Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 'next' camera/2nd camera that you have interest to buy?

Hi all.... while I am happy with dSLR, K5 and the various lenses, there are several other camera that really had me consider getting one. With new technologies/features in these camera that you wish you had in your dSLR. So, what is the camera (other than Pentax dSLR that you own) you consider getting? There is no shame of eying other camera while you still love your Pentax...

Personally, non-dSLR cameras that have caught my interest include:
1. Fujiflim x100 - distinctive stylish and the old school feel; reason I didn't buy (yet): price.
2. Casio ZR line - capable of high speed movie; reason I didn't buy (yet): highspeed mov res not acceptable yet.
3. Pentax WG-1 GPS - all round weather proof outdoor P&S; reason I didn't buy (yet): no raw support & negative review reg. battery.

While not available yet, a Ricoh GXR w/k-mount module (w/ much better video control mode than K5) would probably rank high in this list and will definitely buy if it is not ridiculously priced like the Q.

What about you? Lytro? or other camera that is less mainstream?

Lee

10-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well I do like looks and feelings of the Nikon V1. If it only wasn't so expensive to have it in a full set with all those nice extra's you can ad.
10-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

For me there is little difference between Nikon 1 and Pentax Q. Interesting concept but boring lenses (more so with Nikon). Large sensor mirrorless offer almost no size advantage.

So I still have Powershot S80 as my pocket camera but I may soon replace it. Replacement has to offer good low-light performance and 100ft underwater housing.
10-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

I have two cameras on my wish list - a realistic one and a dream!

The Fuji X-10, the camera Pentax should have made as a complement to the Q.

Classic design, hopefully (it's not out yet) the same nice feel and build quality as the Q, non-interchangeable lens (no dust problem), zoom range surpassing the range of the Q's zoom lens at both ends, and, most importantly, a viewfinder!

The Pentax 645D, 'nough said!

10-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
non-interchangeable lens (no dust problem)
Interchangeable lenses are the selling point of Q. It currently represents the only way of having fisheye capable camera in small pocket.
10-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe the NX20, but I'm hoping Pentax will come up with something better.
10-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #7

I want something highspeed. But for anything with a decent resolution you're looking at $30k or so.

10-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I want a Fujifilm Finepix x100; that is, if they actually exist. Considering B&H (and everybody else) has shown them as "currently unavailable" for several months, I have my doubts as to whether they do, or ever did, or ever will, exist.
10-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #9

I guess I am not too hard to please. I just bought a second K10D, and am quite satisfied. But if I could have another, it would be a Pentax, 645D and a 67II. I have no desire to own any other brand.
10-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I want a Fujifilm Finepix x100; that is, if they actually exist. Considering B&H (and everybody else) has shown them as "currently unavailable" for several months, I have my doubts as to whether they do, or ever did, or ever will, exist.
GDRoth found one in a brick and mortar, but before that he had it on backorder from Amazon, with a 6 week waiting list. There is supposedly stock at a Samy Camera local to me.
10-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The only problem I have with my K-5 is it's a little too big to take everywhere, and I would like to take a camera with me a lot more than I do now. But the X100 is too slow in operation, the NEX has (supposedly) crap lenses, the m4/3's all have too small & noisy sensors which also rules out the Q & Nikon 1 offerings. The Leica M9 solves all these problems ..... at a price. The Leica M8 is more realistic (second hand) but it is "only" APS-H and has an problem with IR. The M6 is even more affordable than an M8, but it is film.

Basically I keep coming back to my K-5 and limited primes (and hey, who can complain about that combination really), it's hard to beat especially for IQ.... I just wish it were smaller.
10-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well, I just got the K1000 that I've been kind of wanting today at the flea market so that pretty much completes my little vintage Pentax SLR collection barring I get insanely lucky the next time I am out there or at the local thrifts and find a black SPII or something similar. That's about the only older Pentax SLR that's still on my wish list, and that's more of an illicit yen, not an actual need. LOL

I'm happy with my K-x in terms of DSLR cameras, but down the road I guess I am likely to grab a used K-5 or some descendant thereof. I'm not quite ready for that yet though, nor can I afford it for the foreseeable future. I've got to earn the $$$ first but eventually I think I want a K5 and the K-x as 2nd body. I'll need two bodies if I really get established working as a pro.

I won't give up my K-x but I guess I'd add a K-5 too eventually if I can ever afford one. If not, maybe a K-r in a while. Again it all depends on how much $$$ I make this next year actually shooting for pay. If I can make $1500, then yeah, I'd love to have one and it would be a sensible thing to do, getting one, but if I don't get enough business no way I'd add anything like a K-5 or K-r to my kit. It just wouldn't be very practical.
10-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have had my K-x for about a year now and I am still learning more and more on it, I too am planning on getting a K-5 as soon as the personal funding permits, I will mainly be getting it so that my K-x can be a back up body but I also am planning on getting my wife into photography and the K-x will make a great beginner camera for her, heck, she can practically just pick it up and take awesome photos right off the bat. She has taken some pictures that even amaze me but she doesn't know she got them.
When she gets good we will most likely be trading the K-x up for another K-5.
We have a couple of Canon Elph point and shoot cameras that we have always been happy with and continue to use them a lot, especially when we go somewhere and luggage space is minimal.
I will most likely stick with Pentax either way, but if they don't come up with a full frame soon by the time that I will be actually purchasing one then I will most likely spring the dough for a sweet ff Nikon.
10-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
Forum Member

I just bought a k5 and am (probably) keeping my kx, so that's plenty for me. If the fuji x100 was interchangeable I'd give it a good looking over.
10-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I ended up getting a Panasonic GH2 for the video features. I still use Pentax lenses - just shot with the DA*50-135 today, so it's a good mix. Shooting video is a whole new ball game (with a whole mess of more stuff to buy!). It's fun.