Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2006, 08:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
i had always assumed the rising ebay prices to be connected with pentax cameras predating the K10..

i dont think i have seen anybody saying the K10 is a bad camera either.. just its jpegs arent up to scratch compared to what they should be for a mid to high end dslr..

i have a k100.. it has its faults.. i dont try to pretend they dont exist thow like so many seem to be doing with the k10..

trog
So far all he errors on my k10 are due to the user

12-22-2006, 06:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

ultimatlely the user is responsible.. all cameras have their problems/limitations.. u learn what they are and work within or around them..

i took a few indoor "family gathering" pics yesterday.. i had to dial in -1.5 E/V on the camera flash power to avoid massive over exposure useing the cameras inbuilt flash.. the shots were also too sharp and showed too many warts on too many noses..

why my camera over exposes so much with certain lenses and slightly under exposes with others i have no idea.. i know my k100 does it i assume the k10 will do the same but it might not..

camera fault/problem.. i think so.. but once i know it does it.. it becomes user error if i dont make allowances for it..

the 50mm prime i used was the wrong lens for the job.. that was user error.. but no camera is perfect even the k10..

i know u love your k10.. but beware of sounding too much like the pentax fanboy u are in danger of becoming.. i have more troll in me than fanboy.. he he he

too many fanboy type comments brings it out..

trog
12-22-2006, 09:43 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Slipchuck - looks like you need a firmware replacement

Merry Christmas.

Duncan.
12-22-2006, 01:21 PM   #19

Reviewer impact on sale is higly overrated

Take movie reviewers for instance. Most blockbuster movies are actually not liked by the "significant" reviewers.

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
I've been meaning to reply to this message for a couple days.

I find the flare-up over jpg softness, accusations of bias, and general trolling at DPR to be a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. I said in a DPR post that the forum regulars and 1 reviewer, even as esteemed as Phil, will not impact the success of Pentax.
The homemarket is most significant for Pentax. US is the most significant market outside Japan but the real battle is fought in Japan. The rest of the world is not significant enough to determine the Pentax future. I guess the number of users who leave it to Phil's mercy to decide if they should buy or cancel their orders is around 0,00000295 % of the total K10D and the K100D sale. Hardly enough to be significant.

Pentax is offering a combination of feature and image quality at a price not matched by any. Phil said that jpeg's printed larger than A3 would benefit from a little PP before printing big

Now how big a deal is that to a serious photographer preferring to make images accordingly to his own taste and not some predefined taste.
Pentax has several times stated that the Normal jpegs are post processing material and the Bright jpegs are for direct printing.

That means the Normal jpegs are made as neutral as possible and it is up to the photographer to choose the final level of sharpness, contrast, brightness and saturation during PP. This is also the way most serious photographers prefer to work if they don't use RAW that is.

A novice might very well see those Normal jpegs as "tasteless" but that is in fact what Pentax aimed for and so this is actually a compliment.

But what if I don't like the taste offered with the Bright jpegs (and I don't) then I have to say that the competition offers better jpegs for direct printing (not a problem if you like the Pentax flavour of course).

Fortunately I only print big directly on special occasions for family and friends and image quality is good enough to make them happy and that makes me happy as long as I can get the final results I want and by using Pentax I still get the best image quality and workflow for the money. YMMV.

Last edited by dotnik; 12-23-2006 at 06:10 AM.
12-22-2006, 02:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

"Now how big a deal is that to a serious photographer preferring to make images accordingly to his own taste and not some predefined taste."

not a big deal at all.. but are the make or break market for pentax serious photographers.. or are they just "jumped ups" who think they are..

the silly fuss over the jpeg issue kinda makes me favour the latter option..

to me the real money is to be made lower down the market.. the high end offerings are more about prestige..a wee bit like the computer grapics card and cpu market..

a good flagship model is needed just to sell the lower down offerings where the real money is made..

"prestege" is what this is about.. just like the same thing with 600 dollar graphs cards.. all total overkill but cos one beats the other by just a smidge.. the swords are drawn and war is declared..

just like it was in a famouse fiction as regards which end of the egg u should wack before eating your breakfast..

trog
12-22-2006, 04:33 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duncan J Murray Quote
Slipchuck - looks like you need a firmware replacement

Merry Christmas.

Duncan.
My firmware update needs to include a new memory
QuoteQuote:
Take movie reviewers for instance. Most blockbuster movies are actually not liked by the "significant" reviewers
If I see a preview of a movie on TV and it says things like "so and so rates it as the best movie of the year" or "this popular magazine calls it amazing"
I avoid that movie like the plague!!

cheers