Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 06:53 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My one 50 has gone a little gold and that does make for a bit of a warmer tone to photos taken with it. I've debated doing the UV thing with that one but it's a pretty subtle effect thus far and at times I rather like it so I've left it alone. The old lenses, the coating does yellow a bit over time. I usually just adjust the WB to sun or tungsten when I am using that lens and that usually takes care of it. If not it's an easy fix in PS. But yeah, shoot RAW. It's so much easier to do that and the end result is a photo you can tweak in 2 secs if you need to in Camera Raw, Photoshop etc. If you're looking not to post process as much though try different WB settings with that lens, see which one works best with it. Making the adjustment isn't all that hard really and it's much more effective than using Auto WB all the time.

10-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Don From The Radio Quote
It's a quick fix for JPG too as far as my experience goes.

And my K200D doesn't like to AWB under tungsten light with any lens. Maybe it's the variations in color temperature between different kinds of tungsten light that it just can't handle.
It,s just as quick to adjust color for JPEG as for RAW, but nowhere near as effective in cases where it's off by much - too much info has been lost in the conversion.

As for why many cameras don't produce results many would under tungsten light, that's because the camera is really only guessing at the color of the light based on the colors it sees in the scene. It doesn't know a white rose in orange light from an orange rose in white light; they appear identical. So if a camera were to render the white rose in orange light as white, it would also render the orane rose in white light as white - and then people would be complaining that their pictures in daylight lacked color.