Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-x focus issue

Hey, I've had my K-x for about a year and a half, and I'm running into a very strange autofocus issue. Sometimes when I am focusing on something and attempt to change to another subject, the camera will try extremely hard to focus, and get within a few mm of the right focus range, and will give up and hunt. I have to turn the camera off and back on again for it to work and it works fine for a few minutes and starts doing this again.

Does anyone else have experience with this issue?

10-24-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have had a K-x for less than a year. I do not fully understand your problem. As I understand your AF is too slow when you press the shutter button half-way second time and try to refocus. The reasons might be many. First, the scene is quite complex (many different objects) and camera tries to detect the object for focusing. You can tray to switch AF modes, for example, try AF 5 points (instead of AF 11 points) or try central point AF. It will ease the job for AF. Second, your lens could have some problems that affect AF. If possible, try some other lens. Third, the problem might be in the very K-x body.
May be some more experienced members of the forum could give more professional and qualified advice.
10-24-2011, 05:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
i'm not sure to understand

But are you
-in low light ?
- AF 11 / 5 / center point(s) ?
- what was the scene you were trying to shoot ?
10-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you using LV or VF, AF.A,S or C? What lens do you use, or does this happen with all your lenses?

10-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's doing it in any focus mode with more than one lens. It just doesn't focus. It gets to the point where everything is just too blurry and refuses to give me focus confirmation.
11-01-2011, 01:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone?
11-01-2011, 06:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Sometimes when I am focusing on something and attempt to change to another subject
It's doing it in any focus mode with more than one lens
jct us 101, just trying to understand and walking myself through it, as after more than a year, you should know it all, but I found that till now I sometimes have to refer to the manual, when I get stuck with something. 1. Live view, or view finder? So, you focus on one object, i.e. half press shutter? When you shift to another object, do you keep the shutter half pressed, or do you release the shutter, and half press again to gain focus on the new object? If you are in AF.C, and you keep shutter half pressed from one object to the other, it should re-focus on the new object. Using AF.A and AF.S, it will not. 2. If you use live view when you get the problem, it might be your settings in the menu, first tab #3, live view, i.e. face detection AF, contrast AF or phase difference AF. I found that if you use Phase difference AF in live view, with AF.C, and keep the shutter half pressed when changing from one object to another, it will not re-focus on the new object, if you use face detect or contrast, it will.
I just hope it is just some of your settings, and not more serious, as my K-x is now about 14 months old with about 12 000 actuations, and till now trouble free.
11-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I reset all the camera settings, so I doubt it's one of those. When I try to refocus and half press on something, the camera refuses to entirely refocus, at which point it won't give me the confirmation or take the photo unless I turn it off and back on again, at which point it lets me refocus and take some photos until the problem starts happening again.

11-02-2011, 02:19 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi!

I am not an expert. However, it seams that you have some problem with the very body of your camera. If you still have a warranty, I recommend you to enforce it and bring camera to a service centre. If your warranty is expired, bring your camera to some service centre or similar place to check it. May be it will be possible to repair your camera or to solve the problem in some other way.
11-02-2011, 02:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

unless I turn it off and back on again
If you have to turn it off and on again, I have to agree with Alberts that you should send it for repair. It seems as if your camera is not "reading" your lenses correctly.
Please let us know if you find out what the problem is, and how to fix it
11-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I have a similar problem. Looks like this is an issue with this particular model
11-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm running into a very strange autofocus issue.
Just trying to isolate this.

So do you get a focus confirmation (green hexagon + beep, if you use the beep) if you manually focus?

If you focus using LiveView, with AF, does the problem happen as well?

QuoteOriginally posted by moshepupkin Quote
Looks like this is an issue with this particular model
Judging from what, a sample of one or two? I doubt it is a K-x specific issue.
11-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

AF takes a huge amount of current and possibly your batteries can't supply it, so I would try new batteries and perhaps clean up the contacts as well.
11-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Just trying to isolate this.
So do you get a focus confirmation (green hexagon + beep, if you use the beep) if you manually focus?

If you focus using LiveView, with AF, does the problem happen as well?
Haven't tried. Don't even know how to try this, because this problem happens once in a while - rare enough to be hard to reproduce, yet frequent enough to be very annoying.

I saw many posts on the internet with k-x having all sorts of AF related problems. I myself have two I've been struggling with for a year and the only solution I see right now is buy a new camera. Just for the record, the problems are:
1. Sometimes the camera just wouldn't AF no matter what I do. Full stop.
2. Sometimes it spontaneously switches from AF to MF and vice versa all the time when I move the viewfinder, even though it is set to AF.
11-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
AF takes a huge amount of current and possibly your batteries can't supply it, so I would try new batteries and perhaps clean up the contacts as well.
Actually, you may be right. I've noticed that there is some correlation between AF problems and batteries.

Unfortunately, it means what I just said - with new batteries the problems happen less frequently, but still do.