Xmas present.
I still have to pinch myself when I realise what amazing value Pentax's sturdy K10D currently offers at the price it sells for, even over here in 'rip-off' Euroland. IMHO digital photographers (particularly in the USA) have simply never had it so good 'deal-wise', so if I were you I'd grab 'em while you can !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 12-12-2007 at 01:09 PM.
12-12-2007, 01:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote

I still have to pinch myself when I realise what amazing value Pentax's sturdy K10D currently offers at the price it sells for, even over here in 'rip-off' Euroland. IMHO digital photographers (particularly in the USA) have simply never had it so good 'deal-wise', so if I were you I'd grab 'em while you can !

Best regards
Richard
You must not have heard the K10D jpgs are soft.

Dave
12-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Dave

Oh not THAT old chestnut again !!!!! Dear G*d, this subject has been beaten to within an inch of it's life already.
Sorry, but I'm afraid I'm not biting this time ! Get thee to a good optician....!

Best regards
Richard

12-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Sorry, I don't get the point here, unless it's just a break from work so we can pat ourselves on the back for having the good sense to buy Pentax rather than Nikon. Yeah, I feel good. I would not want one of those nasty Canon 5Ds or that lousy Nikon D3 thingy! Except that, to be honest, I would love to have either one, if money were no object. I'd like to get a Leica M8, too, as soon as I win the lottery.

Is the focusing problem with the D300 widespread? I've read an awful lot of reviews of the camera and nobody has mentioned a focusing problem. I assume that Nikon didn't design, test and release a camera that doesn't auto-focus at all.

I had a problem with a Pentax AF 540 FGZ flash. It was nearly new, only used a couple of times, and the zoom motor broke. I started a thread on it here and discovered that others have had the problem, too. Had to send it to Pentax (on my dime) and wait a month to get it back. What's the moral here? That Pentax sucks? I don't think so. Apparently there is a design weakness in the 540, but fortunately it doesn't affect the majority of users. C'est la vie.I wasn't ticked that it broke as much as I was that it took a month to get it repaired.

Mass-produced products will have quality control problems, until the end of time. If you assign a team of people to test and test thoroughly every single item that comes off the assembly line, well, then it's no longer mass produced and even a K10D will cost $5000.

Will
12-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Will

I'd also love a full-frame DSLR, but only on three conditions:

a) It doesn't weigh an absolute ton, like the present 5D/1Ds Mk II or D3 does
b) It's no bigger/bulkier and handles as ergonomically brilliantly as my present K10D
c) It's affordable for mere mortals !

Otherwise, I'm really not interested !

As for your other point:

QuoteQuote:
We can pat ourselves on the back for having the good sense to buy Pentax rather than Nikon.
Allelujah, I'm with you on THAT one all the way......Yesiree !!

Best regards
Richard
12-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote

Now let's see, I considered C****n's & N****n's overhyped offerings & rejected them, Sonolta's stuff doesn't quite cut the mustard and as for Olympus's 4/3rd's system, well the less said the better.
Make mental note: award oneself extra brownie-points for making the right decision in the first place !
[Flame Mode]

I'm glad you take such pleasure in the mis-fortune of others. So you think its funny that someone bought an $1800 camera that was defective and needs repair? Yea, that's really funny. I'll bet your idea of a good time is to go down to the local auto repair shop and laugh at all those poor saps who have to take their car in for repair. That's a real knee-slapper! Recently I bought a new iPod for my wife as a present and it was DOA out of the box. I took it back to the store and exchanged it. And everyone at the return counter was just laughing at me for being such a stupid idiot. I should have known better than to have bought an inferior defective product.

It's just wonderful that no-one has ever bought a defective Pentax product and had to return it or send it in for repair. And I am quite impressed that you've never bought a defective product. Please award yourself some extra brownie points!!! It's inexcusable (and even laugh-able!) that the rest of us are just so stupid for having selected defective junk. I'll keep that in mind when shooting photographs at the upcoming soccer tournament that my son will playing in next week. I get shot after shot in perfect focus with my Nikon gear -- shots that would be difficult or impossible to get with current Pentax gear. I guess I don't get any brownie points but I do get predictive continuous AF and a choice of good long lenses with Silent Wave Motors. Personally I prefer good photographs over brownie points anyway.

Well, you got one thing right: your choice of a screen name.

[/Flame Mode]
12-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Oh...I didn't know that. I thought it was the camera not the person that takes a "Good" picture. Why is it that I often hear.."Hey that camera takes good 'pitchers'"

Ben
Ben,

Of course it's the camera that takes the picture!

I am profoundly convinced of that!

That's why any pro with a little bit of self respect needs a "pro cameras" that "gets the job done"! :ugh:
12-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Dear Gary

If you'd read what I ACTUALLY said:

QuoteQuote:
I was genuinely shocked at the inexcusable *response this unfortunate customer received from Nikon (*which is what made me laugh, not her bad luck).
.....I was specifically NOT laughing at her misfortune and would never dream of doing so, but pointing out the appalling manner in which she was dealt with by N****n !

Best regards
Richard
12-12-2007, 02:42 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by celetron Quote

Not any more credible than if we were posting information here on this forum.

But I don't find much humor in the brand bashing, everyone has a personal preference and it's only childish to laugh in the face of alternate brand buyer because their brand of choice made a mistake in a models' production.
12-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
It has been fixed (even if it took em a couple months), yes?
It's definitely been addressed, but fixed is questionable. They still claim situations where it doesn't work all that well.
12-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Lest we gloat that Pentax is problem free compared to the other makes, if I recall correctly, the K10D sensor had banding issues early on (a friend of mine had his sent back to Japan). So the moral of the story is try not to be an early adopter. You're quite likely going to be paying a premium for a product that might not have the bugs ironed out yet.