Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
It has been fixed (even if it took em a couple months), yes?
Did you read Mr. Galbreth's thread? In some instances it's still not as good as the MkII, so if going backwards is fixed then yes it's fixed........Sorry not attempting to brand bash, since all cameras have something we can nit-pick on but I found your post about being "expediently fixed" misleading and as stated if "lesser is better" than it is fixed....Finally after, what 5 months including a few months of "denial".... Actually Canon went the extra mile to work out the major bug and replace the sub-mirror assemblies so I give them a lot of credit for that, but like a car recall, it never leaves a good taste.
" But in our view, there’s more work to be done. In bright conditions, the EOS-1D Mark III still doesn’t match the EOS-1D Mark II N; at times the two are close, and at other times the EOS-1D Mark III's autofocus performance is below what we consider acceptable. The EOS-1D Mark III can autofocus much better outdoors on a warm, sunny day now than it could at the time of its introduction, though this is a reflection of how much room for improvement there was. There are also specific situations - mostly involving shooting indoors or in dimmer outdoor conditions - where its AI Servo autofocus is actually superior to the EOS-1D Mark II N.

Looking at all of what we've shot with the two camera models in recent weeks, however, the EOS-1D Mark II N is the one that has delivered the most in-focus frames. The culprit that continues to cramp the EOS-1D Mark III's autofocus style is bright sunlight."

An expanded explanation follows in the FAQ below."

So fixed it is

12-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I also don't agree about laughing because others aren't as "enlightened" to go with Pentax. It reeks of arrogance. Pride is good, but not arrogance.

Agreed with creampuff that the moral of the story is that to wait till the problems get ironed out before getting a product. Not only will one avoid the mad rush of frenzied buyers wanting the latest and the greatest, prices would also have stabilized and maybe even gone down a bit.

Remember, it could happen to the next Pentax models, too. It's already happened to some of the DA*s.
12-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #33

Brand bashing is just one of those things that happens when people get bored waiting for "the next thing" I guess.
12-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Lest we gloat that Pentax is problem free compared to the other makes, if I recall correctly, the K10D sensor had banding issues early on (a friend of mine had his sent back to Japan). So the moral of the story is try not to be an early adopter. You're quite likely going to be paying a premium for a product that might not have the bugs ironed out yet.
"Never buy the first year model of a new car", er, whatever.

12-13-2007, 07:18 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
I avoid laughing too hard at other's new models launch (D300 AF probs, 1DMk3 continuous AF, A700 mushy high ISO)... I prefer to save some for when the KxxD will arrive...

I just can't wait for the flurry of post going like:

"My new KxxD isn't as sharp as my 99$ P&S! (especially in the background with my 50@f1.4)"

"All my pictures are tack sharp: do I have simultaneous back and front focus issues??!!"

"KxxD fatal flaw: it spilled coffe on me!"

"ISO 6400 sux on the KxxD (underexposed by at least 2 stops pics in reply)"

"I've been waiting for two days for the KxxD to take a good picture without success!! Should I open the box or just return it?"

Aaaahhhh! I just can't wait for next june!
Your pseudonym does you justice!
12-13-2007, 07:26 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I'd like to see the camera companies release a beta version to their pro photographers first to work most of the bugs out

You can be assured that even 20 professional photographers would find 99% of the problems within a couple of weeks

That way when it reaches the consumer you just know that everyone would be happy with their produce right out of the box, and they'd have substantially fewer warranty repairs.

