Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2006, 09:27 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K10D - Noise - Internal Flash Issue

Let me start by saying that I have owned a K10D since November November 17th . . . yes, I managed to get one of the very first bodies from a dealer in Los Angeles. And, I love the overall performance of the K10D . . . it is about everything that I had hoped for.
I have been involved (on Photo.net) in a string discussing a slight noise that is perceptible when one shifts the K10D body on it's side . . . I would assume, based on the response from Pentax that everybody has this issue . . . Mrs. Regina Brown from Pentax Imaging Technical Support wrote this: "There are moving parts in the K10D. Basically you have a floating sensor which is part of the shake reduction and the dust collection sheet which is part of the dust reduction system. You can feel this parts moving as you are holding the camera whether it is on or off which is normal."

However, I have also noticed that, immediately after a flash exposure, there is an even larger sound of movement within the body. It does not matter if SR is off or on and, I have the auto dust reduction option "disabled". The sound/movement seems excessive and it would be hard to believe that it could be good for the internal mechanism. This morning, I sent an email enquiry to Pentax . . . will post the response.

Has anyone else noticed this issue when using the internal flash???

Since this is my second body, first was one of the models with the flash failure is and was replaced by my dealer, I certainly hope this is not going to require another replacement.

12-20-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rprii Quote
However, I have also noticed that, immediately after a flash exposure, there is an even larger sound of movement within the body.
So the sound is of mechanical nature and happens with if the flash is used, but it is not happening without it and with identical camera position and shooting parameters?

Since this is my second body, first was one of the models with the flash failure is and was replaced by my dealer, I certainly hope this is not going to require another replacement.
Is that the one we discussed on DPreview not firing with flash up and with failed capacitor being the most likely reason?
12-20-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Correct on both counts.

My original failed flash was on a body in the 221x series.

This sound/movement occurs only after firing the internal flash.
12-20-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This sound/movement occurs only after firing the internal flash.
Since flash discharge should not cause any mechanical movement, that makes me believe there must be some mechanical part controlled by the camera software so the sound is unlikely to indicate a malfunction. But I don't have K10/100D so I can not check behavior or the SR system.

12-20-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

However, I have also noticed that, immediately after a flash exposure, there is an even larger sound of movement within the body. It does not matter if SR is off or on and, I have the auto dust reduction option "disabled".
Nothing like that here.