Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #16

My only issue with the K5 is identical to twitch's first paragraph - the size stops it from going everywhere with me.
I'd prefer a bigger sensor than the compact P&S, and while the micro 4/3rd cameras seem pretty solid trade-offs to me sensor-wise, adding lenses doesn't make them much smaller than the K5. Same with the Sony NEX, although I'm not generally fond of or leaning towards Sony solutions in general.

The x100 is neat, but fixed focal lens - not for me, I could just put a prime on the K5 for the $.
The x10 - maybe. Oddball sensor size, crop factor of almost 4, still larger than some, but not so much bigger than cams like the S95 or G12. The non removable lens has a decent range to it, not sure on image quality.

i'm thinking Nikon probably did hit the sweet spot overall on sensor size, although with lens, I'm not positive that it's not much smaller than a micro 4/3rds.. still, a 1 series and 10-30mm might not be too bad in the next generation or so.

Granted, systems like the Q, Nikon 1 are also way over-priced currently, IMO - I'm not looking for a second entire system for that kind of $. An x10 ILC, or v1/j1 at 1/2 to 2/3rds of the current cost starts to look reasonably compelling, though. Same for the Q, potentially, but not at the asking prices today. Give me a smaller system with decent quality with a useful single lens for ~$500, with a few future upgrades like one additional zoom or prime lens, not $900 camera + $300 lens + $250 evf + < more >.

I guess I'm looking for an ILC version of the x10, or a maybe a v1 at half the price. If I had to pick one today as a real consideration, it would probably be the x10 for size vs expected performance and usefulness/preferences. Of course, I'd also prefer it to be WR, but..

10-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Will wait and see what the next offering is. But most likely to get another DSLR.
10-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I want a Fujifilm Finepix x100; that is, if they actually exist. Considering B&H (and everybody else) has shown them as "currently unavailable" for several months, I have my doubts as to whether they do, or ever did, or ever will, exist.
I saw two on the used market, one never used, NIB. Some of those that buy them change their mind after a while and place them for sale.
10-25-2011, 01:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Samsung NX200!
I got the NX100 as a cheap bargain with their 30mm f/2 pancake, and it's a joy to use (and my main cam is the K5, so I'm quite picky with ergonomics), so as soon as the NX200 reaches an affordable price, I grab one.

10-25-2011, 03:26 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Unless I win the lottery and can afford K5...
Either a Samsung GX1, Pentax *ist, K100/200 or K2000... Primarily as a camera for my 7 year old so I can breathe easier when he uses mine... Secondarily as a back up for me if I get anymore event jobs...
10-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure what my next camera will be. I'm really kind of waiting to see how Pentax handles video in their next model. That's the deal-breaker for me.
10-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #22
Pentaxian

My next camera will be for scuba diving. Probably an entry-mid level P&S with separate housing and strobe(s) in the 12MP region. Maybe one of these Sea&Sea or these Sealife w/ strobe arms

So *I* can be the one taking these sorts of shots instead of being the one poking the octopus (It was my first encounter with one, and it was COOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!) :-)

Jim

Last edited by RoxnDox; 02-21-2012 at 12:25 PM.
10-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #23
Veteran Member

This s a tough one. I've curbed my LBA/CBA for now (lack of funds not lack of want)

looking at what is down the road

The upcoming Fuji interchangeable sounds very interesting
The Ricoh GXR holds a lot of appeal
The possible FF Pentax
realistically maybe an upgrade to the K5 when the K3 drops

Of course if a big lottery lands in my bank account
645D with a number of lenses
M9 also with a number of lenses

As it sits right now even a good used film body is off the books for a while
10-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The only problem I have with my K-5 is it's a little too big to take everywhere, and I would like to take a camera with me a lot more than I do now. But the X100 is too slow in operation, the NEX has (supposedly) crap lenses, the m4/3's all have too small & noisy sensors which also rules out the Q & Nikon 1 offerings. The Leica M9 solves all these problems ..... at a price. The Leica M8 is more realistic (second hand) but it is "only" APS-H and has an problem with IR. The M6 is even more affordable than an M8, but it is film.

Basically I keep coming back to my K-5 and limited primes (and hey, who can complain about that combination really), it's hard to beat especially for IQ.... I just wish it were smaller.
I would also like a smaller body (2nd body) sometimes and I have most of the same complaints about the mirrorless market. But I think the Samsung has been overlooked by most (not all) in this thread. They've developed an excellent lineup of lenses (4 pancakes between 16 and 55) and the NX20/200 is supposed to be a big upgrade with regards to the sensor. It's what Sony should have done with the NEX lens lineup. The small camera loses appeal when you're mounting large lenses on it.
10-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I have been entertaining the purcahse of a film medium format camera. It has a romantic feel to it and I'd like to try taking photos with no second chances as it were, force myself to slow down and all that...

I have the k-x at the moment and I can basiclly take it anywhere and it does what I need a DSLR to do (for now at least ). I don't have much need for pocket camera, as I just use my phone. So something that only comes out now and then, to do some nice portraiture work with my kid or take it out to do some landscape work and try my hand at slide film. So, yeah, I think going back to film would be my next option, just to keep things interesting.

Of course, I think I'll be focusing on my LBA for another year or two first!
10-27-2011, 06:13 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Probably an EPM-1 with 12mm or 14mm.
10-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will be buying whatever comes above my K5 and below the 645D - and says Pentax on it.
10-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I will be buying whatever comes above my K5 and below the 645D - and says Pentax on it.
Same here... With my truckload of FF lenses waiting around, I'll be in heaven...
10-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I already have my next camera. It's an old Sakar 5mpx P&S with a fixed lens. I just need to pull the lens and glue on a 1.25in mount that can take C- and D-mount adapters, then I'll be all set.
10-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I already have my next camera. It's an old Sakar 5mpx P&S with a fixed lens. I just need to pull the lens and glue on a 1.25in mount that can take C- and D-mount adapters, then I'll be all set.
will this be called the RicoQ?