To me it seems like a Win - Win situation.
I believe that this is what Pentax is currently doing with the K20D isn't it?
12-13-2007, 07:45 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Yes, but Not as good, doesn't mean its still broken. Of course we 'expect' the new model to be as good or better than the previous, but maybe this is one of those cases where they made an oopsie, fixed what they could and the rest just isn't up to par. It's probably within specs for canon even if for the rest of us, are thinking 'you gota be kidding me...'.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Did you read Mr. Galbreth's thread? In some instances it's still not as good as the MkII, so if going backwards is fixed then yes it's fixed........Sorry not attempting to brand bash, since all cameras have something we can nit-pick on but I found your post about being "expediently fixed" misleading and as stated if "lesser is better" than it is fixed....Finally after, what 5 months including a few months of "denial".... Actually Canon went the extra mile to work out the major bug and replace the sub-mirror assemblies so I give them a lot of credit for that, but like a car recall, it never leaves a good taste.
" But in our view, there’s more work to be done. In bright conditions, the EOS-1D Mark III still doesn’t match the EOS-1D Mark II N; at times the two are close, and at other times the EOS-1D Mark III's autofocus performance is below what we consider acceptable. The EOS-1D Mark III can autofocus much better outdoors on a warm, sunny day now than it could at the time of its introduction, though this is a reflection of how much room for improvement there was. There are also specific situations - mostly involving shooting indoors or in dimmer outdoor conditions - where its AI Servo autofocus is actually superior to the EOS-1D Mark II N.

Looking at all of what we've shot with the two camera models in recent weeks, however, the EOS-1D Mark II N is the one that has delivered the most in-focus frames. The culprit that continues to cramp the EOS-1D Mark III's autofocus style is bright sunlight."

An expanded explanation follows in the FAQ below."

So fixed it is

12-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #38
graphicgr8s

If money were no object than count me in for a Hasselblad. (If your going to dream, dream BIG)
12-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #39
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi graphicgr8s

Nah, if you REALLY want BIG, try one of these......lol !!

Scanning Backs..How They Work

Best regards
Richard
12-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #40
graphicgr8s

Well since money is no object I'll just take both.
12-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
I believe that this is what Pentax is currently doing with the K20D isn't it?
Sure does seem that way
12-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #42
Inactive Account

Whoa!!! I'm learning that you really have to be careful what you write in these forums on the net. There are just so many differing ways in which people interpret what is written.

For example the OP of this thread to me is just laughing at the statement about a camera not focusing on its own - I get the joke.

Also it states quite clearly that the grass is not always greener on the other side - Read any forum and you will not find one where it is universally 100% accepted that their camera brand has no faults.

It is just amazing to me all the different reactions to something - perhaps often it is a cultural thing.

I was quite shocked when I ws banned from DPR for using a word that in Australia does not have quite the same meaning as when the word is used in England or other countries.

For example the word thong used by an Aussie has a very different meaning to when it is used by an American.

Perhaps sometimes we should look at what is written first and ask ourselves just what it is they are saying and try not to project our own emotions and interpretive biases to them.
12-14-2007, 09:56 PM   #43
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Falcons

Perhaps it's my typically black sense of humour, but I'm relieved to hear that you could also see the funny side of my
original post !

QuoteQuote:
Does the D300 actually require a nursemaid to hold it's hand while it thinks about what it might do next ?
As you clearly spotted:

QuoteQuote:
.....the OP of this thread to me is just laughing at the statement about a camera not focusing on its own - I get the joke.
I was rather taken aback by some of the unexpected vitriol coming my way, most of it totally unjustified, because some people hadn't taken the trouble to fully read the post and 'take it all humorously with a large pinch of salt' as intended. However, you can't win 'em all and as you so adroitly pointed out:
QuoteQuote:
It is just amazing to me all the different reactions to something - perhaps often it is a cultural thing.
What worried me most was how some 'contributors' seemed entirely willing to gloss over:

QuoteQuote:
the inexcusable *response this unfortunate customer received from Nikon
If I had been the recipient of that expensive spanking brand new but faulty DSLR, I would have politely informed
N****n's Head Office in no uncertain terms precisely what they could have done with it !

QuoteQuote:
Perhaps sometimes we should look at what is written first and ask ourselves just what it is they are saying and try not to project our own emotions and interpretive biases to them.
...and in conclusion, I utterly agree with every single word in that last sentence !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 12-14-2007 at 10:24 PM.