Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Praying Mantis like I never saw before.

Praying Mantis are probably the insect that's most often brought to school for "Show and Tell". I have seen pictures of them everywhere, but I was never able to capture them while their wings were spread out and while they were trying to make themselves look big to frighten the perceived attacker. Did you know that the female Praying Mantis eats her mate after copulation? Be glad that you are of the human race. For more on the subject and more pictures, please visit my blog and you can come back here to leave your comments. Pentax dslrs

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque.

Last edited by ebooks4pentax; 05-31-2008 at 08:44 PM.
12-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did know that Yvon. Many Spiders too. It ensures that no other female gets to take advantage of that male I believe.

Am I the only one that thinks when I look @ that, of that cartoon with the singing & dancing frog who would -only- do it in-front of the one poor sap and never anyone else? ... "Hello Ma Baby, Hello Ma Darling, Hello Ma Rag-time Gal... "

That's a fantastic capture! I wish it was in my collection. Maybe one day.

Last edited by m8o; 12-12-2007 at 04:15 PM.
12-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think they have a lot of character and are a joy to watch and take pictures of, until they bite you when you get too close!

12-12-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
I did know that Yvon. Many Spiders too. It ensures that no other female gets to take advantage of that male I believe.

Am I the only one that thinks when I look @ that, of that cartoon with the singing & dancing frog who would -only- do it in-front of the one poor sap and never anyone else? ... "Hello Ma Baby, Hello Ma Darling, Hello Ma Rag-time Gal... "

That's a fantastic capture! I wish it was in my collection. Maybe one day.

it's not the frog it makes me think of, rather, the alien from Space Balls. lol

12-13-2007, 02:48 AM   #5

The first photo (in the blog) is especially nice! I like it most of all
12-13-2007, 05:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shot by both of you guys. They are an intersting bug for sure.
12-13-2007, 06:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
I think they have a lot of character and are a joy to watch and take pictures of, until they bite you when you get too close!

Excellent rule of thirds, example

Dave

12-13-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found a praying mantis and kept it as a pet for about a month before it bit the dust

I used to go to Petco and buy it crickets... there's nothing like watching one of these guys double fist crickets for hours.

They have spear-type stabbing utensils on the insides of their forearms which they use to skewer the little bugs, then they bite their heads off, and before they finish the first one, go after another, and bite its head off too!

I came downstairs one morning and saw about 15 little headless cricket bodies scattered all over the cage I had him in, and the mantis was looking pretty damn happy

Wish I'd have owned a nice camera then to document it...

(Nice pictures btw)

-Tim
12-16-2007, 05:35 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Butd id you know that the male praying mantis has actually evolved to take advantage of being eaten. The female starts with the head. Usually that means that at first bite the mating would stop because, you know, without the brain, nothing much happens. But he male mantis actually has a second nervous center further down its body that enables it to keep mating, even after loosing its head.
12-16-2007, 06:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xxlyyk Quote
Butd id you know that the male praying mantis has actually evolved to take advantage of being eaten. The female starts with the head. Usually that means that at first bite the mating would stop because, you know, without the brain, nothing much happens. But he male mantis actually has a second nervous center further down its body that enables it to keep mating, even after losing its head.
And just how is that different from humans?